Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 12, 2008
5 posts
Toronto

Fire Hydrant in front of the house

Hi,

Would you buy a town house if there is a fire hydrant in front of the house?

Thanks
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Well, if your unit is on fire, you know the hoses will reach.

Bonus is that cars can't park in front of your place. Negative, you can't park your own car in front of your place.

Lastly, can you deal with dog piss yellowing your lawn around the hydrant?
Apr 11, 2007
193 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
I actually bought a new home in richmond hill. There was a fire hydrant between my home and my neighbour. I didn't give it some thought. However I realized that it would be an advantage for us so that we do not have people parking near our house (we live across a park). In my current townhouse, the fire hydrant location was one of the questions asked by my insurance.. I suppose this was an advantage to me. I don't know if it will have any insurance advantage for me in our new home. Lastly, someone in another thread had mentioned that you can potentially get lower property taxes if your home has a fire hydrant in front of it...
[OP]
Nov 12, 2008
5 posts
Toronto
thanks for all the reply... I just wonder if the house will be harder to sell later because perhaps there is less parking space, like, you cannot park in front of your own house... What is the general consensus on this?
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14196 posts
959 upvotes
Thornhill
dcor wrote:
Jul 15th, 2009 11:05 am
I actually bought a new home in richmond hill. There was a fire hydrant between my home and my neighbour. I didn't give it some thought. However I realized that it would be an advantage for us so that we do not have people parking near our house (we live across a park).
Never thought of that. RH doesn't paint them yellow, right?
dcor wrote:
In my current townhouse, the fire hydrant location was one of the questions asked by my insurance.. I suppose this was an advantage to me. I don't know if it will have any insurance advantage for me in our new home.
They used to ask if I was within 300m (?) of a hydrant... did they ask if you had one right in front fo you?
dcor wrote:
Lastly, someone in another thread had mentioned that you can potentially get lower property taxes if your home has a fire hydrant in front of it...
Curious... does that mean the same for other utility boxes too? i.e., city/utilities are using part of your property? or did the other thread mean that it affected the property's value?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1591 posts
66 upvotes
I've got a hydrant on my property. I was a little sketchy about it when we bought the lot too, but it's been no big deal. I don't mind it really.
Apr 11, 2007
193 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
t3359 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2009 11:16 am
Never thought of that. RH doesn't paint them yellow, right?

They used to ask if I was within 300m (?) of a hydrant... did they ask if you had one right in front fo you?

Curious... does that mean the same for other utility boxes too? i.e., city/utilities are using part of your property? or did the other thread mean that it affected the property's value?

bjl
It's a new build.. We aren't scheduled to move in til next year...
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3012 posts
1017 upvotes
There should be no reason why it should be a problem.

Remember to keep it unburied in snow. It's your responsibility.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Jun 14, 2009
252 posts
Toronto
of all obstructions, this is the only one i will accept because of the abovementioned reasons already:
a) lower insurance (my friend has a house with a fire hydrant in front and he did get lower rates)
b) no parking (i dont like other cars parking in front of my property)

my only fear (pessimistic as i am) is that the hydrant one day might be broken and water gushes up to 30 ft high (just like in the movies)... but my wife tells me im silly for thinking that...
Apr 20, 2009
77 posts
TCWeasel wrote:
Jul 15th, 2009 1:29 pm
Remember to keep it unburied in snow. It's your responsibility.
Are you in the GTA? Remember how much snow we got last year? I don't have a hydrant--it's 2 doors down--but the snow banks in my subdivision were about 5 ft high last year. And the city was handing out fines to whoever didn't have the hydrant in front of their house clear.

Since you can't shovel snow onto the street, if you have a hydrant on your property, make sure you have enough space to pile snow somewhere other than the boulevard around the hydrant.
Feb 6, 2009
130 posts
2 upvotes
I just bought a house with one in the front lawn. Since there is no sidewalk in front as well, it is great for us because no one parks in front. We have a long enough driveway to accomodate enough cars and there is a lot of alternative parking on the street. It does give you a discount for insurance.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2008
5 posts
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies ... Looking from the replies here, I guess there is really no issue with fire hydrant in front of the house... there might be other advantages such as less dollar for the home insurance, and no other parking in front of the house. I am just worried if later on when I decided to sell the property, it will be harder to sell and/or the price will be less competitive compared with other exact same property, but without fire hydrant in front of it... do you think my worry is reasonable/justified?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
Is it a condo townhouse or freehold? If condo, the corporation should keep it clear. Our snow removal guy used to pile all the snow blocking it and we had keep telling him to stop it. He finally got it right last winter. At least, if it is on your lawn, you know that you will clear it out, whereas one of your idiot neighbours may not.

As for insurance discount, when I bought my home they asked about a hydrant and I had no idea where it was. They put me down as within 300 m of hydrant because the agent said that in an urban area everyone should be within 300 m of hydrant. It turns out that the hydrant was right across the street.
Dec 25, 2002
628 posts
197 upvotes
We bought an inventory home that had a fire hydrant in the front. It was obviously there when we looked at the house and it wasn't a negative at all for us. I would say that the fact that there was a hydrant had zero effect on us putting in a offer.

Kelly
× < >