Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

FireDoor Lock

Anyone know a lock that can be installed on a fire door, that won't be denied by the fire department that doesn't cost a fortune ?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
Since I get this all the time at work (& since not many people know the difference), this may be a bit lengthy for what you need...

If your door is fire rated (is in a fire wall & has a label on door + frame), all it has to do is self-close & latch - Any UL-listed lock should work.

If it is a fire exit (aka emergency door like a stairwell/rear exit) – It has to be able to open in one motion – Thus why in the commercial sector, most buildings will have push bar panic/exit devices. The need for a panic/exit device will depend on building type/occupancy – This can vary.

In some cases (mainly stairwells), they will be both.

Frequently, people (including the “fire marshals”) will get the above terms mixed up...

Having said all that:

If all you need is a simple UL-listed lock, you can get certain models of residential series listed (ie: Schlage F51CF), but they’re usually special order, so I’m not sure how much extra that would cost you. They’re usually only like $30 for a standard one at the lumber yards though.
Almost everyy commercial grade lockset (e: Schlage A53PD) will come listed, but they cost upwards of $100 usually (although they’ll last a lot longer than a residential one – The innards are completely different).

If you’ve been told you need an exit device, you’re pretty much stuck then. Most of them will be around $400 for a standard grade commercial one & go up from there – There are cheapy old-style swing bars still out there (ie: Dorex stuff), but I wouldn’t recommend them.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
I need an exit device, what could I buy for $450 ?