Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Firing my part time employee, do I need to give 2 weeks notice?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2010 12:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1154 posts
143 upvotes
North York

Firing my part time employee, do I need to give 2 weeks notice?

I'm a small office and it's the first time I need to let go one of my part time staff (only works a few hrs on saturday, but has been with me for about 3 yrs now).

Do I need to give them 2 weeks notice or any termination pay (aside from any vacation pay)? I pay them by the hour, and we don't have any company benefits either.

I found this website, but didn't quite understand all the terms completely.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/ ... nation.php
8 replies
Dec 10, 2007
8 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
If they have worked for you for 3 years but less than 4, they are entitled to either 3 weeks of notice or 3 weeks of severance pay.

If they work a fixed amount of hours, say 3 every week, and say minimum wage their severance would be:

3 (hrs) * 10.25 (their wage) * 3 (weeks) = $92.25

plus, vacation pay - 92.25* 1.04 = $95.94

So, you could give them 3 weeks notice, or pay them $95.94 (this number changes depending on the numbers for your employee)

However, if they don't work a regular amount of hours, you have to average out the past 12 weeks and than multiply that number by 3, and add vacation pay. So lets say they worked a total of 84 hours in the past 12 weeks, at minimum wage.

(84 * 10.25) = 861 (total pay) / 12 (weeks) = 71.75 * 3 (weeks) = 215.25 * 1.04 (add vacation) = $223.86
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1615 posts
204 upvotes
If you are firing them for cause then you don't have to give any notice. Why are you going to fire your employee?
Banned
Nov 7, 2010
659 posts
24 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
i would give 2 weeks notice just for courtesy and leave the choice to her if she wants to work for another 2 weeks or not at all

unless she was a terrible employee then just send her home
Oct 14, 2004
921 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
If it were me, I would give her two weeks for every year she worked. She could probably use the money at this time of the year, and personally, it probably isn't likely that she will be hired anywhere else until the new year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1154 posts
143 upvotes
North York
My staff already works Mon-Fri full time at another office, and only works 4.5 each Saturday for me for the past 4 years.

Lately she's been really stressed out when it gets busy, and customers are complaining more about her on a regular basis (she's rude, making some minor mistakes, etc).

She's also doing some "training" these next 2 months for another position (her idea) and asked to be off for the next few saturdays, which I managed to find another person to fill in. I'm still not sure if she'll ask to quit after she's completed her course, but can't really wait that long since I've already trained the new person and would like to keep her for now.
Aug 27, 2006
536 posts
19 upvotes
vonster wrote:
Dec 16th, 2010 10:38 am
i would give 2 weeks notice just for courtesy and leave the choice to her if she wants to work for another 2 weeks or not at all

unless she was a terrible employee then just send her home

I don't think you want an employee working at your place of business who knows they are on their way out AND are disgruntled about the fact they got fired.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5570 posts
161 upvotes
onehair wrote:
Dec 16th, 2010 5:52 pm
I don't think you want an employee working at your place of business who knows they are on their way out AND are disgruntled about the fact they got fired.

Agreed.

I'd suggest just paying them the notice that they are owed in cash (as calculated by the previous posts) and then just send them on their way.

I know it's a business decision - but doing this right before Christmas without just cause? Come on :-0
× < >