Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 26, 2001
306 posts
1 upvote

First Canadian Protection Plans FCPP Extended Warranty -- Experience Please

Hi,

I need to buy extended warranty for my Nissan Xterra I had imported from USA last year. Its below 60K. Since Nissan is not willing to sell warranty for US imported vehicles...the only alternative is purchasing 3rd party warranty. WarrantyDirect refuses for US imports too.

The local Nissan Dealers have diff companies...the most common being FCPP and securedrive. Does anyone have experience using these 3rd party plans.
Since these are pretty expensive warranties I want to be assured I purchasing something worth the money. Please do post your experiece with these companies....Since the local calgary nissan dealers ( Satadium, Sunridge, Brasso ) offer only these 2 choices I am not looking at others presently.

Thank you.
Sanjay
SS
Calgary
51 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
The experience with a third party warranty is not good. You need a service manager or shop that is willing to spend a lot of time on the phone pleading your case if you need to make a claim. Generally they shop will not even begin the work unless you guarantee that you will pay if the company will not and if you have to wait for the company to give the go ahead, it may take a while before you see you vehicle.
This is one of the pitfalls of buying in the US and importing a vehicle. Most know this going in and the money they save is supposed to offset the extra cost.
All in all, you can save your money that you would spend on the warranty and the savings on the price of the car and not bother with it at all. You can do a lot of "warranty" work with that before you regret not getting it. Nissan has a good reputation and just take a chance. Not everyone who buys a Nissan now takes the extended.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3556 posts
67 upvotes
If memory serves, First Canadian is a company started by the Wheatons to underwrite their own dealerships for ext warranty and it just grew to where it is today.

The big thing with one of these 3rd party units is to see what requirements are needed to get you into it (vehicle inspection, etc) who gets to pay for that, and then if something is needed to be done, who decides where the work will be done, if new OE parts will be used, or used parts, deductibles, that sort of thing.

We had someone come in off the street with a 3rd party warranty and we had to jump through hoops to get the work order approved, and then, the warranty provided the parts and they turned out to be from a salvage yard.

If its me, I'm buying a warranty that can be done at my local dealership and uses genuine parts, but also protects me if I'm on the road by allowing me to stop in at other dealers for work. Read the fine print and ask questions.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Jun 9, 2008
3 posts
St catharines Ontari…
:mad: Please be advised not to bye their so called protection plans and watch out for the used car dealer trying to sell it to you they say that you will recieve up to one hundred percent if the plan is not used. So when I bought my used car I was offered a two year ( GUARANTEED PRICE REFUND )
GPR OR 40.000 KILOMETERS which ever occurs first, I called to get my money back and was told that I had to have a THREE year contract and that FCPP sent me a check in the sum of $ 200+ last year,So to my surprise I told them What ! I did not recieve such a thing, The answer was We will send out another check. I am in the hole for $2297.70. This is not over I am Pissed.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3804 posts
266 upvotes
I seem to remember reading from, I believe it was Consumer Reports, that in general, extended warranties are often a rip-off. Overwhelmingly, in most cases, the cost of the extended warranty will be more than what it would've cost you to pay for all the repairs yourself. Also, there seems to be a lot of problems with actually getting repairs done eg approval, & bickering over what is covered and what is not. CR reported that extended warranties had the biggest markup of anything a dealer sells, & that sometimes markup was 50% (eg 50% more than how much the seller expects the actual cost of repairs will cost them).
Sep 29, 2008
5 posts
Edmonton
My wife and I just bought a Mazda 3 from Weber motors in Edmonton.

Fady, the sales manager is a quick talking snake. We opted NOT to buy the protection pkg and as well, no extended warranty.

On the invoice, the finance / fallguy Jeremy explained that, "it's all related to the financing and you only use what you need" Nice try Jeremy.

The internet is a great thing. With the FCPP being $2100, the security etching another $499 and the deposit of $500 not being reflected on the invoice... the buying experience has been poor to say the least.

Take your business to Sherwood park.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2103 posts
32 upvotes
sanjayshroff wrote:
Mar 11th, 2008 10:26 am
I need to buy extended warranty for my Nissan Xterra...
No, you don't.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2001
306 posts
1 upvote
Agree with you. I called the toll free number a d they said a dealer cannot sell this policy for vehicles not purchased from them..So since I bought this in USA, FCPP policy cannot be sold to me for this vehicle...

Damn..saved few grands,...BTW, the dealer in this case was stadium nissan of calgary....scums...
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Sep 30th, 2008 7:37 pm
Check the fine print... A dealer cannot sell FCPP warranty if the car was not purchased from them.

Someone is lying to you.

Wanna make sure: 1-800-381-2580
SS
Calgary
Mar 8, 2005
262 posts
1 upvote
kevinkeenan wrote:
Jun 10th, 2008 1:55 pm
:mad: Please be advised not to bye their so called protection plans and watch out for the used car dealer trying to sell it to you they say that you will recieve up to one hundred percent if the plan is not used. So when I bought my used car I was offered a two year ( GUARANTEED PRICE REFUND )
GPR OR 40.000 KILOMETERS which ever occurs first, I called to get my money back and was told that I had to have a THREE year contract and that FCPP sent me a check in the sum of $ 200+ last year,So to my surprise I told them What ! I did not recieve such a thing, The answer was We will send out another check. I am in the hole for $2297.70. This is not over I am Pissed.
exactly same situation I am in (for 2 cars!) i am told 1 thing about GPR and when I go to redeem with FCPP am told something else, i'll have to speak with the dealers to see what they can do, otherwise off to the BBB
Dec 17, 2008
1 posts
Niagara
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Sep 30th, 2008 7:37 pm
Check the fine print... A dealer cannot sell FCPP warranty if the car was not purchased from them.

Someone is lying to you.

Wanna make sure: 1-800-381-2580

Hey there, I am in the same boat now deciding if I should get an extended warranty on my new car. I was offered a Tricare warranty throught Chrysler and Hyundai and First Canadian through Nissan. Your post surprised me as two of these dealers I did not purchase the vehicle from. I called First Canadian using the number you provided (Thanks) and got a customer service rep by the name of Darren who said that as long as the car was under full factory warranty still (mine is) then any dealer even one that didn't sell the vehicle can sell the warranty.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
Apr 14, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote
Alberta Canada
I purchased the FCPP warranty for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the experience has been less than stellar. Firstly, read the fine print....they use second hand parts whenever they want, often parts which are in worse condition than what they are replacing. I had a huge battle with them over this, they sent an A/C control panel that looked like it had been run over; the dealership refused to install it, hence another battle with FCPP. I caught them lying to me on a couple of occasions with regard to using second hand parts. They told me if I want new parts, I have to pay the difference in price! (needed a new PCM computer $1300.00, used $75.00, I would have had to pay $1225.00 to replace my PCM on warranty!) Needless to say, the used PCM had the same common fault that my defective one had.
My warranty is about two weeks away from expiring, has turned out to be an absolute rip-off.
I recommend avoiding FCPP.
May 4, 2011
1 posts
KINGSTON
jagtech wrote:
Apr 15th, 2009 11:05 pm
I purchased the FCPP warranty for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the experience has been less than stellar. Firstly, read the fine print....they use second hand parts whenever they want, often parts which are in worse condition than what they are replacing. I had a huge battle with them over this, they sent an A/C control panel that looked like it had been run over; the dealership refused to install it, hence another battle with FCPP. I caught them lying to me on a couple of occasions with regard to using second hand parts. They told me if I want new parts, I have to pay the difference in price! (needed a new PCM computer $1300.00, used $75.00, I would have had to pay $1225.00 to replace my PCM on warranty!) Needless to say, the used PCM had the same common fault that my defective one had.
My warranty is about two weeks away from expiring, has turned out to be an absolute rip-off.
I recommend avoiding FCPP.

Thank you for this. I am trying to decide if this is worthwhile for a 2009 Honda Ridgeline. I am going to talk to my regular mechanic (over 25 years with this garage & very happy with them) tomorrow to see if they have any experience with this warranty. If I am undecided I WILL ask to see the fine print & take a copy of this message. If they are allowed to put in used parts for warranty work, I am NOT interested.
Thank you,
kc
× < >