Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham

First Car - '97 Integra - 130k [updated]

Looking to buy a used Integra from a friend of a friend, seems like a great deal for my first car.
Here is the info:
  • Selling car as-is - $1500
  • Car runs well and is in good condition except for minor rust spots around rear tire wells.
  • Winter mats were used year-round, included (basic after-market mats).
  • Hatch struts replaced 2 years ago.
Please note:
  • Exterior retractable antenna needs to be changed (new antenna in packaging included).
  • Radio is disconnected and need to be reconnected to work.
  • One of the rear brake caliper needs service according to Honda dealership at last oil change this august.
  • AC stopped blowing cold this year so needs recharging.
Accident free, and low KMs, not rebuilt. My main worries are for the rust in the wheel wells and the cost of the rear caliper fix. I'm sure I can negotiate a price of $1000-$1200, but how much costs would be on top? Also, would this be a good first manual car? I also want it to last at least 3-5 years, is that a possibility? Some of my friends say that the rust will get it within 2-3y.

UPDATE:

So I got it checked out at my mechanic, and some issues arose:
  • radiator needs to be replaced
  • rear caliper needs to be replaced, but i can get away with just the rotor (i think that's what he said)
  • all the brake pads need changing
  • ignition wires need to be swapped - apparently they looked like they've been chewed by mice :| :| :|
He said it's gonna run me at least $700 to get that all done, this is still not included safetys and emissions, OR the eventual a/c refill or fix that will come ($135)
Looking at ~$2000 to get the car in shape + whatever fees for license/ownership etc. Still a good deal or should I pass?
31 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11979 posts
3170 upvotes
Edmonton
Anything major goes wrong with it and it'll be a junker.

Good thing is you'll be able to get $500+ for it as a parts car in a heartbeat. There is still tons of these and Honda equivalents on the road making lots of demand.

If it has heated leather seats in reasonably good shape, you will have the phone ringing off the hook just for those alone.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Is oil burn an issue? Has the timing belt and water pump been changed? How much money needs to be spent to safety it?
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
I would be weary of buying such an old car as is, unless you have good car exp and know what to look for you should buy it pre certified (But then, the owner might not want to do this because he knows it won't pass safety). For example, if the tires are bald or severely cracked that will cost at least $400-500 for new tires. No one wants to spend that on a 1k car. If there is rust in the wheel wells, there is a high chance of rust along the unibody subframes and suspension. Any sort of rust work isn't worth it on this car.

Basically unless you know what you're looking for during an inspection I would pass on this car.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham
plucky duck wrote: Is oil burn an issue? Has the timing belt and water pump been changed? How much money needs to be spent to safety it?
Oil burn? Timing belt and water pump I have no clue, I'm getting the whole car inspected tomorrow morning at my mechanic. The car is currently being driven, so I think it'll pass safety and emissions no problem.
blainehamilton wrote: Anything major goes wrong with it and it'll be a junker.

Good thing is you'll be able to get $500+ for it as a parts car in a heartbeat. There is still tons of these and Honda equivalents on the road making lots of demand.

If it has heated leather seats in reasonably good shape, you will have the phone ringing off the hook just for those alone.
That's what I'm hoping for, get at least $500 back down the road. And nope just plain cloth seats.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: If it's a GS-R or Type-R then buy it
HA. I wish, just an LS.
UrbanPoet wrote: Rust should be ok. It'll just look nasty.
The a/c will probably stop working soon after that recharge... Just a quirk of old japanese cars from my experience. All the old toyota/honda's ive bumped into had a/c that stopped working. They seem to crap out after about 12 years.
Yeah, aesthetics is the only thing that's turning me off from this. And I heard it's a costly fix, and it'll be a reoccuring issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not worth the cost to fix the rust (sheet metal work required).
If you don't mind it, the car can easily last another 100K KM...tons of aftermarket part options.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham
vkizzle wrote: Not worth the cost to fix the rust (sheet metal work required).
If you don't mind it, the car can easily last another 100K KM...tons of aftermarket part options.
How about painting over it? I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is, or try to do as much work on it myself as possible to save on labour costs. As for aftermarket, are you talking about mods or just parts? I'm gonna keep this car as stock as possible, ain't tryna fulfill the rice rocket fart can stereotype.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
thr333zy wrote: How about painting over it? I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is, or try to do as much work on it myself as possible to save on labour costs. As for aftermarket, are you talking about mods or just parts? I'm gonna keep this car as stock as possible, ain't tryna fulfill the rice rocket fart can stereotype.
You can try to slow it down, but it will eventually rust all the way through.
LOL, aftermarket options, such as brakes, rotors, suspension components, mirrors, buttons etc...you can literally buy them everywhere.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you priced out insurance yet? That era of Civics and Integras were (still are?) stolen and wrecked or stripped with stunning frequency, so insurance was painful.

If the seller can't produce evidence of a timing belt change, you may want to get on that ASAP. 120k kms or 10 years was the recommended interval for Honda products. A snapped belt will convert the engine into a large pile of useless metal bits.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
The good thing is you are taking it to your mechanic to get it properly inspected. Once you get the results back post what needs to be fixed here.

But as others have said, there are plenty of after market parts
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
To quote a legendary former member:

"Any pre 2000 Honda it's rock solid"
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham
CanuckGreg wrote: Have you priced out insurance yet? That era of Civics and Integras were (still are?) stolen and wrecked or stripped with stunning frequency, so insurance was painful.

If the seller can't produce evidence of a timing belt change, you may want to get on that ASAP. 120k kms or 10 years was the recommended interval for Honda products. A snapped belt will convert the engine into a large pile of useless metal bits.
I got quoted for $190/month through Kanetix. It didn't give me the actual insurer, but that as the lowest price. The next one up was from TD I think for $220. Yeah I've read on other forums about how often they are stolen, but is that still a thing? I'll look into the timing belt, thanks for the tips.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham
sickcars wrote: The good thing is you are taking it to your mechanic to get it properly inspected. Once you get the results back post what needs to be fixed here.

But as others have said, there are plenty of after market parts
Will do, things like the disconnect radio, and antennae swap I'm planning to learn how to do that myself.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Is it black? I might know this car.
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
Is this auto trans or 5spd manual trans? If auto I would pass, as that transmission alone makes it no fun at all in an Integra.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham
Ryus wrote: Is this auto trans or 5spd manual trans? If auto I would pass, as that transmission alone makes it no fun at all in an Integra.
Manual. So also my first manual car.
exrcoupe wrote: Is it black? I might know this car.
Yup.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
Once cancer starts,it doesn't stop. It's really the only thing that will stop me from buying a car.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)