• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2010 8:58 am
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2009
521 posts
8 upvotes

Filling up Pool - Hose vs Trucking in Water

We have received mixed advice from the different pool companies. We got quotes from 4 different companies and it was a 50/50 split.

1. Have the water trucked in. It fills up the pool quicker and costs the same amount if using your hose. When you use your hose you have to pay sewer fees. The water truck gets water at a discounted price, however you have to pay for delivery. So the saving in sewer fees covers the delivery.

2. The water truck get water for the same price that you pay getting water out of your hose. You also have to pay for delivery of the water with a water truck. So the cheaper option is to fill the pool yourself. The quicker option is to use a water truck, but it costs you more (delivery charge).

Which is correct?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6202 posts
75 upvotes
And when you made your own calculations, what number did you come up with? That's the only way to know which one is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
You don't say if you're filling an empty pool or topping it up after opening in the Spring.

When we had our pool installed, we trucked in - it's waaaay faster and you can supervise how the incoming water seats your vinyl liner (I wouldn't want to have to sit by and watch a pool get filled with a hose!). We ended up using the hose to supplement at the time installation because we needed a portion of a tank load at the end and companies don't have a price for part loads.

We're on a well so, while there's minimal direct cost associated with usage, we also wouldn't want to tax our well by filling a 100k+ L pool. Also, since we use a (permeable) winter safety cover, we rarely have to put much into our pool in the Spring - and therefore rely solely on the hose when we do need to top up the pool.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7738 posts
3647 upvotes
My buddy had the water trucked in as well! Took 5 trucks to fill it up.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1863 posts
149 upvotes
Ancaster
Most people use a water truck to fill the pool when new and their garden hose to top it up in the spring after it is opened.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1648 posts
541 upvotes
Kitchener
Can't you just use the nearest fire hydrant? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7113 posts
655 upvotes
im curouis, do you drain a pool in the fall? wouldnt the water freeze, expand, and cause damage.

never owned a pool, just curouis.

Sounds expensive to own a pool
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
Water truck sounds ridiculous, theres alot of pools in my neighbourhood and we have one too, and I've never seen anyone use anything other than the hose in their backyards
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10457 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 15th, 2010 12:11 pm
im curouis, do you drain a pool in the fall? wouldnt the water freeze, expand, and cause damage.

Pool is only drained down to the supply lines in the fall. This is the only way to blow out the lines. Freezing the lines would be catastrophic. Otherwise, the pool does not really need to be drained at all.

Yes owning a pool is expensive. The water is not the expense. The gas to heat it is the big expense, followed by chemicals.
Dec 5, 2007
543 posts
1 upvote
NB
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 15th, 2010 12:11 pm

Remember the ground freezes too so it's not that big a deal if it does freeze. The most important thing is to remove the water from the pipes (so you need to drain the pool below that level) since they are more prone to cracking during the freeze/thaw process. Yes, owning a pool can be very expensive and time consuming.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3287 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
Jamie_Canuck wrote:
Aug 15th, 2010 12:04 pm
Can't you just use the nearest fire hydrant? :lol:
Funny that you say that cause I noticed a water truck a few weeks ago filing at a fire hydrant!
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
521 posts
8 upvotes
I have a fire hydrant on the corner of my lot.

I also have a buddy that is a Fire fighter.

However, I would think this would be illegal :D And in London, someone would be calling the City within about 30 secs.
Jul 20, 2004
639 posts
23 upvotes
michelb wrote:
Aug 16th, 2010 8:50 am
Funny that you say that cause I noticed a water truck a few weeks ago filing at a fire hydrant!
did you also notice that the hydrant had a meter and bunch of valves hooked up to it? The water truck company pays for that water and the meter is hooked up to the hydrant for them so they can be charged for the water
× < >