Careers

Finishing degree. Is it worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2016 10:36 am
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: How long ago did you go to school? Universities have shelf lives on the courses you take, so the longer you wait the more likely you'll have to take other courses.

But for 6 courses, I'd definitely get the paper. It has value to prospective employers, and if you want to change careers.
It should be ok. However, I may forfeit a couple of credits. Only time will tell. At this point I am simply returning as a Special Student (non-degree), and will submit an application for re-entry to the degree next year. I am still able to see online my course list and grades from all those years ago. The only thing that has changed, ever so slightly, is the course numbering system, and those numbers still show up in the course descriptions for pre-requisites, preclusions etc. Let's see how I do on these two courses I'm taking this fall. That will be the test for me to see if I can handle everything I have on my plate.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
ck1223 wrote:
bewiseman wrote: Thanks, ck1223, and yes, there are lots of interesting paths I could follow with a B.Math with years of programming and sales experience. My finances are certainly good enough to finish the education, provide for my wife and kids, and find work in my new career.

My plan would be to complete the degree and write the three CFA exams over the next three years. I would apply for an Analyst position at the age of 48. I'm really concerned however that they would prefer to hire a young 20 something kid.
You have 18 years or so running your own business and/or work experience. That's worth a lot over a new grad at 20. You can't discount your prior years of work on your resume! You may end up right into a management position and hiring that 20 year old ;)
Actually, I just started the business a couple of years ago. I have about 6 years of management experience, 10 years of programming experience, and a ton of odd jobs I've taken to fill in gaps.