Home & Garden

Finding survey pins on 30 year old lot, for new fence.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2019 11:25 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley

Finding survey pins on 30 year old lot, for new fence.

I am going to get 2 new fences built on a 30 year old house, in a rural area. To make sure I put the fence in the right place, I am looking for the survey pins. I have found 1 of the 3 that I need to place it. I cannot find the other ones.

As I do not have original building lot docs, I have taken the following actions. Used the regional district online mapping tool. I am use to using them on different cities sites, but this district is behind the times, and I can not get a good enough measurement to narrow it down. I have downloaded from the province the lot survey from the 1960’s, and it helps but now enough to finalize it.

What else do you suggest I do?

You may wonder what the heck I am doing looking at fences in November, but it is on the West Coast, and weather has been lovely for this work.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
There’s a special metal detector called a schonstedt that can be rented to find survey pins. Magnatrack is another detector for survey pins
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley
l69norm wrote: There’s a special metal detector called a schonstedt that can be rented to find survey pins. Magnatrack is another detector for survey pins
Thanks for this. I spent at least 6 hours trying to find it by myself, with no success. Went to a rental store, and rented a schonstedt. Used it for 45 minutes and found it.

Best $27 I ever spent.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
User452441 wrote: Thanks for this. I spent at least 6 hours trying to find it by myself, with no success. Went to a rental store, and rented a schonstedt. Used it for 45 minutes and found it.

Best $27 I ever spent.
That sounds like one of those German words that is for something ultra specific.

schonstedt - finder of metal survey stakes when you can’t do it
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21706 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
Are survey pins conclusive of property lines ie can't they move over time? Wouldnt it be a good idea to advise adjoining property owners that your're putting in fencing based on survey pins.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Jerico wrote: That sounds like one of those German words that is for something ultra specific.

schonstedt - finder of metal survey stakes when you can’t do it
Lol

Actually looks like it’s the name of the company. Which I assume is German

The Schonstedt Instrument Company manufacturers quality products and tools that are used for Underground Utility and Magnetic Location
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
gr8dlr wrote: Are survey pins conclusive of property lines ie can't they move over time? Wouldnt it be a good idea to advise adjoining property owners that your're putting in fencing based on survey pins.
Yes, pins can become "disturbed", so you have to both:
a) examine the condition of the pin - has it been struck/ bent by heavy machinery?
b) confirm/ compare it's position to the other nearby pins or survey markers / survey monuments

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)