PC & Video Games

Final Fantasy VII Remake coming 3-3-2020 PS4 (PC, PS5, XBox Scarlet eventually likely)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2019 9:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes

Final Fantasy VII Remake coming 3-3-2020 PS4 (PC, PS5, XBox Scarlet eventually likely)

Right now it is a PS4 exclusive. It will likely make its way to PS5, PC, and XBox Scarlett eventually.

D0ntgiveajack wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 2:00 pm
“Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before,” said producer Yoshinori Kitase. “The game design was optimized for this title as well, and we anticipate two Blu-Ray discs’ worth of gameplay content. The first game in this project expands on the story of Midgar and is such an elaborate retelling that it’s become a solid standalone game in its own right.”

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-re ... 1835393635

Also looks like Tifa went down a few cup sizes

https://www.dualshockers.com/square-eni ... ake-parts/
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jun 16th, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
14 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:54 pm
It probably will come to PC, or at least most have speculated; but, it will PS4 exclusive for some time. Also if this is released as "episodes" as people are saying, this may not be released to PC until after all of it is released on PS4...meaning it could be like 10 years after the original announcement in 2015 that you end up seeing this on PC :eek:

Well I think they all look "more Asian" than I "remember them". Of course this is probably because the primitive polygon graphics of the PS1, even with the higher-quality cutscenes you had to use your imagination a bit as to what they'd look like "in real life". Despite knowing the game was designed/made in Japan, being a young adult living in Canada playing this back then, I still had to apply my own ideals of what the characters looked like so I basically made them into, well, non-Asian-looking people in my head.

In reality, the "more Asian looking" characters are probably what they were originally designed to look like, given this is a JRPG.

All that said, the funny part is I think they made Sep look less Asian, or a least a lot less "anime looking" than before. I mean it's like they completely redesigned him--apart from the hair doesn't look anything like the old one.

Barett looks pretty good though, I think they did a good job on that character in this remake.

Cloud and Tifa are from that Nordic like town of Nibelheim.
Both should be caucasian looking instead. Her gear has Nordic inspired engravings on them. Out of the redesigned character looks revealed thus far, Tifa's design
is the only one I don't like compared to previous iterations.
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/11/18 ... comparison

Going by the original character designs and character origins, Yuffie is supposed to be the only one that is intended to be Asian.

Tifa Lockhart's new character design looks too Asian:

Square Enix should have went with a design similar to the 3D fan artist render that was circulating before the reveal

or even the 2005 FF7 CG Movie Advent Children design
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2234 posts
296 upvotes
I think the official model looks way better than that render, and far closer to the Advent Children model. I dig the thicker/fluffier look to her hair though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5084 posts
1018 upvotes
Milton
Im a big fan of FF7 but not a big fan of buying multiple parts of the same game. Talk about triple/double dipping..
Still, if the first part is only going to take us roughly 20 percent through the original, this could be divided up into as many as four or five parts, though I reckon we'll probably see it release three parts.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/06/16 ... tandalone/
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2234 posts
296 upvotes
I'd bet on three parts too. The pacing of Midgar is significantly faster than the rest of the game, it's the only big continuous chunk ripe for expansion like this. You only spend like fifteen seconds with the Avalanche crew before they're rag dolled for example.

Edit: I guess they could cover the stuff from Hoshi o Meguru Otome too. That would actually be pretty neat.
Last edited by Ascott on Jun 17th, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
The unplayable members of Avalanche are around for about 3hours in the original.
Ascott wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 10:17 am
I'd bet on three parts too. The pacing of Midgar is significantly faster than the rest of the game, it's the only big continuous chunk ripe for expansion like this. You only spend like fifteen seconds with the Avalanche crew before they're rag dolled for example.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2234 posts
296 upvotes
They're around sure, but you don't really do anything with them. The bulk of your interactions with them is the part with Jessie on the train.

Speaking of, daaaaamn they made Jessie cute.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes

I hope SquareEnix does not retcon Jessie's screw up. Avalanche were controversial ethical terrorists in the plot of the original game
but their actions directly or indirectly accidentally got a lot of innocent civilians killed.
Ascott wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 11:51 am
They're around sure, but you don't really do anything with them. The bulk of your interactions with them is the part with Jessie on the train.

Speaking of, daaaaamn they made Jessie cute.

One of the two lead character designers, Roberto Ferrari, based Jessie's new look after his wife.
Tetsuro Nomura probably redid all of the main playable character designs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/c ... fe_franca/

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jun 19th, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2120 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:33 pm
Out of the redesigned character looks revealed thus far, Tifa's design
is the only one I don't like compared to previous iterations.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ifas-chest

Ethics department... aka the killjoy department. The Advent Children design was fine. That was a pretty cool movie, too.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
BYan wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 9:42 am
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ifas-chest

Ethics department... aka the killjoy department. The Advent Children design was fine. That was a pretty cool movie, too.

SJW in 2019 is going to censor the original material in the remake so bad if that is the case.

Things I hope do not get censored but most likely will:

- Frequent swearing by Barret and Cid
- Cid's swearing and verbal abuse towards Shera for ruining his dream.
- The brothel (HoneyBee Inn) in the Wall Market slums run by Don Corneo
- Jessie (the other woman in Avalanche) accidentally being a major screw up as to why civilians died will likely get retconned
- Professor Hojo trying to get Aeris (a human) and Red XIII (a dog-lion type species) to breed together because they are the last of their kind
- The bitch slap fight mini-game between Tifa and Scarlet.

Lines like these:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jun 23rd, 2019 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2234 posts
296 upvotes
That article smells of BS. Tifa has had far more realistic proportions since Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts 2 and kept them for every appearance since. If anything they were asked not to revert her appearance for no good reason. Cloud is on model for his numerous appearances since Advent Children, why wouldn't Tifa be?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2120 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 3:39 pm
- The bitch slap fight mini-game between Tifa and Scarlet.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA I so remember that. That was a moment of hilarity and wtf if there ever was one. So unexpected, too.

HoneyBee Inn is definitely looking at some adjustments if nothing else. It is by far the likeliest scenario to stir up some controversy.
Ascott wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 9:23 pm
Cloud is on model for his numerous appearances since Advent Children, why wouldn't Tifa be?
Because lean, handsome dude full of angst is apparently a male power fantasy (???) and a slim, voluptuous woman is a male sexual fantasy and needlessly objectifying women. Basically, if you're a guy, it's your fault. I don't really get it either. Both ends of the extreme when it comes to the gender wars are pretty stupid, but it's people in the middle who have to suffer for it. Reminds me of that time when a Kotaku writer ranted about how nobody in real life can have Ivy Valentine's figure, and people started posting real-life cosplayers with precisely that figure. I think, personally, we just all like pretty people in our entertainment, regardless of whether or not those people are actually real.

Just funny that this apparently warrants a whole department at Square to look over, though.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
GameTrailers' retrospective of Final Fantasy VII that was saved from their old website:

Dec 2, 2004
274 posts
51 upvotes
I wonder if this Final Fantasy VII Remake coming 3-3-2020 PS4 coincides with the release of the new PS5 maybe in an bundled release day1?

This game is the reason I bought a PS1 console ... back in the day
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
XBox Scarlet and PS5 are likely due out in Oct-November of 2020.

At E3 this year, Microsoft did not do a full reveal of Scarlet, only a hardware announcement without breaking down the specs.
Sony skipped E3 completely this year. It usually goes E3 showcase for new hardware, then launch new hardware in the fall of the same year.

frugal69 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2019 6:14 am
I wonder if this Final Fantasy VII Remake coming 3-3-2020 PS4 coincides with the release of the new PS5 maybe in an bundled release day1?

This game is the reason I bought a PS1 console ... back in the day