Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7913 posts
730 upvotes
abc123yyz wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 5:22 pm
First congrats on the baby!!!

You only have 2 options really- increase income or cut expenses! People have already given a lot of good advice on cutting expenses. You didn't mention if you own or are renting. If you are renting can you find a cheaper place? If you own can you rent out a portion of your home for rental income? Have you cut cable? If you have a cell phone you don't need a home phone as well. If you feel you have cut costs to the bare minimum the only thing you can do is increase income. Plenty of free resume services out there. Get your resume out there and look for a higher paying job. You will probably have to sacrifice on the type of job you want vs higher pay, but you gotta do what's necessary to survive.
Totally agree.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4266 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, baby cost next to nothing compare to the $30/hr piano lessons, $10000/year for competitive hockey later on, and how much university will cost 18 yrs later... get ready for the ride.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1433 posts
554 upvotes
Houston, TX
greg123 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:12 am
Lol, baby cost next to nothing compare to the $30/hr piano lessons, $10000/year for competitive hockey later on, and how much university will cost 18 yrs later... get ready for the ride.
"total cost of ownership" is ~1M :) However YMMV
Funny that "baby business" is very profitable (in general, but e.g. ToysRus maybe took it wrong), but not for "baby owners" :(
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1860 posts
681 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
True, about the university, but .... daycare often costs more than hockey. :) You're getting off easy on the piano lessons - my wife charges $50/hour for violin lessons.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes
Thank you very much again for the wonderful help - very grateful. I'm taking it all on board and will take me some time to organize some of it, and faster on others. And thanks for the Congratulations too - we are happy :)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Jan 8, 2006
970 posts
231 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 2:14 pm
...you can forget about RESP for the moment...and defer until you get stable income. You dont lose the benefit anyways..you can always catch up in the future.

Also...go back to work....you dont need a month off.
If family income is low than can take advantage of additional grants . OP can redirect child benefits straight to RESP.
Jul 26, 2007
222 posts
81 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 6:42 pm
Not all kids are planned. And the return policies suck.

C
You can put it up for adoption. Returned.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
11024 posts
2264 upvotes
Um, shouldn't you think about this BEFORE you have the baby?
Mar 6, 2010
668 posts
68 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
30/hr piano lesson, you must be dreaming. They are easily 75 in Calgary for the group class, and it is an only half hour for one to one.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
235 upvotes
Westmount, QC
hermit1988 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:43 am
30/hr piano lesson, you must be dreaming. They are easily 75 in Calgary for the group class, and it is an only half hour for one to one.
They're around $25-$30 per hour for private lessons in GTA. I guess not enough liberal arts people on Calgary? Hockey or boarding and riding horses should be cheaper than gta to make up for it? Lol
Apr 14, 2015
494 posts
111 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
I've been paying $60/hour for private piano lessons, no discount for having three kids going either. You can usually find cheaper teachers though but you often get what you pay for, or they will raise rates when they don't need to attract new students anymore.
Mar 28, 2012
313 posts
71 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
In addition to watching free listing on Kijiji, Craigslist, Used.ca, don't forget to join local gifting groups such as Freecycle.

I encourage you to try and participate both ways in your neighborhood "Buy Nothing" group - the benefits go way beyond the "material" items. It's not for everyone, but especially with your family far out of town, that close community is your "village" ;)
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
Dec 15, 2007
109 posts
28 upvotes
LAval
lol easy with the piano lessons dear millionaires of rfd...

jeez it's not that hard...

dear op congrats on the baby! just work with what you have, cut the fancy stuff and gimmicks. Don't buy wipes, just take the baby to the shower/sink and wash. Buy diapers on sale with coupons, take advantage of all the free samples. train them early. if you have to buy liquid food, buy it from cheaper places, it's all the same junk. or better off just make your own with leftovers, save and healthier.

i come from family of 5 kids where our father worked just above min wage and mother stayed home, we turned out just fine, no music lessons, NO DAYCARE, no sports but heck street life teach you sports and social life. and im sure the majority of low middle class are like us, we are fine!

so for those idiots who only think about material possessions and are all about not having kids, thank you, i wish you do not have kids so my kids don't have to deal with lowlifes like you!
Apr 14, 2015
494 posts
111 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
The previous poster is correct, it's fine to skip piano lessons and other extras, and those decisions come later anyway. But I will mention that in Alberta, the government offers a childcare subsidy, but also a subsidy that stay at home parents can use to pay for certain classes including preschool and swimming lessons. I don't know if other provinces offer anything similar, but I always mention it because it is not a well-known program.

About baby food, I made it in the blender for my first (cheap). Bananas and canned pears are super easy to just mash with a fork. Baby cereal you just add water. But by my fourth we barely did baby food. He hated the cereal so he just got bits of whatever we were eating, mashed lots at first and gradually less and less. This saves you time because you don't have to prepare extra food, and it gets the baby used to the foods the rest of the family eats right from the start, which helps avoid picky eaters. You can ease them into solid foods like this as long as they are still getting lots of nutrition from breastmilk or formula.
Mar 14, 2010
237 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Many posters here assume you are the birth mother, SpringDays. Are you? Or are you the father?

If you are the mother, you may be suffering from post-partum depression. This is a common occurrence for women who have recently given birth. Please see your doctor for some support and help. Google community centres in your city and find out if there is a moms and tots support group you could attend. If not, they might recommend another drop in group that could help you get back on your feet. There are some maternity benefits available for you through Employment Canada is you were working before the baby was born.

If you are the father, get back to work and look for a full-time or 2nd part-time job. That will help your worry about money issues. Refocus your attention from yourself to a wonderful new baby that is your child. Having a child didn't happen overnight. Some planning re: finances and work should have taken place. If not, you'll have to step up the pace and get your nose to the grindstone for a while. A full-time job is what you need -- it will alleviate your immediate concerns and might provide some health benefits too. You won't find a job on an internet forum, though. You've got to go pounding on doors and looking actively for work.