Careers

Firing accountants after the tax season?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2012 8:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes

Firing accountants after the tax season?

So one of my friends was hired back in December to this small firm. He is a CGA and he left his old job at another small firm for this new job because it paid 15k more. At the time the owner said it was a permanent position. Now friday he gets fired for 'performance reasons'. The thing is, not once did performance come up until now and in fact he thought things were going great, so he is pretty sure that the owner is just trying to save money with the busy season over.

Does he have any recourse? I don't know if this is a common thing or not for accountants to deal with as it is not my field, but it seems like a pretty d-bag move. At this point, he cant even get his EI because he was technically fired and not laid off.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
496 upvotes
boredsilly: being fired for incompetence, underperformance etc does not disqualify you from EI. I would tell him to look into getting EI while looking for a new job, it's probably more trouble than it's worth to take recourse.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
2691 posts
380 upvotes
boredsilly wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:20 am
So one of my friends was hired back in December to this small firm. He is a CGA and he left his old job at another small firm for this new job because it paid 15k more. At the time the owner said it was a permanent position. Now friday he gets fired for 'performance reasons'. The thing is, not once did performance come up until now and in fact he thought things were going great, so he is pretty sure that the owner is just trying to save money with the busy season over.

Does he have any recourse? I don't know if this is a common thing or not for accountants to deal with as it is not my field, but it seems like a pretty d-bag move. At this point, he cant even get his EI because he was technically fired and not laid off.

Happens all the time. Could be they only needed him for busy season, could be that his performance was lacking. It is a d-bag move, but the company is better off keeping him on during busy season even though his performance is not up-to-standard. It's that, or hire somebody else during busy season to replace him, which requires time that the partners usually don't have.

He can still get EI. You don't need to have been laid off. He's best to tell future employers that it was a contract position for the busy season, fits the time-frame.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes
boredsilly: being fired for incompetence, underperformance etc does not disqualify you from EI.

He can still get EI. You don't need to have been laid off.

oh really, we both had heard it did for some reason. thats good news because he's not going to sue them or anything, he just wants a few months of EI while looking for another job so he's not entirely living off of savings. Thanks for the tip!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
2691 posts
380 upvotes
boredsilly wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:27 am
oh really, we both had heard it did.

He's just looking for EI so that would be good enough. He's not going to sue them or anything, he just wants a few months of EI while looking for another job so he's not entirely living off of savings. Thanks for the tip!

He can apply. I would have him apply online ASAP, he just needs to wait for them to file his ROE before the claim can commence. I believe there is a two week 'vesting' period, but all said and done he should have EI by the end of May. As long as he didn't quit, he should qualify for EI - given he needs to meet the minimum requirements.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2763 posts
172 upvotes
Classic example of a 'pump and dump' which is why when job searching you should only look out for yourself regarding multiple offers or leaving your job for a new offer.
Apr 28, 2012
716 posts
186 upvotes
QC
How much does it usually cost to sue for severance pay ? Are there lawyers who accept to only get paid if the lawsuit succeeds by taking a share of the awarded settlement/fine ?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
45 upvotes
Flitox wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 9:11 am
How much does it usually cost to sue for severance pay ?
Several months of employment usually does not buy you any severance in Ontario. You have to work number of years for the same employer to be eligible.
Apr 19, 2004
183 posts
43 upvotes
Aurora
How long was he at his previous place of employment before he left to join the new company?
May 10, 2011
72 posts
1 upvote
GRIMSBY
hvc wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:25 am
He can still get EI. You don't need to have been laid off. He's best to tell future employers that it was a contract position for the busy season, fits the time-frame.
All those interviewers will look straight through that one.
× < >