• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2007 6:20 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
We found a portable one a few years ago one wheels. Works great. When we are done we just put it away in the storage shed.

Sometimes we take it camping if the campsites dont have fire pits already.

We didnt want a built in one because of the kids, and of course mowing around it to
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
fireguy9 wrote: Until someone calls to complain,,, then we show up and force you to put it out or else you get a ticket.
Then we file a complaint aginst you for doing that because we have adhered to all the guidelines? You cannot force someone to put it out if they are allowed to have it...I don't care if your a fireman.
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
4040 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Diamondog wrote: Then we file a complaint aginst you for doing that because we have adhered to all the guidelines? You cannot force someone to put it out if they are allowed to have it...I don't care if your a fireman.
You can meet all the by-law guidelines for your area and still have your fire doused. There is usually a provision in the by-law concerning nuisance. That means all it could take is a neighbour to smell your fire or complain about the smoke for it to be doused.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Diamondog wrote: Then we file a complaint aginst you for doing that because we have adhered to all the guidelines? You cannot force someone to put it out if they are allowed to have it...I don't care if your a fireman.
You obviously dont understand the bylaw,,,,, if someone complains, then then it is not allowed to continue and we show up due to the complaint and inform u of that and ask you to put it out,,,,, if you do not and we had to come back,,, you get a ticket,,, and you can go to court to deal with it and pay a lawyer some big $$$ but in the end you will lose.

There is a provision for this in by law

And I couldnt care less if you get charged,,,, because with that attitude you desere to be charged
Dec 6, 2006
476 posts
Toronto
Thanks for the info, I was looking around for deals on fire pits and came across this thread.

My neighbours have open fires all the time, so none of mine should complain (cross fingers).

I found the following by-law info for the City of Vaughan, it also includes a permit application ($25):

http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/vaughan/f ... /50-94.pdf

Wow no fire between sunset and sunrise.... that means I can have them in the bright sun only? Way to take the fun out of an evening fire....

I don't understand how I would have the fire more than 60 meters from my house, my backyard is not that big...... so I prob wouldn't qualify for the permit... unless from how I read it.. its ok as long as it's under constant supervision from start to finish. (Last page application 1. e))
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Used ours this weekend. The portable one sure is nice
Dec 6, 2006
476 posts
Toronto
Spidey wrote: Used ours this weekend. The portable one sure is nice
Where did you get it? How much?

I've seen pits from $188 (Zellers) to $799 (Brick), just want something to use occassionally when people come over.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
mblunt wrote: Where did you get it? How much?

I've seen pits from $188 (Zellers) to $799 (Brick), just want something to use occassionally when people come over.

I actually got it free using HBC points. Their catalogues have stuff Ive never seen in store to buy.

Its on a stand with wheels, so its easy to move, removable top and a side door.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Loblaws has a nice one. Take a look at the online flyer or better yet in store flyer is hard to see.
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
Dec 6, 2006
476 posts
Toronto
Diamondog wrote: Loblaws has a nice one. Take a look at the online flyer or better yet in store flyer is hard to see.
I've seen some excellent patio furniture at my local fortinos (basically Loblaws for North Toronto). I've seen some fire pits here and there. I couldn't find anything on the online flyer, do you have a link?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
mblunt wrote: I've seen some excellent patio furniture at my local fortinos (basically Loblaws for North Toronto). I've seen some fire pits here and there. I couldn't find anything on the online flyer, do you have a link?
If there is a bylaw against them,,,, then your wasting your $$$ if you have someone complain and if we show up due to complaint,, the fire goes out,,, your on file and no freebies after that usually.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
mblunt wrote: I've seen some excellent patio furniture at my local fortinos (basically Loblaws for North Toronto). I've seen some fire pits here and there. I couldn't find anything on the online flyer, do you have a link?
Go to the loblaws website and access the online flyer when you try a link for the pg it just gives the main flyer page. In the flyer it's the first general merchandise pg but again it is hard to see from the pic best bet is to see in store.
Dec 6, 2006
476 posts
Toronto
fireguy9 wrote: If there is a bylaw against them,,,, then your wasting your $$$ if you have someone complain and if we show up due to complaint,, the fire goes out,,, your on file and no freebies after that usually.
ya thanks... read your previous posts.... well aware of the by-law requirements.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
4 upvotes
If you want a good firepit on the cheap find an old steel semi-truck rim.

My parents own a camp ground and thats what they use, they are sturdy and work great.

My grandparents had a washer machine drum but it looks a little too red-neck. The tire rim looks like it belongs as a firepit.
Dec 6, 2006
476 posts
Toronto
brute33 wrote: a used drum from a washing machine makes the best pit for a bonfire. All the holes for drainage let air come in to feed the flames. I heard you can get them for 10$ from a repair place......
haha someone already recommended something similar. I want something nice looking not homemade. Thanks. ;)
Dec 6, 2006
476 posts
Toronto
Diamondog wrote: Loblaws has a nice one. Take a look at the online flyer or better yet in store flyer is hard to see.
Thanks for the recommendation, I picked up a nice little fire pit for 49.97 from my local Fortinos (Loblaws). Regular price was 69.99. There were like 6-7 left, good buy. I like it cause it's small enough and light weight that I can use it once for marshmellows, clean it and store it away for another day.

Kinda looks like this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

There was also one chimley style pit left for 64.99 regular $79.99.

I know fireguy is going to freak... but these are a nice to have but only should be used if your responsible... and follow local open air fire by-laws. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
mblunt wrote: Thanks for the recommendation, I picked up a nice little fire pit for 49.97 from my local Fortinos (Loblaws). Regular price was 69.99. There were like 6-7 left, good buy. I like it cause it's small enough and light weight that I can use it once for marshmellows, clean it and store it away for another day.

I know fireguy is going to freak... but these are a nice to have but only should be used if your responsible... and follow local open air fire by-laws. :cheesygri

LOL,, no freaking here,,,,being responsible is great,,,,,, I dont make the rules,,,, I like firepits to. I am the bearer of bad news when people complain about the smoke and I inform them of the bylaw. I would love to have one to,, but doesnt look good when this is my job and I violate a bylaw :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
mblunt wrote: Thanks for the recommendation, I picked up a nice little fire pit for 49.97 from my local Fortinos (Loblaws). Regular price was 69.99. There were like 6-7 left, good buy. I like it cause it's small enough and light weight that I can use it once for marshmellows, clean it and store it away for another day.

Kinda looks like this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

There was also one chimley style pit left for 64.99 regular $79.99.

We have that HD firepit and love it. We use it just about every weekend for marshmallows and pie-irons. We also do the Pillsbury turnovers in it wrapped around the double pronged roasting sticks. :D
Mar 30, 2007
749 posts
1 upvote
Here.
Personally, I think it's overkill, a small contained fire in one of these firepits is a primitive human pleasure, but here are the Toronto regulations:

[QUOTE]Open air burning is not permitted in the City of Toronto

Open air burning is not permitted within the City of Toronto except with approval by the Toronto Fire Services Fire Prevention Division.

Open air burning shall not be permitted unless approved, or unless such burning consists of a small, confined fire, supervised at all times, and used to cook food on a grill or a barbecue.

The authority to approve open air burning is provided by the Fire Chief to Chief Officers of the Fire Prevention Division.

Open air burning shall meet a number of conditions. These fires shall be all of the following:

(a) Small.
(b) Confined.
(c) Supervised at all times.
(d) Food cooking on a grill or other TFS “approved” fires.
(e) Outdoor fireplaces are not approved.

Any open fire failing to meet all of the listed conditions shall be ordered extinguished by the Incident Commander. Failure to comply with open air burning regulations is an offense for which a person can be charged under the Fire Code.[/QUOTE]

What's amazing is that retailers carry on selling them without posting a huge copy of these regulations nearby.