• Oct 2nd, 2004 2:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5170 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
agreement or no, it would just be plain stupid. Retailers get really pissed off when manufacturers undercut them, and you need retailers to survive. Even Sony & Apple, with their own distribution stores, won't do that.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1125 posts
20 upvotes
I don't think they will be releasing the game in Sept.

Hope Iam wrong :D
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2002
2471 posts
3 upvotes
Updated with good news.
DESKTOP | Intel Core2 Duo e6300 | 2GB DDR2800 | eVGA 680i | Seagate SATAII 320GB | Pioneer 111D | BFG 7600GT | Antec NSK4400 | Windows XP SP2 + Vista RC2 | DELL 2005FPW
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1125 posts
20 upvotes
Or maybe not this was posted on shack news

"After a close scrutiny of Gabe Newell’s account history on the forums, we've come to the conclusion that the gold post is a fake. While we can't be 100% certain at this stage, all indicators point towards someone hacking the forum account. That said, all Gabe's previous posts on these forums are quite legitimate.

We apologize for the confusion and will be investigating further. Theoretically, an IPB forum account should be very difficult to hack. Well, that was the theory at least. We'll keep you updated."
Jan 21, 2004
9 posts
Come on already!!! I went through a box of kleenex after reading HL2 went gold!!

First day buy regardless of the price!

B
Wouldn't be suprised if it went gold in the next 2 weeks though!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2002
2471 posts
3 upvotes
damn, cant believe this hacking sh*t.
DESKTOP | Intel Core2 Duo e6300 | 2GB DDR2800 | eVGA 680i | Seagate SATAII 320GB | Pioneer 111D | BFG 7600GT | Antec NSK4400 | Windows XP SP2 + Vista RC2 | DELL 2005FPW
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
I knew it was fake anyways. Can't trust those boards. :(
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
Oh well, finished my pre-load off Steam last night.. so when it does come out I'll be ready! :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
othy wrote:Out of curiosity, who is going to use steam for this and who is gonna buy the CDs?

Is there a discount for using steam? I'd do it for 5 bucks less.. heck having more CDs around isn't really a big bonus for me (although after you buy it on CD and reg the key with steam you can download it from them whenever..)
downloaded it off of steam last nite.. I'd had to leave it up over nite to get the entire game update, plus I'd had to goto sleep so didn't know how long it was.

opened up the files this morning to take a look whats was inside the gfc file.. wow neat.. its just models, and intro movie, and sounds.. hehehe. you guys should go take a lookie.. :D
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2002
2471 posts
3 upvotes
Updated first post with 43 pics, have some patience while they load. :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
There are a lot of purchase options available, 2 boxed versions and 3 steam ones.. Unfortunately I didn't see any prices along with em.. I did hear a rumour that the basic steam one was 5 bucks less than the basic CD one.. 6 CDs too, ouch.
Nov 3, 2002
956 posts
Manitoba
othy wrote:There are a lot of purchase options available, 2 boxed versions and 3 steam ones.. Unfortunately I didn't see any prices along with em.. I did hear a rumour that the basic steam one was 5 bucks less than the basic CD one.. 6 CDs too, ouch.
Still, if we pay U.S. retail price, we're paying too much. In my experience, games are typically cheaper in Canada when you factor in exchange rate. Of course, with the dollar pushing 80 cents U.S., who knows?

Will Steam have a special price for Canadians? If so, what would keep the Americans from abusing it to get the game cheaper? It's all so complicated.

Here's the one big advantage Steam has put forward, though (at least, for me) - while latest estimates for retail (and Steam) release of Half-Life 2 are towards the end of November, you can begin playing Counterstrike: Source next week if you buy HL2 on Steam.

Still, I refuse to pay more to download something and get no physical media or manuals than I would pay at Wal-Mart the day it comes out. Bring on the Canadian prices, Valve! :)
"There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." - GK Chesterton
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2002
2471 posts
3 upvotes
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Where do you find these pics jerry?
Simply amazing. I can't wait!!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
71 upvotes
Xavier wrote:firstly.....steam = d/l ?? :confused:

then....hmmmmm.....perhaps i should play farcry b4 installin doom 3 then .. lol.

I dunno if my 9600 pro can handle HL2....oh man........i just bought this card this year !

I played the leak demo/beta whatever you wantto call a few months back and it ran great on my P4 2.8HT with a 9600 Pro 128mb (also with 1gb of ram) so I wouldn't worry. Doom 3 also run great at high res with high detail at 1024 x 768.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
What's the word on CS Source? Does it come with the retail version of HL? What about other mods like DOD? I must be the only one who doesn't give a rat's ass about HL2. I just want the mods...
Nov 3, 2002
956 posts
Manitoba
Sheky wrote:What's the word on CS Source? Does it come with the retail version of HL? What about other mods like DOD? I must be the only one who doesn't give a rat's ass about HL2. I just want the mods...
CS:S comes with HL2 - word is, it's the only multiplayer initially shipping with HL2. Mods will quickly pick up the slack in creating normal deathmatch (Why, Valve? It seems so simple? Not like you haven't had enough time....)

DOD:S, HL:S, and other mods will be available via Steam for a small fee. There will be a Steam package offering HL2 plus all current Valve games, including those mods for HL2 when they come out.
"There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." - GK Chesterton
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
canook wrote:CS:S comes with HL2 - word is, it's the only multiplayer initially shipping with HL2. Mods will quickly pick up the slack in creating normal deathmatch (Why, Valve? It seems so simple? Not like you haven't had enough time....)
Maybe they just figured it wasn't worth the effort. The official deathmatch in half life just plain sucked. Not many people played any of the official ones, it was all CS, and DoD,etc.

We played some official deathmatch at a lan party once with some freinds. It took us about 10 minutes to go "this sucks, lets go back to CS".

So maybe they learned a lesson and let the mod community do all the work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)