• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 7:29 am
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
202 posts
177 upvotes
Hamilton

First Impressions upgrading from Kit Lens on a6300

So since I bought the Sony a6300, for video I made the assumption that indeed the kit lens was good enough, especially for video where I never thought that any other lens would be as versatile and provide me with the results I was looking for.
I decided to take the plunge with the Sony 35mm F1.8 prime lens from Sony with OSS. I was hesitant at first, being $600 taxes in brand new, but I finally got to use it out in the wild, and I am absolutely in LOVE with this thing.

Really helps with lowlight in spots my kit lens would struggle with and the OSS helps significantly with handheld as did my kit lens.
I just wanted to inform people the jump to a nicer lens than the kit one really does transform the camera you have and I hope for people on the fringe you make the jump :)
There were other options like the sigma 30mm f1.4, but lacking OSS it was a non starter for video on my a6300
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes
Yup, that's why everyone says lenses come first.

In some case, when budget is limited, kit lenses can be quite useful as a place holder for a better lens while you're saving money. In the case of the Olympus OMD10 mkII, the body only VS with kit lens is only $50 of difference, as of now.
Oct 27, 2013
814 posts
199 upvotes
Mississauga
The 30mm is better in almost every way except one, image stabilization. If you have an A6500, and you're looking to shoot video, get the 30mm. If you have any other APS-C body, and you're either looking to shoot stills or willing to use a gimbal, only then get the 30mm, otherwise the 35mm will work better with its OSS.
hdom wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 8:14 pm
I am debating between that Sony OP has and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 - https://petapixel.com/2016/07/01/sigma- ... er-tested/
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
for stills I would rate: Sigma 30 > Zeiss 32 > Sony 35

for video I would probably go Sony

great lens, would I pay $600 for it, probably not
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.