Automotive

First Car Accident, what do you think will happen?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 11:01 pm
Oct 7, 2013
78 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON

First Car Accident, what do you think will happen?

I visited my mom this weekend and had parked on the street. The neighbour backed out of his driveway and ended up hitting my car. I was inside my mom's house but my brother who was washing his car on my mom's driveway heard the car hit and ran inside to get me.

When I got outside, the neighbour had already pushed my bumper back and I was only able to get photos of the dent in my car.

I got his name and phone number (I also know where he lives since he's my mom's neighbour), but when I asked for his insurance, he basically said that he's good friends with my dad and he'll pay me in cash. It was my first car accident and did not handle the situation as well as I would've liked. I said okay and got a note from him that basically said that he's willing to cover the damages. I went to get quotes immediately that day. When I called him later that day, he basically said it was too much and he would rather go through insurance. He had my number and said he would send me his license and insurance.

Obviously he did not send me his license or insurance. Later that day I reported it to my insurance company and also filed a collision report about 40 hours later (they were closed on Sunday).

The only information I have from him is his name, phone number, address, license plate and a note that says he'll cover charges. I feel so stupid for not grabbing his insurance. But honestly, he lives right across from my mom so I thought he'd be honest and stay true to his word. And since he hasn't been honest all this time, I'm afraid he's going to deny the accident or try to turn it around on me.

Also, I don't know if this is any useful information, but when I went to report this to the collision centre the police officers ran the license plate and said that the car he hit me with was not in his name. Does that make any difference?

Just really worried and not sure who to talk to. Any insights would be comforting and appreciated, or if anyone has similar stories to share, I'd love to hear what happened.

Thank you
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Accident happens. I shouldn't say don't worry it will work out but you took the cash route other person offered. Only thing you can do is go back to his house tonight and demand his license and plate info or get a quote and hope he pays.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
What did the police say when you reported it? I would guess he's bordering on a hit-and-run charge, since he didn't give you all his information.
Section 200 of HTA:
200 (1) Where an accident occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

(b) render all possible assistance; and

(c) upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his or her name, address, driver’s licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle and the vehicle permit number. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 200 (1); 1997, c. 12, s. 16.

Penalty

(2) Every person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition the person’s licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 54.
I suspect it will come out ok for you this time... You know where the guy lives, you have his name, address, phone number and a (hopefully) signed note. If you need to, you could just get it fixed and take him to small claims court. But most likely, your insurance company will pursue it with him, since they can contact him easily enough.

C
Oct 7, 2013
78 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: Accident happens. I shouldn't say don't worry it will work out but you took the cash route other person offered. Only thing you can do is go back to his house tonight and demand his license and plate info or get a quote and hope he pays.
Yeah, it wasn't very smart but honestly I took the cash route because he was my mom's neighbour and I wanted to be nice about the whole thing. I didn't really want to ruin his insurance since it was just a dent in the car, and no one got hurt. But yes, I'll know for next time to get the insurance no matter what.
Oct 7, 2013
78 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CNeufeld wrote: What did the police say when you reported it? I would guess he's bordering on a hit-and-run charge, since he didn't give you all his information.
Section 200 of HTA:

I suspect it will come out ok for you this time... You know where the guy lives, you have his name, address, phone number and a (hopefully) signed note. If you need to, you could just get it fixed and take him to small claims court. But most likely, your insurance company will pursue it with him, since they can contact him easily enough.

C
The police weren't very helpful or polite. Basically, they told me I should've gotten his license and insurance. They filed the report and that was about it.

The insurance people told me that they will try to get ahold of him and they'll see what happens. I guess I'm just worried since the car isn't in his name, it really doesn't matter that he gave me his name, phone, and I have his address...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I would talk again to the police. Tell them you've tried repeatedly to get his insurance and license information, and he's refused. Maybe you'll get someone who's interested in helping.

C
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
In Ontario, how long do we have before reporting the accident while deciding whether to go with insurance or the cash route?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
OP, don't be too hard on yourself. You tried to be nice and got screwed around. Hopefully it works out for you. You could have your dad go over and ask him for the insurance before getting the cops involved.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.