Shopping Discussion

To finance or not to finance... (Apple Financing)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2016 3:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 27, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Gloucester, ON

To finance or not to finance... (Apple Financing)

Hi!

I have been without a proper laptop for about a year now, and have been making do on my Chromebook. It's alright, but is pretty limited in terms of what it can do. I'm entering into my third year of University in September, and I think it's definitely time to get a pimped out laptop.

I've been looking at the Macbook Pro, and have found one refurbished from Apple that's about 1100$, so with taxes and everything about 1300$. I have recently started a pretty good paying job, and I'll be making about 3500$-4000$ a month for the rest of the summer. I was wondering if anyone has had experience financing a MacBook or any Apple product from them? I already have a TD account so they told me that it would simply be added to my credit card balance, but would not accrue interest for 90 days... seems pretty solid to me. Is this a viable option to start building my credit? Is financing through Apple a good idea? I've read some pretty mixed reviews... Thanks!

Background info: 20 years old, living at home, no expenses.
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5534 posts
1680 upvotes
Space
Either option is fine as long as you make regular payments and pay it off in the allotted time ( no interest charges ). I always take the no interest financing terms ( that have no admin or plan fees ). That way I don't have to drop all the cash at once.
Dec 15, 2013
960 posts
306 upvotes
North of Toronto
julianmeneilley wrote:
Jun 28th, 2015 5:05 pm
So wait for a paycheck and buy it? Why bother with financing or even having a credit card balance when you live at home with no expenses? You should aim for zero debt and pay off any loans you have (creditcard/school debt)
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1487 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
just an aside: macbook pros at that price range (low 1000s) are pretty limited. you cant upgrade RAM, and so you'd want to look for minimum 8gb, plus ssd of at least ~250gb + (can people live with 128gb anymore? in near future, 250gb won't be enough either), which means it'll be about 1300 + taxes.

I suppose it's not a bad idea if you can pay everything off within the 90 days.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2578 posts
1652 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
julianmeneilley wrote:
I've been looking at the Macbook Pro, and have found one refurbished from Apple that's about 1100$, so with taxes and everything about 1300$. I have recently started a pretty good paying job, and I'll be making about 3500$-4000$ a month for the rest of the summer. I was wondering if anyone has had experience financing a MacBook or any Apple product from them? I already have a TD account so they told me that it would simply be added to my credit card balance, but would not accrue interest for 90 days... seems pretty solid to me. Is this a viable option to start building my credit? Is financing through Apple a good idea? I've read some pretty mixed reviews... Thanks!
If you have a credit card already, and taking into consideration that you're living with your mumsy and aren't contributing to household operating expenses (assumed by the "no expenses" backgrounder), put it on your credit card and pay it off with your first paycheque.

You do not want to have the money owing on your credit card when you go back to school, and should definitely use your summer job to pay off the credit card debt completely. At about 20% interest, credit card debt is a killer, and you may be able to get a small line of credit for those emergency expenses.

While living debt-free and paying cash for everything is a great goal, it's not a bad thing to have a small amount of credit available (and paid off, if possible) because it contributes to a good credit score for when you need it, such as for a mortgage.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6807 posts
565 upvotes
mathiewannabe wrote:
Jun 29th, 2015 12:00 am
just an aside: macbook pros at that price range (low 1000s) are pretty limited. you cant upgrade RAM, and so you'd want to look for minimum 8gb, plus ssd of at least ~250gb + (can people live with 128gb anymore? in near future, 250gb won't be enough either), which means it'll be about 1300 + taxes.

I suppose it's not a bad idea if you can pay everything off within the 90 days.
I think that is a stretch. I run my online business in the photography industry predominantly on a 13" Macbook Air - photoshop and lightroom all day long, 4GB 1.4 i5, and it was about $1000. I have a $3000 MBP that collects dusts and like 5 desktops, still can do 99.9% of stuff on the air. People really over estimate what they need even for very processor heavy stuff (especially if he's upgrading from a chromebook and just doing normal computing)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21352 posts
2155 upvotes
julianmeneilley wrote:
Hi!

I have been without a proper laptop for about a year now, and have been making do on my Chromebook. It's alright, but is pretty limited in terms of what it can do. I'm entering into my third year of University in September, and I think it's definitely time to get a pimped out laptop.

If you can't afford a consumer item, don't but it. It's a slippery slope.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17794 posts
1777 upvotes
Space for rent
3 Months without paying any interest. Why not? Just make sure like the other guy said to have it paid off in full in 90 days.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7988 posts
1070 upvotes
Why would you finance a laptop?
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3417 posts
1440 upvotes
Ontario
Why a Macbook?

Why not a decent Windows based laptop for less?

I realize all the cool kids are doing Macbooks, but unless there is a requirement you can get all your work done with a Windows system.

Find an off-lease for a good price.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Jan 26, 2014
882 posts
526 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't listen to these billionaire rfd kids. If you can afford it which I assume you can because you are asking whether or not if you should finance it. I'd say if you are going to be reponsible and make the payments every month, have a good portion of the purchase set aside for emergency and there aren't any financing fees or interest or very little interest. id say finance it at 20 years old your credit is probably non exist and to little, it will help build that.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7988 posts
1070 upvotes
omegadivide wrote:
Jun 29th, 2015 2:24 pm
Don't listen to these billionaire rfd kids. If you can afford it which I assume you can because you are asking whether or not if you should finance it. I'd say if you are going to be reponsible and make the payments every month, have a good portion of the purchase set aside for emergency and there aren't any financing fees or interest or very little interest. id say finance it at 20 years old your credit is probably non exist and to little, it will help build that.
LOL, don't need to be a billionaire to afford a $1300 laptop, especially one who is living at home with no expenses.

The question is, why take on any kind of debt at all when there's absolutely no need or justification to do so?
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
omegadivide wrote:
Jun 29th, 2015 2:24 pm
It takes a billionaire to pay for consumables these days? Regardless I doubt many billionaires got where they are today by financing the fastest depreciating asset available (consumer electronics).

I am so glad I'm not from the self-entitlement now-now-now generation like you if you think it takes a billionaire to not finance a $1000 consumable
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1411 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I vaguely recall reading that this sort of loan is bad for your credit (because the entire unpaid loan could sit on your account for three months, raising your credit utilization). I wouldn't worry too much about that though. It's only three months, and you probably don't need a lot of credit soon. Also, it'll look good once paid off.

Having said that, do you really need such an expensive laptop? I'm typing this on a really expensive gaming PC ($800 tax included), but that's for games.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5503 posts
3402 upvotes
FoFai2015 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2015 10:33 pm
I'm typing this on a really expensive gaming PC ($800 tax included), but that's for games.
:lol: