• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 1:08 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
718 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto

Finding a Google Home Mini

For anyone like me who made the mistake of buying just one Google Home Mini for themselves, and realized too late it would be a good gift for others... (or couldn't get one!) Try Bell, Rogers, or Telus stores!

So I've been checking Best Buy, Staples, The Source, Home Depot, Lowes... with little luck. I did get one Google Home Mini from Best Buy online at $49.99 but was annoyed it was "more" than everywhere else. And Source was frustrating because their website kept showing stock at certain stores, but if I called or went, they always said soldout.

Then I tried a Rogers store. They thought they might have one, but realized they were also soldout. I called a handful of Bell and Rogers stores, and eventually found one at a Rogers store! When I went to pick up, I asked anyways if they had more. They said to try the Fido booth. They called, and I paid at Rogers, then went downstairs in the mall and picked up a 2nd Google Home Mini. Personally, I would have never thought to try a phone kiosk at the mall.

Anyways, with these two, my shopping is almost done. If you've been trying to fine one unsuccessfully (like I had been), I suggest trying the "not obvious" locations, like any of the big phone carrier stores/kiosks. It's worth asking.
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1906 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
Good stuff. Should post it to shopping discussion though
May 22, 2015
153 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON
if you can wait 3-4 weeks you can buy from google https://store.google.com/ca/config/goog ... gI_0vD_BwE

else do what my friend did PM with bestbuy showing google price however that is highly YMMV as the first two times he tried the agent declined saying it is showing "limited quantities" , anyways soon somewhere it will come in stock so you can PM later also ...
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
718 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
wizyyz wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:48 am
if you can wait 3-4 weeks you can buy from google https://store.google.com/ca/config/goog ... gI_0vD_BwE

else do what my friend did PM with bestbuy showing google price however that is highly YMMV as the first two times he tried the agent declined saying it is showing "limited quantities" , anyways soon somewhere it will come in stock so you can PM later also ...
I thought about buying from Google directly, but I really wanted to get one for my parents in time for xmas. And ya, it says the wait time is 3-4 weeks... Obviously should have thought of it sooner, but I didn't think it would interest them. I thought they would look at it like a surveillance device. But they came over, and seemed genuinely interested. And for the price, it's worth getting them one to try for themselves.
Dec 19, 2012
282 posts
133 upvotes
Good suggestion not sure if it belongs in hot deals or not but then again neither would a switch or fingerling at regular price and we all know how that goes on rfd
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
718 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
bgiles wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:07 am
Good suggestion not sure if it belongs in hot deals or not but then again neither would a switch or fingerling at regular price and we all know how that goes on rfd
Ya, I wasn't 100% sure either, but obviously I made the wrong choice, since it has been moved to Shopping Discussion.
Sep 26, 2013
6 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
Picked one up two at Best Buy in Calgary and they price matched the google price ($39.99).
Nov 5, 2017
22 posts
37 upvotes
Fido store has had a consistent stock online for $39. Didn't get charged the environmental fee on them either like I did at Best Buy. Plus, you can sign up for the free Fido Mastercard to get $25 after your first purchase. Makes the Google Home Mini $15 plus whatever tax you pay.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
718 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
5CatsAndHappy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:41 am
Fido store has had a consistent stock online for $39. Didn't get charged the environmental fee on them either like I did at Best Buy. Plus, you can sign up for the free Fido Mastercard to get $25 after your first purchase. Makes the Google Home Mini $15 plus whatever tax you pay.
Wow, that would good with the prepaid MC.