Finasteride for men (Generic Propecia) 1mg - HUGE price difference from US

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2016 9:32 am
Aug 4, 2015
19 posts
2 upvotes

Finasteride for men (Generic Propecia) 1mg - HUGE price difference from US

Hey all,

Costco pharmacy in Toronto asks for over 400CAD for yearly supply, as if I cross the border to US, Costco US only ask for 54USD for same thing exactly.
This is absurd, is there any way to refill Canadian RX in the US or any service that will convert the Canadian RX to an American one for a low fee?

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1864 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto
I have gotten that prescription filled in Niagara Falls, NY for several years no problem.
One time my doctor forgot to put generic and the pharmacy did not want to fill it. I wrote generic on the scrip and took it to another pharmacy and it was dispensed.
My doctor knows I get it filled in the US and gives me a scrip for 90-100 tablets to last me over a year. I'm pretty sure I paid about $40 for this recently which I thought was higher due to CVS now running Target pharmacies. I may try Sam's Club next year.
Besides the savings I love that my Canadian pharmacy cuts these tablets into quarters for me at no charge.
Aug 4, 2015
19 posts
2 upvotes
I asked Costco pharmacy and they refused to fill Canadian RX, can you tell me which pharmacy filled yours lately?
Apr 1, 2004
533 posts
406 upvotes
gregv wrote: I have gotten that prescription filled in Niagara Falls, NY for several years no problem.
One time my doctor forgot to put generic and the pharmacy did not want to fill it. I wrote generic on the scrip and took it to another pharmacy and it was dispensed.
My doctor knows I get it filled in the US and gives me a scrip for 90-100 tablets to last me over a year. I'm pretty sure I paid about $40 for this recently which I thought was higher due to CVS now running Target pharmacies. I may try Sam's Club next year.
Besides the savings I love that my Canadian pharmacy cuts these tablets into quarters for me at no charge.
I'm assuming your physician also has an American license for him to do that, or else it would illegal

Doctors' prescriptions are only valid in the jurisdictions they are licensed in (Canadian pharmacies do not accept prescriptions from US doctors either)
unless he/she practices and is licensed in both Canada and the US, the he/she will have billing numbers in both countries

so your options are
find one such physician in your area
or go see a doctor in the states
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1864 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto
sponga wrote: I asked Costco pharmacy and they refused to fill Canadian RX, can you tell me which pharmacy filled yours lately?
Walmart in Niagara Falls, NY and various Targets in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area.
Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
On the forums many get Proscar 5mg and cut in half to stretch even further.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1864 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: On the forums many get Proscar 5mg and cut in half to stretch even further.
Yes, that is what I get and cut in 4. Not sure if op found a years worth of 1mg for 54 usd. Nearest US Costco to me is Rochester, NY and op says they don't fill cdn scrips anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)