Cell Phones

finally got the phone but got suckered into ...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2012 9:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster

finally got the phone but got suckered into ...

hi all
After days of trying to get the Samsung galaxy sIIx from Best Buy in Burnaby (GVR) i finally got it. the reason it took so long was for some reason when after doing all the paper work when we went to pay for it the machines wouldn't wipe all the info and they found out it was happening on all koodo phones and the manager at the time said it was city wide (which i found out later it wasn't). finally went back yesterday and they did it through a backwards way(since the problem still existed) and gave me a screen protector for my troubles (god they are cheap).

anyway they talked me into a product replacement plan for 143$ + tax which came to over 160$ and i used the 100$ gift card towards that . its good for 2 years but afterwards i got real buyers remorse thinking that the phone with tab only costs 225$. so my question is am i right in having buyers remorse and returning the plan or is it actually worth having?

thanks in advance for any input :)
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
9 replies
Nov 30, 2012
44 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tell them you changed your mind about the product replacement plan (PRR)and ask for a refund of the 143 + tax. Be polite but firm, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If they refuse then cancel the whole thing and return the phone to them. Then go to a different store and get the same phone and plan without the PRR. Koodo kiosks themselves usually offer $100 visa card on a new activation, also The Mobile Shop (Superstore/Loblaws) has some good deals at the moment too. Best Buy is ok too, your decision.

I've been with Koodo since Apr 2008 and bought several phones on tab from both Best Buy and Koodo. In my opinion the Best Buy PRR is a waste of money. Koodo already has a decent replacement/repair plan for the first year anyway and maybe it's just me but I've never had a phone break or malfunction in year 2 or 3, only happens in the first year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
thanks for reaffirming my gut feeling buyer's remorse. i think i can get a refund on it without a problem except that its the holidays and not i know they have rules on returns during boxing week. going to call them and ask how i will have to go about this. i called koodo because of the 2 activations screwed my email account with them up and the guy explained how they deal with the warranty so its not like i do the shipping and they have a loaner phones if it does need repairs which i hope it never does.

now I'm trying to figure out what apps to use. so many to chose from...
Jun 11, 2009
767 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
i was lured in with a crappy product warranty plan for my laptop for $200 + taxes back in 2005. Never again. OP, you should return everything back and buy it from RCSS on on tax day if you can. You will save more and you can actually use PC giftcards on groceries
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
RCSS? don't know what that is.(just figured it out - superstore ) besides the 100$ gift card i got 55$ or will get 55$ in reward points and i do have a item in mind for that.

on top of that unless i need to return the phone as well to get the refund on the replacement plan i really don't want to go through all this again. it is very taxing on me -so far nearly 2 hours wasted on just getting the phone not even counting lines, driving, gas and so on.
Nov 23, 2009
805 posts
289 upvotes
Vaughan
i feel so bad I also got suckered into buying a $250 warranty from bestbuy in 08. Worst decision ever my laptop broke and they tried to fix it and broke it even more. Those are *****ing trolls. Now I learned my lesson. Never ever will I spend money on warranty unless its really reallllllllyyy cheap like basically free cheap
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
arberb wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:45 pm
i feel so bad I also got suckered into buying a $250 warranty from bestbuy in 08. Worst decision ever my laptop broke and they tried to fix it and broke it even more. Those are *****ing trolls. Now I learned my lesson. Never ever will I spend money on warranty unless its really reallllllllyyy cheap like basically free cheap
i usually don't unless the price is decent but the lady talked me into it, how easy it was to simply come in and replace - not repair. only other item i have paid a warranty on is my 50 inch plasma TV i bought last boxing day and the reason i did was that they picked the TV and took it for repairs/replacement if they couldn't fix here which was worth it since if the TV does break and i didn't have that i would have a very hard time getting it to wherever it needed to go for repairs due to physical disabilities and lack of vehicle to fit TV.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10435 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, these days everyone sells warranties because the electronics itself makes little return whereas the warranties are pretty much pure profit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
yea and accessories that should come with the item in the first place.
× < >