• Sep 13th, 2017 10:08 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2008
295 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

Fireplace - Gas or Electric

Hey RFD,

Looking for suggestions on fireplace, as well as gas vs electric.

Did some preliminary research and it seems electric is more cost effective, as well as safe, but a gas would look more "real" since there's a real flame.

Just looking at suggestions...brand, and where to get.

I'm leaning towards electric because of safety and cost..

Currently I have a very old gas one (from previous homeowner) and i'm looking at changing it since it's old and relatively thick (original owners built a wall around the fireplace...I'd like that real-estate back for bookshelves and mounting a TV on top of it.

TIA for any suggestions and tips!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3593 posts
2254 upvotes
GTA
Electric may be more cost effective to install, but it will be more expensive to run. Do you want it for looks or for heating the room? Gas is perfectly safe when installed and maintained properly.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9035 posts
3124 upvotes
Ottawa
If you have a gas line there already just put another fireplace in instead of a glorified TV showing fake pictures of a flame that anyone can tell is fake fire.

If you plan on using it for heat then operating costs will be much higher with electric.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Jan 31, 2008
295 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I think a gas line should already be there...I'd be using it mainly for looks, not really to heat the place

I agree, I do like the look of a "real" fireplace...and real flames.

I was just reading online articles saying electric is cheaper than gas...I guess those reports are old.

Any suggestions on where to purchase and brand?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9035 posts
3124 upvotes
Ottawa
lilpoorpk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:21 pm
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I think a gas line should already be there...I'd be using it mainly for looks, not really to heat the place

I agree, I do like the look of a "real" fireplace...and real flames.

I was just reading online articles saying electric is cheaper than gas...I guess those reports are old.

Any suggestions on where to purchase and brand?
I don't know any dealers in GTA but look for someone who sells Marquis (they're the same company as Kingsman). They are good fireplaces and they'll be $400-500 cheaper than a comparable Montego or Napoleon.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2633 posts
65 upvotes
I was in a similar dilemma.
Take a look into the dimplex Opti-myst , it's Electric but looks alot like a real fire.
I plan to pick up a dimplex 500 cassette myself, its pricey but worth it in my opinion.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2008
295 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys
I'll check those out!

I may just go with gas again...but will check out both options.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7152 posts
2232 upvotes
ON
If it's purely for looks, electric will be cheaper (just don't use the heat function)

But since you already have a gas line there, you might as well take advantage of it.
If you didn't have the gas line already, I'd say electric for simplicity.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8586 posts
526 upvotes
You'll probably end up using it for heat at some point. Go gas 100%. Electric is just rising and rising, and it's gonna EAT your wallet alive.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5883 posts
639 upvotes
I had a gas fireplace that was about 50 years old. A month ago I had the furnace guy come in and disconnect the gas line at the meter and then I ripped out about 50 ft of steel pipe going to the fireplace and then I pulled out the fireplace and scrapped it. I'll be putting in an electric one but not for a while since I'm busy on other projects. The cost of any electric heat if I decide to use it at all isn't much since I don't live in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1477 posts
157 upvotes
I have a gas fireplace on my main floor but decided to go with electric in the basement for these reasons:

1. It was cheaper to buy initially by about 3 or 4 thousand.
2. I'm mainly using it for looks
3. I can turn the flame on but not the heat. I could only run my gas fireplace for about 15 or 20 minutes before the heat became unbearable.
4. Electric was safer for kids (gas fireplaces become insanely hot).

I like having a gas fireplace in case my furnace were to stop working in the winter but for the reasons above I went with electric.