• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2017 1:49 am
May 5, 2008
892 posts
205 upvotes
Swswswish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:11 pm
This...

Asian places cut hair for $8 in Scarbs / North York...
It is probably OK, unless they do Kim Jong Un style :)
Oct 21, 2005
325 posts
105 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 3:19 pm
I assume a simple fade/taper haircut for a guy is easy enough at First Choice?
You'd be surprised. I have about as simple a haircut as it gets (other than a shaved head) and I've had some hack-jobs done at discount chain places like First Choice. If you have somebody you like that is at one of those places, that's great. I'm personally not willing to spend the time and money to keep trying to find the right person that does a consistently good job.

Also, if you show up with a coupon and there's a lineup behind you of full-paying customers, chances are that you're going to get a terribly done rush job.
Apr 8, 2006
705 posts
143 upvotes
Song44 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 3:07 am
It's easy to cut your own hair once you get the hang of using a mirror to look in the mirror
No it isn't. If you just shave it then you can do it with your eye closed but if you want style it's hard.
Oct 24, 2010
66 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
LBJackal wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:35 am
Good stylists generally don't gravitate toward places that have a 4 for $40 coupon by the register. You get what you pay for.
That is a very interesting comment LBJackal. I guess you have interviewed many "Good stylists" to come to this conclusion. Please share more info on your research and findings. I would really like to know more in order to determine if the fine lady that has been cutting my hair at First Choice for the last decade or more has been a bad stylist all these years and just tricking me by giving me repeated, great haircuts all this time. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
geetar1101 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:35 pm
That is a very interesting comment LBJackal. I guess you have interviewed many "Good stylists" to come to this conclusion. Please share more info on your research and findings. I would really like to know more in order to determine if the fine lady that has been cutting my hair at First Choice for the last decade or more has been a bad stylist all these years and just tricking me by giving me repeated, great haircuts all this time. Thanks in advance.
its generally true. What good stylist would want to make $10~/cut for the rest of their lives? Once they've gained the necessary experience and honed their skills, they would want to move up to more upscale places to earn more. Maybe one day, they would want to open their own salon? I know i would want to make more money.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Nov 24, 2008
215 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I remember going there once and only once. I didn't realize that the girl cutting my hair was extremely slow until about 5 minutes in. Once I realized her mental capacity I knew all I could do was strap in and enjoy the horror show. She was clumsy and shaky and I could tell had no confidence in what she was doing. At the end of the cut I was pretty ashamed to look in the mirror and didn't think my bowl cut could get much worse. She grabbed the mirror to show the back of the head and did a quick slide by. I thought I saw something that could not have been my head and I asked her to pass the mirror again. This time she did it even faster. I again asked for her to show the mirror and this time to leave it there. Well holy shit, wheres that 3"x 3" patch on the back of my head? she literally took off the hair to the scalp and tried to hide it. I didn't pay for my cut and went home and shaved my head.

The best part was she called over another "hairdresser" to look at what she did and they tried to convince me that it looked fine.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3354 posts
215 upvotes
Kingston
BenniN873968 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:50 pm
Are they good at any location, or only the one that issued them?
Iseideyamato wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:23 pm
g_goo_goo wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:28 am
Went to ask about it in a Oakville location... she didn't have a clue about the deal! Is it location specific?
The card is only valid at Corporately run locations! I had to get a refund from their head office in US as where i moved all the locations were franchises.
Apr 8, 2006
705 posts
143 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 12:01 am
its generally true. What good stylist would want to make $10~/cut for the rest of their lives? Once they've gained the necessary experience and honed their skills, they would want to move up to more upscale places to earn more. Maybe one day, they would want to open their own salon? I know i would want to make more money.
This is true, but not everyone is ambitious. Some are happy at where they are and maybe they are not the bread winner. But find a good hair stylist at those cheap place is hard.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1473 posts
491 upvotes
Ontario
xpressmerchant wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 8:14 am
This is true, but not everyone is ambitious. Some are happy at where they are and maybe they are not the bread winner. But find a good hair stylist at those cheap place is hard.
I beg to differ, yes, one has to pay attention and select a hairdresser that is skilled (you can do this by just observing), once you have found one or two good ones (and that shouldn't take long), get their names and call ahead to find out if they are working that day. You can pay $70 for a haircut but I'd doubt anybody can tell the difference, unless you don't do your homework and pick any random hairdressers at First Choice. We are talking about cutting hair, not building a rocket ship or painting Mona Lisa.
Oct 21, 2005
325 posts
105 upvotes
geetar1101 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:35 pm
There are exceptions. I said generally, not always. If you go to the place that charges the cheapest price, you will on average get worse service. It's like going to McDonalds and expecting the same quality that you'd get at a more expensive, fine dining restaurant. If you need to hire a lawyer for a criminal trial and some guy is willing to do it for $5,000, and another guy will only do it for $50,000, which one do you think is more likely to get you off the hook? If the cheap lawyer was any good, he'd be charging more money. Same goes for hair stylists. They all want to get paid the most possible. If the most they can get is $10 per haircut, they're probably not very good.

I also said: "If you have somebody you like that is at one of those places, that's great. I'm personally not willing to spend the time and money to keep trying to find the right person that does a consistently good job.". So by all means, if you are lucky enough to have a person that works for $10 per haircut and does a great job, keep going back to them.
Jul 21, 2008
365 posts
234 upvotes
GTA
I found a few good people at first choice so I keep going back. Every so often I get emailed coupons for haircuts and I give them back the money from the discount in tip. I find they’re much more likely to help you out in any way they can on the price of the cut if they know you will always tip them nicely in the end.
Dec 22, 2011
142 posts
9 upvotes
London
LBJackal wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 12:59 pm
There are exceptions. I said generally, not always. If you go to the place that charges the cheapest price, you will on average get worse service. It's like going to McDonalds and expecting the same quality that you'd get at a more expensive, fine dining restaurant. If you need to hire a lawyer for a criminal trial and some guy is willing to do it for $5,000, and another guy will only do it for $50,000, which one do you think is more likely to get you off the hook? If the cheap lawyer was any good, he'd be charging more money. Same goes for hair stylists. They all want to get paid the most possible. If the most they can get is $10 per haircut, they're probably not very good.

I also said: "If you have somebody you like that is at one of those places, that's great. I'm personally not willing to spend the time and money to keep trying to find the right person that does a consistently good job.". So by all means, if you are lucky enough to have a person that works for $10 per haircut and does a great job, keep going back to them.
Exactly. Cutting hair is a skill, and like all skills, the price you charge is for the most part correlated to the level of skill provided. Places like First Choice are the absolute bottom of the hair-cutting profession, which means that anyone entrenched in a place like that most likely either isn't very good, or they don't have much passion for hair styling in the first place. Neither of those is a "good sign" when it comes to what level of service you should expect. Sure, you might be lucky to find a young woman working there who is only there because its a first job in the business, but people like that don't stick around long before they take their skills to more upscale salons. That is why most of the women at First Choice look like the typical middle-aged "I'm cutting hair here because I couldn't do anything else" type, suffice to say. If you are happy with the results you get at First Choice, that is great, but I'd be willing to bet that if you are one of these people you probably don't care too much about how your hair looks in the first place.

Personally, I'd look for a good modern men's barber shop with younger barbers if you want the best bang for your buck. They aren't hard to find. Cutting men's hair is more complicated than you think, you are much more likely to find a male barber who can execute a men's haircut than you are a female stylist, especially one at First Choice. Also, to the guys asking if they can pull off fades at First Choice: just LOL. Do you honestly expect some ~37 year old white woman named Susan to pull off a proper fade?
Nov 1, 2009
362 posts
59 upvotes
Montreal-Nord
What is all the fuss about getting more for your money?

Yes, you better go to a stylist when you need to change your hairstyle, but First Choice is perfect for maintaining your current hairstyle.

For the people that say you get what you pay for, I would respond you get a fresh look every three weeks for the price of going every three months.
Oct 7, 2012
488 posts
310 upvotes
mystery wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:40 am
I went to First Choice regulary for the past several years and learned who to ask for and who to avoid!

Now I am totally sold on cutting my own hair.

$40 for a hair clipping/cutting set from Costco and I can do it better than most of them out there whenever I want as often as I want.

#1 on sides, #2 slightly higher up, and #4 on top.
True RFDer
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Sep 13, 2005
75 posts
25 upvotes
mystery wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:40 am
I went to First Choice regulary for the past several years and learned who to ask for and who to avoid!

Now I am totally sold on cutting my own hair.

$40 for a hair clipping/cutting set from Costco and I can do it better than most of them out there whenever I want as often as I want.

#1 on sides, #2 slightly higher up, and #4 on top.
do you go directly from haircut to manscaping? or is there a sanitizing stop in between?