Finance Program - Afterdegree/Certification

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 4:27 pm
Oct 9, 2008
74 posts
26 upvotes
Terrace

Finance Program - Afterdegree/Certification

Hello, looking to take some Finance program and learn plus add to my skillset. I do have a Mathematics background in my underground, and adding a Finance component seems like the logical thing to do.
I've looked into the CFA, but this is too investment centric, and that is not the direction i'm interested in pursuing.
I'm more interested in Financial modeling for asset purchases (PV's, net present values, real estate, leasing e.t.c) or getting into a finance role in a non-investment segment.

Are there any online programs/training that anyone can recommend. Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
When did you graduate? What kinda of employment experience do you have?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
You can take a look at the Chartered Business Valuator (CBV).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
kevin123456 wrote: Hello, looking to take some Finance program and learn plus add to my skillset. I do have a Mathematics background in my underground, and adding a Finance component seems like the logical thing to do.
I've looked into the CFA, but this is too investment centric, and that is not the direction i'm interested in pursuing.
I'm more interested in Financial modeling for asset purchases (PV's, net present values, real estate, leasing e.t.c) or getting into a finance role in a non-investment segment.

Are there any online programs/training that anyone can recommend. Thanks!
You have math background...CFA is a nice marriage. You will get your way of thinking changed, you will be thinking everything in terms of investments, and it goes around and around in the economy from debt to asset valuations. You'll be deriving standard deviation from a physics-based formula in order to forecast future volatility and asset returns.

Also, there is a segment on real estate valuation, leasing, etc if ur into that stuff. Npv is like learning the alphabets here. Then you will need to form the alphabets into words in lvl2. Then words into paragraphs in lvl3.
To the moon
Oct 9, 2008
74 posts
26 upvotes
Terrace
vkizzle wrote: CPA...
thought about, not fond of accounting, and it is will be a long program for me due to lack of some prerequisite courses.
ProductGuy wrote: When did you graduate? What kinda of employment experience do you have?
graduated mid 2000's - have some analytics, negotiations, contracts, planning types of roles
Redsanta wrote: You have math background...CFA is a nice marriage. You will get your way of thinking changed, you will be thinking everything in terms of investments, and it goes around and around in the economy from debt to asset valuations. You'll be deriving standard deviation from a physics-based formula in order to forecast future volatility and asset returns.

Also, there is a segment on real estate valuation, leasing, etc if ur into that stuff. Npv is like learning the alphabets here. Then you will need to form the alphabets into words in lvl2. Then words into paragraphs in lvl3.
If the CFA was a bit more structured vs study at your own pace it would have been top of my list. I'll have to make a decision on whether i'm ready to commit and put in the time/effort required.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
OP why the finance interest? Why not focus on data and data modeling? Get into becoming a data scientist.
Finance is overcrowded and long work hours.
Oct 9, 2008
74 posts
26 upvotes
Terrace
The role i'm interested in requires some finance background, but it is not investment banking type of finance. This is more for tracking of spending, and basic financial analysis. That is why I don't really want to go into the finance heavy programs, but just something entry level that shows I know the fundamentals. I've been looking at Coursera and there are some courses and certificates that seem appealing. That maybe the route I end up taking.

I have experience as a data analyst - but didn't want to progress that into a more senior data scientist role. The progression in that role was limited, and I just didn't want to be the "data guy". I'm more interested in being the one making the decisions based on data, not just providing it to decision makers.
ProductGuy wrote: OP why the finance interest? Why not focus on data and data modeling? Get into becoming a data scientist.
Finance is overcrowded and long work hours.
Sep 16, 2017
442 posts
339 upvotes
kevin123456 wrote: The role i'm interested in requires some finance background, but it is not investment banking type of finance. This is more for tracking of spending, and basic financial analysis. That is why I don't really want to go into the finance heavy programs, but just something entry level that shows I know the fundamentals. I've been looking at Coursera and there are some courses and certificates that seem appealing. That maybe the route I end up taking.

I have experience as a data analyst - but didn't want to progress that into a more senior data scientist role. The progression in that role was limited, and I just didn't want to be the "data guy". I'm more interested in being the one making the decisions based on data, not just providing it to decision makers.
you do realize the way to get to that level is to be the data guy first. to make yourself more valuable, crunch the data and provide your own recommendations and implementations with the data.
Oct 9, 2008
74 posts
26 upvotes
Terrace
Agreed - Just that in what I've experienced at my current place of employment the data guys were not able to make any significant career progression. I've been able to progress more by branching out into other roles where I can utilize my data skills and produce recommendations, but i'm not THE data guy. At the end of the day, almost all jobs now require data skills, I just don't want to be pigeon holed into that "role"

MasterBD wrote: you do realize the way to get to that level is to be the data guy first. to make yourself more valuable, crunch the data and provide your own recommendations and implementations with the data.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)