Automotive

First Car 2013 Subaru Crosstrek or 2012 Lexus CT200h

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 8:06 pm

Poll: Which is Better

• Total votes: 30. You have voted on this poll.
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Sport

40%
2012 Lexus CT200h Luxury

60%
Nov 24, 2018
33 posts
25 upvotes

First Car 2013 Subaru Crosstrek or 2012 Lexus CT200h

Hey Folks,

I was hoping you can help me pick the right first car for me. I am 28, accountant and will live downtown Vancouver, BC. From time to time I would like to go to the mountains to snowboard/ski (maybe 3-5 times per year).

I am currently in talks with 2 sellers with the following cars (both similarly priced at ~$19,000).
2) Orange 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Sport (87,000KM)
Pros: Fairly big car (but smaller than SUV), AWD, great ground clearance, It's Orange
Cons: Pretty Loud, Subarus are pretty expensive to ensure in Vancouver, less reliable than Lexus, It's Orange.

2) Black 2012 Lexus CT200h (80,000KM)
Pros: Hybrid which will be great in the city, looks great, much more comfortable and luxurious than Crosstrek
Cons: 1/3 Smaller than Crosstrek, FWD, Low Ground Clearance, It's Hybrid Lexus so repairs could get costly after the warranty is expired.

A couple of other points: It rains in Vancouver A LOT, maybe 30 days of snow per year, no kids, will travel will my girlfriend and maybe a dog. I'm also planning on selling the car in 4-5 years when we decide to have a family.

What do you folks think? Does anyone have experience with either car? Are there any other recommendations?
Last edited by duckhawk1 on Nov 25th, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
They're both slow as molasses, and will have good resale value.

By the sounds of it, you're better served by the Lexus 360 days of the year. Get a Crosstrek rental or something AWD the other 5 days of the year if needed and save the cash you'd spend on insurance and fuel.

I'm a firm believer in buying the car you need for the majority of the time. i.e. you don't buy a truck because you move once every 5 years, or tow once a year .. you rent it for those odd occasions.
Nov 24, 2018
33 posts
25 upvotes
Haha yeah, they're not the fastest cars out there for sure. My concern with the Lexus is that recently it's been discontinued and it wasn't their most popular car. Do you think the repairs could pricey? or will it be using mostly Prius parts?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Toyota hybrid system is pretty bullet proof. I'd get the Lexus if I were in your shoes, hybrid system is going to shine seriously in downtown driving especially compare to Subaru's AWD.

Get a set of all weather tires for winter if you are really concerned with winter performance.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
duckhawk1 wrote: Haha yeah, they're not the fastest cars out there for sure. My concern with the Lexus is that recently it's been discontinued and it wasn't their most popular car. Do you think the repairs could pricey? or will it be using mostly Prius parts?
Drivetrain is Prius, that will be a non-issue.

It's also sold in other international markets, and shared a lot of parts with the Auris (now iM, discontinued soon) if I'm not mistaken.

It's a Toyota Motor Co. product at the end of the day, I would sleep easy at night.

As @jzmtl mentioned, get some good tires. Nokian makes a solid all-weather tire that you can use year-round and still drive the Sea to Sky to boot.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The CT has a very tiny trunk(hatch). Just make sure you are aware of that. Are you going to get a roof box to hold the skis and snowboard?
Nov 24, 2018
33 posts
25 upvotes
I was actually thinking of folding down the 60/40 seats and securing them right in the middle so it might extend up to the dash.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Would be a little uncomfortable without the elbow room, but doable for only a few times a year.
May 5, 2016
434 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
If you are going to care about your car, the problem of getting a 5+ year old car is maintenance/ repair costs. You're going to be swapping quite a bit of parts to get it running like it's new. If you're going around the $19000 bracket why not get a new base model hatchback like the Golf? The new ones have been quite reliable and you can probably scoop a remaining 2018 model for cheap.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Spectre26 wrote: If you are going to care about your car, the problem of getting a 5+ year old car is maintenance/ repair costs. You're going to be swapping quite a bit of parts to get it running like it's new.
Such as?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
2789 posts
3289 upvotes
Sister has a ct200h... its pointless unless you want to to get your hands on the cheapest lexus. No interior space, no power, no utility, no space in the hatch. Going to the mountains? Going on a hike? Going on a weekend trip? Dont buy a ct200h. Want to commute in a hybrid lexus? Ok.
Nov 24, 2018
33 posts
25 upvotes
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to thank everyone for their input. We decided to buy the 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV, although the Lexus was much more efficient and luxurious, it was far too low, small and we didn't feel too comfortable driving it during on the icy roads.

Plus we managed to buy the Crosstrek for $15,800 before tax, while the Lexus was 2 years older and cost $19,000.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
duckhawk1 wrote: I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to thank everyone for their input. We decided to buy the 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV, although the Lexus was much more efficient and luxurious, it was far too low, small and we didn't feel too comfortable driving it during on the icy roads.

Plus we managed to buy the Crosstrek for $15,800 before tax, while the Lexus was 2 years older and cost $19,000.
Enjoy the Subaru!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)