Parenting & Family

First kid on the way, what are the basics that we need to start with?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2018 3:20 pm
[OP]
May 23, 2017
747 posts
236 upvotes

First kid on the way, what are the basics that we need to start with?

So my wife is due in April and we are looking for the basics that we will need to start out with. Black friday and boxing day coming up so I want to know what i need to keep my eye out for. Also what should we be expecting from the baby shower, should we tell people a list/registry or just wing it and get all clothes haha.

We have a infant carseat and stroller already.

Anyway, any suggestions would help. Thanks!
Got that Zoomer account!
41 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23166 posts
9630 upvotes
Ottawa
Onesies, receiving blankets to name a few.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15091 posts
5357 upvotes
- Diapers. Don't stock up on size "n" - they don't stay there very long
- Wipes - we prefer costco
- Formula (if you plan to formula feed) is on sale at Costco this week (at least costco west)
- Towels to wipe up drool (we just used microfibre cloths). If you have a boy you'll use one to cover them while changing so you don't get them peeing in your face.
- Receiving blankets to wrap them in (bigger the better)
- Sleep sacks - awesome (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... Id=3555924 - there are other brands)
- Awesome list of toys for babies first year: http://mamaot.com/15-toys-for-babys-first-year/
- Bottles, bottle brush, etc. Even if breast feeding you may want some bottles so dad can feed too
- Breast pump (if breast feeding)

Edit:
- Baby bath tub
- Baby carrier (so you can be hands free)
- Some sort of swing / rocker / etc. so you can put the baby down in. Doesn't have to be motorized (ours is not) but I would probably buy one that is just in case
Jan 15, 2017
73 posts
107 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 3:23 pm
So my wife is due in April and we are looking for the basics that we will need to start out with. Black friday and boxing day coming up so I want to know what i need to keep my eye out for. Also what should we be expecting from the baby shower, should we tell people a list/registry or just wing it and get all clothes haha.

We have a infant carseat and stroller already.

Anyway, any suggestions would help. Thanks!
- sleepers with zippers (way easier than buttons)
- lots of onesies like the above poster mentioned
- swaddles
- toiletries like baby shampoo, lotion and diaper cream

As for your shower, definitely register or provide a list/direction as to what you and your wife want/need. Otherwise you will get duplicates or things you don't use. Everyone has a different idea of baby must haves so check out reviews and make sure to register.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3288 posts
402 upvotes
See my signature for freebies, let me know if any are expired.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated July 2018
May 1, 2018
377 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
With Black Friday coming up, might be a good time to start researching which baby monitor you want and hopefully it drops during those sales. Toys for sure as they can get pricy. Best to stock up during Black Friday deals for 12m+. Convertible crib that can turn into a bed. A decent dresser to put all the baby clothes in as your closet will pile up as you continue buying clothes. Bottles for the baby.

Most people will just bring you diapers or wipes for the baby shower so you won't need to worry about that. Expect gift cards as well as people would rather give you money to buy what you need instead of having to think what you might or might not use and having that go to waste.

Don't stock up on formula unless you plan on formula feeding the baby from day one. All babies react differently to the nipple of the bottle and would either be using it right away or it can take almost until 12 months for them to adjust to using bottles. My daughter didn't start drinking formula/bottle until 12 months and didn't like formula milk during the first 12 months so we didn't bother buying any big cans to stock up.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
747 posts
236 upvotes
Alivenate wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:58 pm
With Black Friday coming up, might be a good time to start researching which baby monitor you want and hopefully it drops during those sales. Toys for sure as they can get pricy. Best to stock up during Black Friday deals for 12m+. Convertible crib that can turn into a bed. A decent dresser to put all the baby clothes in as your closet will pile up as you continue buying clothes. Bottles for the baby.

Most people will just bring you diapers or wipes for the baby shower so you won't need to worry about that. Expect gift cards as well as people would rather give you money to buy what you need instead of having to think what you might or might not use and having that go to waste.

Don't stock up on formula unless you plan on formula feeding the baby from day one. All babies react differently to the nipple of the bottle and would either be using it right away or it can take almost until 12 months for them to adjust to using bottles. My daughter didn't start drinking formula/bottle until 12 months and didn't like formula milk during the first 12 months so we didn't bother buying any big cans to stock up.

Thanks for this. any suggestions on a baby monitor?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8743 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
Nov 6th, 2018 9:11 am
Buy something that will last. Don't buy baby monitors, but instead, buy wireless cameras.

Arlo, or Ring

Serves the same purpose and later you can use it for your house/home.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8743 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
OP: the most important part of having a new baby is actually not all the stuff you can buy. Because one can go to Walmart RIGHT NOW and buy everything you may have missed.

The most important is: Daycare, school, money can't buy you a spot

Be sure to register for a spot now, because most likely spots are already full, you will be on a waiting list. Unless you have someone to stay home after the maternity leave.

If you have $$, I highly recommend daycare, even if you have grandma at hom. Because the social skills they learn is very important. Also, the ability to be independent. Crying vs. not crying when you drop them off for school or to a babysitter.

JK Teachers can immediately tell, which child has been to day care, and not. There's a big difference.

School: look at the schools (Grade 1 to 12) that you are zoned to go to, are they "good"? what you want? If not, now there's a bigger decision. Do you need to move? You know where this goes.....

So I'd be thinking about the above things. Don't worry about things you can buy. As long as you have money, its solvable.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
747 posts
236 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:59 am
OP: the most important part of having a new baby is actually not all the stuff you can buy. Because one can go to Walmart RIGHT NOW and buy everything you may have missed.

The most important is: Daycare, school, money can't buy you a spot

Be sure to register for a spot now, because most likely spots are already full, you will be on a waiting list. Unless you have someone to stay home after the maternity leave.

If you have $$, I highly recommend daycare, even if you have grandma at hom. Because the social skills they learn is very important. Also, the ability to be independent. Crying vs. not crying when you drop them off for school or to a babysitter.

JK Teachers can immediately tell, which child has been to day care, and not. There's a big difference.

School: look at the schools (Grade 1 to 12) that you are zoned to go to, are they "good"? what you want? If not, now there's a bigger decision. Do you need to move? You know where this goes.....

So I'd be thinking about the above things. Don't worry about things you can buy. As long as you have money, its solvable.
very good advice. thanks
Got that Zoomer account!
May 1, 2018
377 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
Nov 6th, 2018 9:11 am
I'm currently using this one for over a year and it works as intended. No problems with it and picture quality is good in the daytime and night. I waited for over 6 months for this to go on sale and it went on a Lightning Deal for $51.84. Used to be listed at $63.99 when I was waiting for it and looks like the price has increased by a lot.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XFFLFLK

Realistically, its up to you which monitor you decide to get. I wanted one that wouldn't cost me a fortune that has video as that's all I need and found this to have great reviews and works wonders.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
747 posts
236 upvotes
Alivenate wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:56 am
I'm currently using this one for over a year and it works as intended. No problems with it and picture quality is good in the daytime and night. I waited for over 6 months for this to go on sale and it went on a Lightning Deal for $51.84. Used to be listed at $63.99 when I was waiting for it and looks like the price has increased by a lot.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XFFLFLK

Realistically, its up to you which monitor you decide to get. I wanted one that wouldn't cost me a fortune that has video as that's all I need and found this to have great reviews and works wonders.
I picked this up through a recommendation but now I am thinking that I need a real baby monitor like the one you posted. I got this camera and it works great but I have to access it through my phone, it doesnt have a actual wireless handset.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076H3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Got that Zoomer account!
May 1, 2018
377 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
Nov 6th, 2018 12:00 pm
I picked this up through a recommendation but now I am thinking that I need a real baby monitor like the one you posted. I got this camera and it works great but I have to access it through my phone, it doesnt have a actual wireless handset.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076H3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Interesting a security cam as a baby monitor. Not bad but having to go through your phone kind of restricts your mobile phone usage doesn't it?
[OP]
May 23, 2017
747 posts
236 upvotes
Alivenate wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:15 pm
Interesting a security cam as a baby monitor. Not bad but having to go through your phone kind of restricts your mobile phone usage doesn't it?
Yes, it would prob be better as the real baby monitor would alert when there is a loud noise or whatever. how does that one you recommended alert you that the kid is crying ect?
Got that Zoomer account!