• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2014 7:05 am
Tags:
None
Sep 11, 2011
176 posts
44 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Kaeoue wrote: Thanks for the inspiring criticism guys. I have gone to the gym the past two days and I am planning on making it a daily routine. The past two weeks I've forced myself to at least fit in some push ups, sit ups, and pull ups and have noticed results in the mirror. I work in trades so it somewhat keeps me in shape but I am looking to build more self confidence by hitting the gym.

Being a skinny guy (5'11 145lbs) my main goal is to pack on muscle and get up to 175lbs
Good luck man! I'm 5'11 and 135 pounds and starting at the gym now. I plan to get around 140-145 (Can't afford new clothing so gonna keep it small) but just in better shape!. Last time I went to 175 I stayed there for about 4-5 months but suffered an injury and quickly dropped down.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
2-PLY wrote: I suggest you do your own research for routines and such online at fitness dedicated sites. Listening to one or two people on a deals forum could lead you down the wrong path and you will be disappointed and quit in the end.
But listening to you on said deals site is trustworthy? :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
2-PLY wrote: I suggest you do your own research for routines and such online at fitness dedicated sites. Listening to one or two people on a deals forum could lead you down the wrong path and you will be disappointed and quit in the end.
definitely, go to steroids forums.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
TigerLilly wrote: So back to the original question, is there a place to go look for a gym buddy like OP asked? I've been thinking about that too. I don't have an issue when I'm at the gym but for me it's actually getting up and going there. It's nice to have a person I'm meeting so I don't let that person down. I could pay a personal trainer to do that but it'd be cheaper to find a buddy as opposed to paying a personal trainer :P
I am in the same boat, I was thinking about a gym buddy.... I think I am better off hiring a personal trainer to start as I haven't hit the gym since high school since none of my friends are interested.
Dec 9, 2007
130 posts
8 upvotes
Put an ad on Kijiji?

Looking for gym buddy. Must like the steam room. I kid, I kid.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
if you are ready to listen to the BS talk of a trainer, then go ahead.

not saying all trainers are bad.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Guys, seriously. Pick a gym, become a regular and MAKE friends with other regulars.

The gym can be a very social place.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
If you guys go to Goodlife in Scarborough/North York I could do a workout or two with you.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
onlineharvest wrote: Guys, seriously. Pick a gym, become a regular and MAKE friends with other regulars.

The gym can be a very social place.
And sometimes it can be overtly hostile and unpleasant?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Jorpho wrote: And sometimes it can be overtly hostile and unpleasant?
I think if you frequent a gym for enough time to be a regular, you know which patrons are approachable, and which should be avoided.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
I think the point is that the time between when you start and when you "become a regular" is insurmountably unpleasant.
Nov 17, 2005
290 posts
49 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jorpho wrote: I think the point is that the time between when you start and when you "become a regular" is insurmountably unpleasant.
lol What happened to you at the gym? I've come across annoying obnoxious people but overall everyone is decent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Jorpho wrote: I think the point is that the time between when you start and when you "become a regular" is insurmountably unpleasant.
"insurmountably unpleasant"?

I have to second 2-Ply, are you speaking from personal experience?
Was it like going to high school, being a 'niner' - did you get initiated?

I've been to 'black iron' gyms, globo gyms, and some in between, and generally what makes people feel uncomfortable is feeling like a newb.
But most people are willing to assist. That has been my experience.

In general, people don't really care what you're doing unless you're using a machine completely wrong (pedalling with your hands) or lifting a LOT of weight.
Both of those can be taken care of quite easily. And although many PTs are tools, most should be able to at least show you around, learn the ropes with basic machines, etc until one gets enough confidence to go on their own.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
I think I am odd as I prefer to go to the gym myself and work out alone.....

I like being able to do my own thing at my own pace and really don't need anyone else to motivate me etc....I don't even want the company when I am straining etc....

But I think you can post an ad on Kijiji or even here on RFD - start a thread looking for gym partner etc....

There is probably a social website with an athletic section that you can post a LF thread or something....

gluck!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
onlineharvest wrote: In general, people don't really care what you're doing unless you're using a machine completely wrong (pedalling with your hands) or lifting a LOT of weight.
Did you somehow miss the nineteen page thread about gym pet peeves? Or the volumes of invective directed against people who do curls in the squat rack? (Apparently people who do curls in the squat rack rank somewhere between politicians and kitten-eaters.)
And although many PTs are tools, most should be able to at least show you around, learn the ropes with basic machines, etc until one gets enough confidence to go on their own.
Not for free!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Jorpho wrote: Did you somehow miss the nineteen page thread about gym pet peeves? Or the volumes of invective directed against people who do curls in the squat rack? (Apparently people who do curls in the squat rack rank somewhere between politicians and kitten-eaters.)

Not for free!
I said "in general", and it's true.
Most people don't give a rats @ss what you're doing in the gym.
One can learn the proper gym etiquette in an afternoon of internet browsing, so that can't be a roadblock.

I, and many others have seen that road from being a newb to becoming a 'regular', and it was free from being "insurmountably unpleasant". In fact, it was down right enjoyable! You sound like you had a bad experience and projecting it on everyone else who is a newb.

And when I said become a regular, I didn't mean become an expert, or even be proficient. Just BE THERE. On a regular basis.
We are social human beings and we tend to gravitate to like minded folks, make friends, build bonds, etc.
It has and continues to happen in gyms around the world, between what was previously perfect strangers.

If that is the limiting factor, then that is what should be done.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
onlineharvest wrote: One can learn the proper gym etiquette in an afternoon of internet browsing, so that can't be a roadblock.
Evidently some people never learn.
And when I said become a regular, I didn't mean become an expert, or even be proficient. Just BE THERE. On a regular basis.
Because no one has ever made a snarky comment about people who hang out at the gym and don't do anything?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Jorpho wrote: Evidently some people never learn.
Then they deserve any ridicule, no?
If one makes no effort to conform to a standard of etiquette, be it at the gym, or anywhere else, who is to blame for that?
The gym?
Because no one has ever made a snarky comment about people who hang out at the gym and don't do anything?
I don't mean LITERALLY just be there.

Drink your coffee today? ;)
I mean actually doing something, there in the physical building otherwise known as a gym - this should be apparent.

People only use the treadmill and some machines ALL THE TIME - they don't get ridicule. AND they get to meet new people too.

It's funny how maniac you sound about the gym environment. Is it living in a digital age that the only way to meet new people is through an app?
Smile, say hello, etc

Its like all forms of social contact are foreign issues that must be explored like they are the surface of Mars.
Be. Smile. Talk. Converse. We need a handbook...