• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2017 1:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
282 posts
101 upvotes

Filtered water

For those of you who drink filtered water at home, do you have an inbuilt system (tap) or just manually filter it with a Brita jug for example?

My Aunt, who is elderly, is asking me for options given that her health is weaker and she feels filtered water would be better. I have no idea as I just drink tap water.

Anyone know what her options/prices are?
19 replies
Aug 18, 2014
224 posts
95 upvotes
Markham, ON
springdays wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 4:05 pm
For those of you who drink filtered water at home, do you have an inbuilt system (tap) or just manually filter it with a Brita jug for example?

My Aunt, who is elderly, is asking me for options given that her health is weaker and she feels filtered water would be better. I have no idea as I just drink tap water.

Anyone know what her options/prices are?
I use a Brita jug
probably much cheaper and easier

inbuilt system is definitely more expensive and require installation if you are not comfortable with shutting off your water, take out your faucets, etc
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1114 posts
68 upvotes
Grimsby
We used a Brita filter for years, good for the mind if not for the digestive benefits. Sometimes peace of mind is as important as actual health benefits if there are any.
Dec 25, 2007
718 posts
246 upvotes
Owbist wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:01 am
We used a Brita filter for years, good for the mind if not for the digestive benefits. Sometimes peace of mind is as important as actual health benefits if there are any.
What are the digestive benefits?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6147 posts
1523 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Using a Brita jug is probably the most expensive and unhealthy way to filter water. Why?

Brita filters are expensive compared to the larger undersink passive filters - one Brita filter (approx $5 each) is good for 378 L (1.3 cents per L) of water while an undersink cartridge (approx $10) may be good for 600 US gallons (almost 2,000 L) (0.5 cents per L) - over the long run. Studies have shown that Brita filters also have higher bacteria counts (due to water sitting in them and the environment where they live for long periods of time) than just tap water. With undersink filters, while they sit in water, they don't get exposed to air and you can run the water for a few seconds before use to flush it out. Also, with undersink filters, you can also get cartridges to filter out lead, VOCs.... which you can't for a Brita.

A basic undersink system will cost in the neighbourhood of $100 + installation which you can do yourself.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
282 posts
101 upvotes
Thanks everyone!

So maybe I can recommend that Metropure2 system then, I assume they will ship to her house in Vancouver.

Very helpful!
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1564 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/ ... fault.aspx
http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/ ... fault.aspx
Doesn't your aunt know that Vancouver's water supply is very clean & relatively chemical free? That's before it goes into the water treatment plants. Take her up to Cleveland Dam to see for herself. For my family, 99% of the water we drink comes out of the kitchen faucet. I've installed a Rainfresh whole house size filter(Model FC355) in the water line going to the kitchen faucet. This way, I didn't have to cut another hole in my counter top & I had an unlimited, ultra high flow of filtered water. Since I'm not concerned about the chlorine or fluoride that's been added to the water, I'm using a sediment filter( Model CF1) to remove any dirt that gets picked up by the water in the holding reservoirs or pumping stations. The filter will last 3 years but I change the filter every year because they're cheap to buy.

Is your aunt bothered by the chlorine taste/smell in her water? If that is the case you will want to use the carbon filter(Model CF1) or the VOC filter(Model VC1) in the filter housing. I picked Rainfresh because it's made in Canada & everything is available at CT.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-re ... =Rainfresh
http://rainfresh.ca/residential-water-filters-Canada
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12902 posts
2845 upvotes
Toronto
I have always viewed Brita filters as a petri dish. Better off with nothing. I recommend a good RO unit especially given that they are so economical these days.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
282 posts
101 upvotes
Thanks Fraser River Rat - she actually lives in the New Westminster area, just outside of Metro Van. Is that the same water supply I wonder?

wil888 - what is RO?
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13983 posts
3525 upvotes
Ottawa
springdays wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 5:12 pm
Thanks Fraser River Rat - she actually lives in the New Westminster area, just outside of Metro Van. Is that the same water supply I wonder?

wil888 - what is RO?
Reverse Osmosis.
I personally drink filtered fridge water.