• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2018 3:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 21, 2017
705 posts
649 upvotes

First dog

I had two cats before, but never a dog. I really love shaggy dogs like poodles and doodles because you can pet them, they seem lovable. I'm thinking of getting a springer doodle or a similar type for a 2 bdr condo. What is a reasonable price for these types of dogs (I'm seeing a range of $1200-$2000 for a puppy) and can one get them from responsible breeders or private sellers via Kijiji or is that a totally foolish route?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3392 posts
618 upvotes
London
wont consider a shelter dog?
Apr 25, 2011
850 posts
383 upvotes
British Columbia
thelasthunter wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:11 pm
I really love shaggy dogs like poodles and doodles because you can pet them, they seem lovable.
Most dogs are loveable and can be pet. I'm not sure what you mean...

Have you considered the cost of grooming a Poodle? The larger the dog and depending on the style, the more expensive. Phone around to get an idea, and then realise you'll be paying this for the next ~15 years -- actually you'll be paying more as costs go up every year!

Grooming will need to be done frequently; as often as every few weeks. Some people stretch it out to every 2-3 months but they start looking very messy and tangled and may get hotspots. Grooming can also be extremely stressful for the dog, which was my deciding factor in never getting a Poodle/Poodle mix again.

Even if you don't get a dog with a Poodle coat some still require a trim; one of my current dogs gets very long hair between the paw pads and looks like a sausage on legs until I carefully trim her fluff down. I need to do it about 4 times a year and it takes roughly an hour each time. She is like a rag doll while I groom and use clippers on her tummy but it would be a very different story if I had it done at a groomer. She has an arthritic front leg due to injury and even when I'd ask them to go easy it still would be bad after a trip to the groomers. I have no idea why; shaving her down (wrecking her double coat!!) seems far less difficult than the precision trimming I do... I don't know why they needed to manhandle her front legs so much but it could come back to her being super stressed there and thus being uncooperative.

Which is why when I got my other current dog I made sure grooming is a minimum. Still a longer coat but no grooming required; I only brush her ear fluff and hair on the back of her legs every few days. Super easy. Not huge shedding like some dogs either.

Low grooming requirements are a huge factor for me in getting a dog. I hope I never have to deal with grooming again... if you can't tell. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye It ranks right behind factoring in the size of the dog and the energy level I can handle.

thelasthunter wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:11 pm
I'm thinking of getting a springer doodle or a similar type for a 2 bdr condo. What is a reasonable price for these types of dogs (I'm seeing a range of $1200-$2000 for a puppy) and can one get them from responsible breeders or private sellers via Kijiji or is that a totally foolish route?
The long and short of it is: no you can't get a mix breed dog from a reputable breeder. 99.9% of the time you will be supporting a puppymill or a broker or a backyard breeder and they all obviously are not recommended options for a multitude of reasons. When I got my last Poodle mix I realised years later I had been supporting a puppymill when I looked up the sellers name online.

If you want a mix get a dog from the shelter. If you must get one from a breeder I strongly suggest making sure the dogs are health tested for all possible genetic issues both breeds are predisposed to. Keep in mind some issues should be repeatedly tested for (such as eye conditions), some issues should not be tested for until a certain age (like hip testing), or the issues in question cannot be tested for at all and you simply run the risk of getting a dog predisposed to these issues (which is a billion conditions unfortunately; such as high rates of cancer in certain breeds).

Make sure the seller has a health guarantee and stands behind their dogs. Some breeders are willing to take back their puppies at any time of their life.

Also make sure the parents have a good temperament; they should be bred for temperament over color! Meet the parents and view the breeders home before purchase if at all possible to ensure they don't have 50 dogs locked in kennels. People can say whatever they want online to make a sale.

Finding a breeder that does all those things with a mix bred dog of any kind just doesn't happen very often. You pay as much or more for that designer "breed" than you would a purebred from a knowledgable, dedicated and legitimate breeder that isn't in it to make money. Most people breeding mixes are in it to make a quick buck.
Dec 23, 2015
496 posts
429 upvotes
snow00774 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:22 pm
wont consider a shelter dog?
There are plenty of dogs that need homes and it won't cost you 1K+.
Mar 6, 2018
22 posts
6 upvotes
please consider and check out your local shelter, you will find a gorgeous one, who will already be trained and it will assist you a lot being first time dog owner.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2404 posts
591 upvotes
Kingston
We currently have a shelter cat and two shelter dogs. Wouldn't have it any other way. Our shelter dogs were puppy mill rescues and are gorgeous. We've had three other shelter cats and one other shelter dog before this. Zero regrets.