• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2018 1:44 am
[OP]
Nov 25, 2006
85 posts
23 upvotes

First Accident forgiveness and denial of renewal all state insurance

UPDATE

So I received a mail this week and now the party that I rear ended has hired a lawyer and is going to sue me for pain and suffering and damages.

So last yr august 2017 I got rear ended a guy and was charge at fault 100% and was considered major even though i diagree, I then got a speeding ticket in Sept 2017 under 15kms and I got a prior speeding ticket in sept 2015 under 15kms as well. All state called and said they won't renew my upcoming policy renewal. Never had any speeding or accident other than what stated in my 17yrs of driving.
Does not first accident forgiveness give me a chance to renew with them.
I currently pay$160/mth.
I quoted with a lot of company with all conviction stated and was quoted in the ball park of $450 to $500 per mth.
Is there anything I can do to renew with all state so that I can take advantage of the first claim forgiveness policy that I have? What are my options?

Thank in advance
Last edited by chiihuey on Feb 28th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9838 posts
6195 upvotes
Edmonton
AFAIK, the "forgiveness" extends as far as your rate not increasing after the first accident. That doesn't mean that they need to continue offering you a policy if they deem you a high risk.

What were you charged with for the accident?

C
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12050 posts
6309 upvotes
Toronto
They don't have to renew with you, even if you have accident forgiveness as you are seen as a high risk driver.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12041 posts
11843 upvotes
Oakville
Sounds like you need to drive much more carefully. Accident forgiveness means they don't increase your rates for that accident, it sounds like it doesn't mean they won't take it into consideration with other offences.
Anyhow, welcome to the world of car insurance, where they make a profit and you get to pay 100% for your damages through raised rates.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24961 posts
9810 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry op. Insurance is their game and they dictate how the game is being played in the end
[OP]
Nov 25, 2006
85 posts
23 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 2:06 pm
AFAIK, the "forgiveness" extends as far as your rate not increasing after the first accident. That doesn't mean that they need to continue offering you a policy if they deem you a high risk.

What were you charged with for the accident?

C
I got charged for rear ending and 100% at fault and major offence. Even though the damage sustained on the other driver car was minimal and my car did not even need any repair as deemed by my company's adjuster.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1476 posts
712 upvotes
so you have 2 speeding tickets and most likely one for careless driving from the accident and the at fault. Yeah, I can see why all state decided not to renew your policy. Its going to be a very rough next 3 years at the min on your wallet. Live and learn.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9838 posts
6195 upvotes
Edmonton
chiihuey wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 4:34 pm
I got charged for rear ending and 100% at fault and major offence. Even though the damage sustained on the other driver car was minimal and my car did not even need any repair as deemed by my company's adjuster.
"Rear Ending" isn't a charge. Careless driving, following too close, speeding... Those are charges. Rear ending is what was the result of the charge.

As mentioned above, if you were convicted of Careless Driving, that's on the same severity as a drunk driving charge in some locations, so it would be expected that your insurer might drop you. Forgiveness only goes so far...

What jurisdiction are you in?

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9126 posts
5420 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Yes, what was the charge? Major offense as in distracted driving?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3674 posts
630 upvotes
Mississauga
Sep 2015 ticket - this won't come off record till Sep 2018
So you likely have 2 minor and 1 major offense on the insurance record.
You're probably considered high risk due to the short time span of the offenses.
You might be able get regular insurance after Sep 2018 or your next renewal. For now, you'll likely have to put up with the high rates.

I have a feeling those under 15km/h tickets weren't really under 15. It was just reduced on the spot by the police.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
481 upvotes
Rockwood
chiihuey wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 4:34 pm
That doesn't really matter at all, you're still at fault for rear ending someone no matter what the repair costs are.

With that said I don't think your renewal denial has anything to do with the accident itself rather all your tickets.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9126 posts
5420 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
None12 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 6:05 pm
That doesn't really matter at all, you're still at fault for rear ending someone no matter what the repair costs are.

With that said I don't think your renewal denial has anything to do with the accident itself rather all your tickets.
THIS

2 minors and 1 major, all within 3-years. That's an undergraduate degree. Plus you have an at-fault accident.

Unfortunately as others have stated, Statefarm has deemed you high risk and therefore has chosen to not renew your policy. Shop around and hopefully when the convictions drop you'll be able to get lower premiums. AT this point though, you're likely to take a hit to the wallet.
Last edited by chimaican on Feb 28th, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2931 posts
1224 upvotes
Waterloo
So you've got an at-fault accident and three convictions (one of which is a major). Your insurance company didn't renew you because you simply no longer qualify as per their filed rules.
Take this as a learning lesson, be more careful, and slow down.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2006
85 posts
23 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 4:46 pm
"Rear Ending" isn't a charge. Careless driving, following too close, speeding... Those are charges. Rear ending is what was the result of the charge.

As mentioned above, if you were convicted of Careless Driving, that's on the same severity as a drunk driving charge in some locations, so it would be expected that your insurer might drop you. Forgiveness only goes so far...

What jurisdiction are you in?

C
I wasn't convicted of anything...since there was no cop. Just went to the Collison center that's it.
I'm in Markham the accident happened in downtown toronto
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11513 posts
6322 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Get rid of the car and take public transportation.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!