• Oct 31st, 2017 1:49 am
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19206 posts
121826 upvotes
GTA
jigz787 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 6:53 am
I tried their hai cut for the first time (and last time) after getting a coupon in mail. The salon denied to accept the coupon although the coupon clearly said "valid across on salon in Ontario".
I tried to contact them by email on their website but never heard back.
I will never go there again.
Which is really interesting/ironic because I don't know if they still do, but for the longest time, these guys made it very well known that they accept competitors' coupons.
Feb 8, 2015
649 posts
256 upvotes
North York, ON
Got my hair cut at FC for 15+ yrs. Always very pleased but I always insisted on a specific hairdresser. Only problem was sometimes the wait was rather long as she was very popular. She recently had to retire as she had leg probs. With tip cost was $23. Wife is VERY picky about haircuts and she liked the cut I rec'd. Now using another hair shop and all in is $70....it all depends on the hairstylist and not the shop. Although I no longer use FC OP was thanked as this is a deals forum and I know some would be very interested in this deal.
Jan 24, 2015
93 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I've tried going to 3 different barbers, including Crow's Nest.

Service and quality was about the same as First Choice, but 50% more expensive.
Oct 31, 2012
744 posts
209 upvotes
Guelph
A shame people bashing a good deal because of their personal experience. I've had bad experiences at a lot but first choice has been as reliable as any. The only deal I've seen better is the 7.99 at great clips but they are physically mailed and I don't get them anymore since I moved.

Considering with tip youre at around $20 for a normal men's haircut, this is a deal for sure. Thanks op
Favourite Deal of the Year:
- Two TDK Micro Bluetooth speakers for $22 bucks all in
2014:
- Xbox 360 w/ a $50 gift card for $82 dollars tax in
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1489 posts
494 upvotes
Ontario
The key is don't go to the random hairdressers at First Choice, after you go there a couple of times you will know which hairdressers are experienced (as opposed to students) just by the way they cut, then get their names and insist on getting them to cut your hair going forward, nobody could tell that you paid less than $20 for a haircut.
Oct 7, 2009
353 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
crayola1 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:52 pm
$8? Is this the bring-your-own-salad-bowl rate?
It used to be as low as $ 5 a couple of years ago. But Yes, Its true there are places for $ 8 but you get what you pay for I think. There's usually long wait times and not worth for some to drive. I tip them generously whenever I go to cheap places like $ 8 or 10.
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3687 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
LawEightSix wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:21 am
A shame people bashing a good deal because of their personal experience. I've had bad experiences at a lot but first choice has been as reliable as any. The only deal I've seen better is the 7.99 at great clips but they are physically mailed and I don't get them anymore since I moved.

Considering with tip youre at around $20 for a normal men's haircut, this is a deal for sure. Thanks op
+1. People shouldn't bash the offer, just because of an isolated bad experience; I've been going to FC for years, and found a mediocre stylist just once, but in general I'm pretty happy with them,

But I think the bashing comes from instagrammers that didn't get enough "likes" after posting their new haircut Face With Tears Of Joy
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Apr 27, 2004
966 posts
27 upvotes
Went to ask about it in a Oakville location... she didn't have a clue about the deal! Is it location specific?
Oct 21, 2005
326 posts
105 upvotes
geetar1101 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:43 pm
There are good and bad stylists everywhere. I think you just have to keep looking until you find one that is good for you...where ever they happen to work.
Good stylists generally don't gravitate toward places that have a 4 for $40 coupon by the register. You get what you pay for.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
4428 posts
589 upvotes
I went to First Choice regulary for the past several years and learned who to ask for and who to avoid!

Now I am totally sold on cutting my own hair.

$40 for a hair clipping/cutting set from Costco and I can do it better than most of them out there whenever I want as often as I want.

#1 on sides, #2 slightly higher up, and #4 on top.
Oct 6, 2006
173 posts
88 upvotes
Last time i went to first choice, i insisted on a the younger looking hairstylist, reason being is that I assumed she must have either went to school for hair design or something along those lines.... honestly speaking, i was bang on, she had just graduated and styled my hair better than any barber i have been to. all in for $25 (after tip). Sadly, next time i went she didnt work there anymore, for good reason.

so with first choice its YMMV.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
redflags10 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:10 am
I've tried going to 3 different barbers, including Crow's Nest.

Service and quality was about the same as First Choice, but 50% more expensive.
which barber are you with now? I'm looking for a place around Queen & Yonge, $25 max, takes appointments. Recommendations? The ones i go to are around $20 but no appts taken.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Oct 15, 2017
26 posts
16 upvotes
Canada
Wherever you end up going, find the hair stylist that cuts your hair the way you like it and request them whenever you go in, or call ahead to make sure they're in. Used to go to a barber shop, where the sole owner/barber knew what I wanted. If I went to a larger shop, with multiple barbers, I wouldn't just use whoever was available. First Choice is fine, as long as you can find a good stylist at your location and can always request them. Good deal OP.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
dsweetlou wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:53 am
Wherever you end up going, find the hair stylist that cuts your hair the way you like it and request them whenever you go in, or call ahead to make sure they're in. Used to go to a barber shop, where the sole owner/barber knew what I wanted. If I went to a larger shop, with multiple barbers, I wouldn't just use whoever was available. First Choice is fine, as long as you can find a good stylist at your location and can always request them. Good deal OP.
does FC have barbers or stylist that knows how to use straight razors and do fades?
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Oct 15, 2017
26 posts
16 upvotes
Canada
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:56 am
does FC have barbers or stylist that knows how to use straight razors and do fades?
Honestly, no idea. Give them a call and ask, then post here what they say.