• Nov 28th, 2007 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes

Finishing a basement myself?? Under 5k?

I've recently been thinking about finishing a basement room, not the entire basement but about 540 SF.

I got a few quotes with the lowest coming in at 5k to the highest for $8800 thus far.

The 5k quote included the following

Framing (2 walls require framing, 2 doors)
Drywall, Mud, Tape
Drop Ceiling
Trim
Electrical wiring
All materials and labor

The guy is good and knows what he is doing. We would need flooring on top of this which he does not do.

Then the $8800 quote included the same minus flooring so about 10k with flooring.

My question is, could I do better than the 5k by doing it myself and taking my time. I would have an electrician come in but I would do the framing, drywall, drop ceiling.

I'm a beginner so I'd really be taking my time to learn about doing this and do it right.

I don't think its a huge job or would be super hard.. 3 walls are already framed and insulated its essentially 2 walls that need framing..

Can I do better than the 5k quote all inclusive ??? I mean, it would be amazing do it it myself and do everything for 5k but I;m not sure its possible..
25 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
1136 posts
18 upvotes
Take everything you read with a grain of salt... but in my opinion, there is no better feeling than contributing to your house doing the work yourself... if you know what your doing that is.... :D
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
Dealz-4-U wrote: Take everything you read with a grain of salt... but in my opinion, there is no better feeling than contributing to your house doing the work yourself... if you know what your doing that is.... :D
Thanks. Well, I would be learning as I go along. I mean, I feel I could do it. But could I do it cheaper and as good?

Don't know. I already picked up a few books today and I've got a few skilled people who said they could help with things I don't really get..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
sounds fairly straight forward to me, I'd say you can do it yourself for around $3000, depending on how much electrical work is required
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1196 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
depends on how you are with your hands. Such as, do you work on your car...

If not, why not?

Then are you able to do it physically? Would you have a friend there to help you hold the drywall in place as you screw it in? If not it might be very hard. Framing is not hard as long as you know how to measure and calculate simple measurements, and also know how to use a hammer and nails...

Doors are a bit trickey if your newer since the measurements have to be more accurate.

All in all i say go for it. Try framing one wall. If you like it continue on. If not no harm done except paying a bit for some lumber and nails.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Apr 21, 2004
903 posts
117 upvotes
Pickering
You could do it yourself. But you should weigh the fact that you will require a sizeable investment in tools to complete the project (drill, wood boring bits, masonry bits, pliers, hammers, chisels, measuring tapes, levels, screwdrivers, drywalling tools). It will also take a lot of time. Picking up materials and brining them home, cutting everything to fit and then the actual building. It gets pretty dusty and messy.

On the other hand, the books are useful and the knowledge you gain from this small project may enable you to consider more challenging projects in future years. Also you have tools that you can use for other projects.

If you are the hands on type, then definitely do it yourself. But I do know some people that would do more damage than good when you put power tools in their hands.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't work on my car no. But I've built stuff in the past. I've built fences and done a fair share of wood work.

I mean, I guess I'm either being overly cheap or just cheap.

Everyone I've told the 5k price too has said thats ridiculously cheap for everything minus flooring. But I'm pretty sure this will be the basic of the basic.... Basic doors, very basic ceiling..

But then again, if I do it myself and want to keep costs down I'll be buying basic. So blah, I dont know what to do.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2806 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
lindmar wrote: Thanks for all the replies.
I've built fences and done a fair share of wood work.

Everyone I've told the 5k price too has said thats ridiculously cheap for everything minus flooring. But I'm pretty sure this will be the basic of the basic.... Basic doors, very basic ceiling..

But then again, if I do it myself and want to keep costs down I'll be buying basic. So blah, I dont know what to do.
It sounds like you have basic building skills, so why not give it a try. About half of a contractor's cost will be labour. If you want to take your time and do a nice job, gain the experience of doing the work, and have that sense of accomplishment, then go for it.

I had an old house that required some renovations. At the time, I didn't have the funds to hire a contractor, but we learned to do the work ourselves. Not all of it came out as hoped we for initially, but it was a learning experience.
Some of the work had to be redone over as funds allowed, but looked great after learning from the mistakes the first time.

The same would apply here as a worst outcome. If you don't like your initial finish, you hire a contractor to do it over, or fix it yourself.
Dec 1, 2005
804 posts
209 upvotes
Calgary
If you're remotely handy, and it sounds like you are, you can do it for well under 5k... I am nearing the end of my basement renos ~500 sqft, framing, drywall, electrical, duct work, flooring from scratch (concrete walls/floors) and I'll be right around the 5k mark, doing everything myself...

if i were to change anything, i'd hire out the drywall work as the pros do it quicker, and taping and mudding can be frustrating... and slow...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
If your $5000 contractor starts, he'll use up his $5000 before he finishes and may not come back.

If you do your own basement, you'll start working, you might run out of time, get frustrated and stop.

As mentioned above, there is an investment in tools as well as learning how to use them properly. Be prepared for this.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
If you needed tools, I would recommend the 18volt Ryobi kits for home use. Home Depot has a 9 piece kit on sale for $149 and replacement batteries are only $35. Don't buy crappy tools either, they will take the fun out of renovating
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote: If your $5000 contractor starts, he'll use up his $5000 before he finishes and may not come back.

If you do your own basement, you'll start working, you might run out of time, get frustrated and stop.

As mentioned above, there is an investment in tools as well as learning how to use them properly. Be prepared for this.
The 5k contractor is a good guy and I think its a good price. I'm just weighing the options here. I mean, if I could do it I might take a stab at it.

And yeah, new tools would be great. My question is, I'm sure he can but the materials cheaper than I can, is HD the cheapest place to get materials?

I've already spent $30 of my budget on two books. :-)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4250 posts
155 upvotes
Cambridge
You can likely save about $2000 on this job (considering you'll have to buy a few tools and may have more waste than a pro).

I did my own basement. I did not have much experience, but know some handy people who showed me a thing or two along the way.

The hardest part for me (and for many) is the drywall taping/finishing. It is somewhat fussy work and you will for sure develop skill over time but while you're learning you end up doing a lot of sanding. In general use less compound than you think you'll need while you are learning. Talking to other handy guys, there are very few who look forward to the mudwork. After I got done my basement and my 'apprenticeship' I had lots of requests to come and help or teach others. I am really not that good, or should I say I am getting decent at it but I am slow. Guys who do it full-time are amazing to watch though, they fly through this.

If you enjoy hand work then I'd do it for the experience and there is huge satisfaction when you look at a room you built yourself.

PS the $5000 price seems pretty reasonable to me for that job.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
stevethewheel wrote: You can likely save about $2000 on this job (considering you'll have to buy a few tools and may have more waste than a pro).

I did my own basement. I did not have much experience, but know some handy people who showed me a thing or two along the way.

The hardest part for me (and for many) is the drywall taping/finishing. It is somewhat fussy work and you will for sure develop skill over time but while you're learning you end up doing a lot of sanding. In general use less compound than you think you'll need while you are learning. Talking to other handy guys, there are very few who look forward to the mudwork. After I got done my basement and my 'apprenticeship' I had lots of requests to come and help or teach others. I am really not that good, or should I say I am getting decent at it but I am slow. Guys who do it full-time are amazing to watch though, they fly through this.

If you enjoy hand work then I'd do it for the experience and there is huge satisfaction when you look at a room you built yourself.

PS the $5000 price seems pretty reasonable to me for that job.
Thanks Steve, yah it does seem reasonable especially thats considering all materials, electrical, ceiling doors...

I still want to price out the costs of buying these materials plus extra..
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
lindmar wrote: The 5k contractor is a good guy and I think its a good price. I'm just weighing the options here. I mean, if I could do it I might take a stab at it.

And yeah, new tools would be great. My question is, I'm sure he can but the materials cheaper than I can, is HD the cheapest place to get materials?

I've already spent $30 of my budget on two books. :-)
Home Depot is rarely the cheapest place to buy anything, but they are the most convienent because they have everything in one place. There was another thread about this last week.

Most contractors will not be buying much from Home Depot.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1275 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
I do a lot of drywall taping for people that finish their own basements. Most people do a pretty decent job since it is their own house. But a lot of people take 1-2 years to finish the basement because they are doing it in their spare time.

People work all day and sometimes the last thing you want to do is work in your basement. Unless you are particularly motivated, these projects can drag on for a while. But if you are not in a rush and you sound somewhat handy, then you should be able to tackle the job. What you need to do sounds pretty basic and would be a good learning experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
I'm starting to doubt this and just considering paying the contractor....

:D

I dont know.. I mean hes actually the son of the developer who we bought this house off so hes got access to electricians, hes got access to equipment I imagine...
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
venice_it wrote: I do a lot of drywall taping for people that finish their own basements. Most people do a pretty decent job since it is their own house. But a lot of people take 1-2 years to finish the basement because they are doing it in their spare time.

People work all day and sometimes the last thing you want to do is work in your basement. Unless you are particularly motivated, these projects can drag on for a while. But if you are not in a rush and you sound somewhat handy, then you should be able to tackle the job. What you need to do sounds pretty basic and would be a good learning experience.

Yeah I mean.

I think I can do it. I'm self employed and have the time to work on it every evening. But then at the same time, the local guy, can do it quick and hes done many basements around us, always doing a good job...

Its tempting just to hire him and be done with it.

I'm totally on the fence here looking both ways. I certainly won't let this run on a long time if I do it myself but I'll have to specifically tell myself not to rush since I'm learning...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
lindmar wrote: Yeah I mean.

I think I can do it. I'm self employed and have the time to work on it every evening. But then at the same time, the local guy, can do it quick and hes done many basements around us, always doing a good job...

Its tempting just to hire him and be done with it.

I'm totally on the fence here looking both ways. I certainly won't let this run on a long time if I do it myself but I'll have to specifically tell myself not to rush since I'm learning...
my advice is to pay the conractor to do it...unless you have a personal interest in wanting to learn how to do this type of work yourself, you will find it tedious, and eventually get tired of doing it....and you might even at some point think "why did i want to do this myself"...ive seen many people try and tackle the job, only to learn that they were in over their head...or they just lost interest in the hassle of learning how to do it themselves
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
This price the contractor has given me at this point he said..

Frame, Drywall, Mud, Tape, Wiring, Ceiling, Materials - All inclusive.

Everything except flooring. 5k

Is it cool now to ask questions/negotiate from this point now and ask specifics like

how many jacks - are wall plates included? etc...
doors, doors included? hardware..

I mean, he said all materials...

And can I negotiate with him from this point?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)