• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2018 8:02 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2012
125 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga, Canada

Finding honest or reputable vets

Hi we’re soon to be first time dog owners (5 months old rescue). And a friend was warning us about many vets who tend to optimize for their profit as opposed to the dogs health. Wondering how valid this claim is and how we may go about finding a vet.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1919 posts
506 upvotes
Like anything else there will be good people and bad people. Your best bet is to find someone that's recommended by someone whose judgement you trust.
Jun 7, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
I have been to many vets since my two dogs and cannot say any more amazing things about Dr. Judge in Milton. James Snow Parkway. He has never pushed me/family to do anything. Honest with his opinions and always explained things to us. We never felt rushed. He is open 24/7. His wife runs the front sometimes- she and their other 2 receptionists are both soooo genuinely caring. Highly recommended. His prices are also fairly competitive. We have never felt cheated or misled.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2691 posts
890 upvotes
Toronto
sguptaet wrote:
May 9th, 2018 8:28 am
And a friend was warning us about many vets who tend to optimize for their profit as opposed to the dogs health. Wondering how valid this claim is and how we may go about finding a vet.
I get what your friend is saying but I would not put it in those words. Our previous vet sold his practice to what I call a "corporate" chain. Small items kept getting added to the bill that can quickly add up. We went back for a follow up before we scheduled some surgery we had a treatment plan for. Expecting to have the vet do the follow up rather than the vet tech we asked to speak to the vet as we had some questions about the upcoming surgery. The instant response was " it will cost so much for 10 min". That did it, we moved on.

We now travel to Mississauga to a vet we are comfortable with. We don't get dinged for all the extra's and happily pay the reasonable charges for what we receive.
Send me a PM if you would like their contact info.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Jun 29th, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2012
125 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga, Canada
I will PM you thanks for sharing your experiences
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1573 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I recommend Mississauga Animal Hospital. Dr Walker (there are 2 and they are father and son and both awesome!) in Mississauga (on Dundas ...west of the 427). Looked extensively for a vet and couldn't believe the reviews until I went.

Most dishonest vet- Clarkson Village Animal Hospital.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2691 posts
890 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 3:11 pm
I recommend Mississauga Animal Hospital. Dr Walker (there are 2 and they are father and son and both awesome!) in Mississauga (on Dundas ...west of the 427). Looked extensively for a vet and couldn't believe the reviews until I went.
+1
Can't comment on the other.
Jun 13, 2018
22 posts
13 upvotes
Best vet I ever went to hands down was Dr. McGarragle in Toronto on Danforth between Dawes Rd and Main St in Toronto. Sadly he passed away. He was excellent and had very fair prices. One time my cat ran out of the house and got hit by a car and I ran her to the vet right away and he did surgery to save her life immediately. She was being sedated within 5 minutes of coming through the door.

Second best vet I've ever gone to is my current vet, Pickering Animal Hospital. She's a super nice lady and is very kind and gentle and is a good vet with good prices.

Worst vet I ever went to was Millenium City vet in Pickering. They were very rough with my parrot when he was sick. I hate those people.

HTH.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)