• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2017 9:17 am
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket

Fire Pit for Backyard

Hi All,

Looking for a fire pit for our backyard. Ideally it will sit on the grass towards the back of our yard (conforming to local by laws). Would be nice to have some chairs around the fire during the summer.

Thoughts / suggestions on what to get?
RFD Forums Moderator
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You have a budget in mind?

Since you're looking for a portable unit, I suggest you look at propane units. Don't buy wood burning units. You end up smelling like wood smoke
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Gee wrote: You have a budget in mind?

Since you're looking for a portable unit, I suggest you look at propane units. Don't buy wood burning units. You end up smelling like wood smoke
Budget, haven't really gotten there yet but it would get regular use for sure. Not smelling like smoke would be good too.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
A decent propane unit will cost upwards of $1500. Do you have any other patio furniture that your trying to match?
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Gee wrote: A decent propane unit will cost upwards of $1500. Do you have any other patio furniture that your trying to match?
Oh I didn't realize you meant "that" kind of budget. I'd say up to $500 is more appropriate. Not worried about furniture as it'll be sitting on our grass, not on the deck.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Buy the grate and grill separately. Get the surround slabs separately from a paver supplier.

Or the Burnco kit would probably be a reasonable value since they make the surround blocks locally
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
May 14, 2008
408 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa
Im looking for a $500 propane firepit. However, can these actually stay outside on patio stone by covering it with like a bbq cover?

Id imagine its essentially like a small bbq, but does anyone know for sure?
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
We've had this Outland Firebowl for a year and love it. Throws lots of heat (we used it Christmas Eve, in northern Ontario and were comfortable). It can be moved, as well as stored, easily. I think it's the same model that is in stock right now at Costco for $109. If we want a wood smoke smell we throw some wood chips on it. This thing is nice and sturdy and well built. It's not the fanciest but it has its advantages.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/outland-po ... 0196210131
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
We've had a concrete fire bowl from Dekko for the past few years, natural gas variety:

http://www.dekko.ca/contact/

We bought it from InsideOut Patio in Toronto, near Castlefield/Caledonia area. It was on sale for a great price when we purchased it and has stood up well over several winters. Very happy with it. I could share some photos if you are interested.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Search fire pits on the costco site, they have lots, at reasonable prices.

We have a cheap, nothing fancy, fire pit and love it. Keeps us warm on cooler nights and its great to sit around and enjoy the fire.
That's my 2cents worth
May 14, 2008
408 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes but do you need to store it , or do you leave it our for the winter and just cover them?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Hi All,

Looking for a fire pit for our backyard. Ideally it will sit on the grass towards the back of our yard (conforming to local by laws). Would be nice to have some chairs around the fire during the summer.

Thoughts / suggestions on what to get?
Kind of depends on your taste. My firepit is made with large stones I found in the woods. I dug a large hole (large diameter, not depth) and lined the hole with the rocks. It's not going to win any awards, but then again, neither will any fire pit that doesn't force you to remortgage your home. Keep in mind if you dig a really deep hole, you might need an air line in the bottom of the pit to feed the fire. Not sure how realistic that is for Newmarket, but perhaps you could check Kijiji, or if you have family/friends in rural settings, perhaps they can collect some for you. There's also bricks, which you can usually get for free from construction sites (or on Kijiji). Chip the mortar off and clean them using acid, then you can have a fire pit lined with bricks. That's what I had before I knocked it down and went with rocks. Check google images for an idea of what that could look like.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
The Outland firebowl at Costco was $109.99 now $20 off!! A steal at $89.99.
Apr 8, 2007
321 posts
23 upvotes
bonterra wrote: The Outland firebowl at Costco was $109.99 now $20 off!! A steal at $89.99.
Is this in store? Which location?