Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1215 posts
14 upvotes

Filming in Toronto

So i want to do some filming for my website. I have asked the owner of a bar and he is giving me full authorization to film inside his establishment.
Do i have to be concerned about the people that are inside the bar/establishment?

What if i am filming at Dundas square (people obviously walking by). What are the legalities of this if i want to use the footage for my website.
3 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto, ON
you can film anybody in public.

Also once you have permission from owners of property to film. its the same as security cameras. ie you can film in common areas not washrooms or change rooms.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
If you want to really cover your butt, I'd advise of the owner to post a notice in front of the restaurant that for whatever day(s) during so and so time, they may be in your camera shots and by entering the establishment, they automatically give permission for you to use their likeness and appearance at your own discretion.

Regarding Yonge & Dundas Square, it is NOT public space as it is owned by the city I believe. An RFD photo group was once chased away by security there. A few members here can attest to that.

On the other hand, I've shot a couple of bridal parties there during the summers and we were fine and did not get hassled by security?

So YMMV.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1759 posts
450 upvotes
North York
You'll need a big sign at the front of the establishment for people entering the building. If you interview somebody or they speak on camera and such, record yourself asking for their permission and their answer.

For Yonge and Dundas, photos are fine. Video will bea bit more difficult, especially if you have a bigger camera and a tripod. If you stay on the sidewalk, you're fine. If you go up on the stage and catch attention, be careful.