Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8251 posts
1378 upvotes
Edmonton
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 2:23 pm
Why? The mental picture of me in tight spandex cycling clothing brings you issues?
Moreso your "dramatically above average intelligence" vomit inducing comment
Feb 7, 2004
432 posts
107 upvotes
Haldimand
malecoke wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:58 pm
That's another can of worms that you're opening. Put costs aside, fire department usually beats EMS to most medical calls that I've dealt with, unless its a really low priority service call. If you are a person on the other side of this debate (ie the patient or a civilian aiding a situation), you would wanna see emergency response personnel ASAP, regardless if they are fire or EMS. It is just that much more comforting and assuring when you are the one in distress.
Why does fire best ems to scenes? Because they aren’t busy doing other things. And no I wouldn’t want to see anyone with flashing lights. If I’m having a medical emergency I would want someone who can actually help me. This conversation has everything to do with cost. More specifically adjusting municipality budgets to reflect the fact we need more paramedics and less firefighters.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
183 upvotes
Mars.
Labrie wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 3:37 pm
Why does fire best ems to scenes? Because they aren’t busy doing other things. And no I wouldn’t want to see anyone with flashing lights. If I’m having a medical emergency I would want someone who can actually help me. This conversation has everything to do with cost. More specifically adjusting municipality budgets to reflect the fact we need more paramedics and less firefighters.
Precisely, and there's also a LOT more fire stations than EMS stations.
Don't be a cooch.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
Labrie wrote:
Because there's more firehalls than ems stations

Pretty easy to understand
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17653 posts
1381 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Labrie wrote:
It's not uncommon for EMS to be held up at the hospital with a patient. They can be there for hours at a time before the hospital takes over. This is something that is extremely taxing on them. That being said, Fire crews go through a lot of training for first aid as well. They certainly don't have all the training or all the equipment, but they'll do damn well in a pinch.

Also, firefighters server a different purpose as well, they just happen to also overlap as first response. Paramedics seem to be hitting their target response times currently, so it might be difficult to convince municipalities that they should be taking budget away from Fire to put towards EMS.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3585 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
Labrie wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:42 am
The paramedic program in Ontario is well on it's way to becoming a university degree simply due to the ever increasing scope of practice a medic has these days. Medical emergencies are higher than they have ever been and the fire unions are using this as another way of justifying their exorbitant budgets with the creation of the ridiculous "fire-medic" model. Realistically, volunteer firefighters are fighting more fires than full time services these days.
Isn't the paramedic market already saturated?

Part-Time/Low Employment rates?
Apr 14, 2017
394 posts
117 upvotes
DT Calgary
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:31 pm

Very saturated, but what isn't?
Feb 7, 2004
432 posts
107 upvotes
Haldimand
Evil Baby wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:05 pm
It's not uncommon for EMS to be held up at the hospital with a patient. They can be there for hours at a time before the hospital takes over. This is something that is extremely taxing on them. That being said, Fire crews go through a lot of training for first aid as well. They certainly don't have all the training or all the equipment, but they'll do damn well in a pinch.

Also, firefighters server a different purpose as well, they just happen to also overlap as first response. Paramedics seem to be hitting their target response times currently, so it might be difficult to convince municipalities that they should be taking budget away from Fire to put towards EMS.
Last year was a big year for paramedics as there were a lot of updates to the documents that govern our scope of practice. Volunteer fire departments are changing their tiered response policies to reflect this which results in fire being tiered less and less to medical calls. Full time departments on the other hand seem to be going to more and more calls to inflate their stats. More often than not they do no actual medical care and simply carry equipment for the medics or hold the door. All very courteous but is it worth the cost of creating a redundant EMS system or would that money be better spent on putting more actual ambulances on the road?
Feb 7, 2004
432 posts
107 upvotes
Haldimand
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:31 pm

Historically, yes. However, this year in particular is a big year for hiring. A lot of services are hiring numbers that haven’t been seen in a long time. Even so, it is almost always part time to start. I worked part time for over 3 years before getting a full time position. I worked full time hours but the majority of my shifts were last minute call ins to cover sick/stat time. Every paramedic student becomes well aware of this during rideouts. This is also why a large amount of medics have two jobs.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3192 posts
1327 upvotes
Transit police makes $100k walking around handing out tickets and firefighters only make $90k???
Dec 18, 2016
27 posts
10 upvotes
malecoke wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:58 pm
That's another can of worms that you're opening. Put costs aside, fire department usually beats EMS to most medical calls that I've dealt with, unless its a really low priority service call. If you are a person on the other side of this debate (ie the patient or a civilian aiding a situation), you would wanna see emergency response personnel ASAP, regardless if they are fire or EMS. It is just that much more comforting and assuring when you are the one in distress.
Doesn't that tell you something then? We need more paramedics and less firefighters. Seems obvious. The reason fire is first on scene most times is because there's not a ton of fires these days. A firefighter also makes more than a paramedic, does it make sense to have them do that job.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
WL1980 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:59 am
Transit police makes $100k walking around handing out tickets and firefighters only make $90k???
Transit police also chased down and subdued and arrested that guy stabbing people on the subway too