• Aug 26th, 2010 7:47 am
Tags:
None
Jan 21, 2007
42 posts
1 upvote

First Oil change for a new Honda

Hey all,

I'v got a Honda Pilot that I bought last year. After ~8000km the oil now needs replacement. This oil which originally came with the car sustained a lot of km. Maybe it's just because the car is relatively new but my Honda civic needs oil change every ~3000km from walmart. I want to take care of the SUV and put quality oil in it but I'm not an expert in automotives. At the same time I want to avoid the dealer rip off. Is there a high quality brand of oil that will get me another 8000Km or more ?

For my case, is syntethic oil the way to go ? I practically have no clue about the pros/cons of the different classes of oil. Your insight would be helpful.

I would appreciate suggestions of any oil changing place, or is Walmart just fine ?

Lastly, could I buy the oil and take it Walmart or somewhere for changing ?

Thanks for any advise in what route to take
25 replies
Aug 25, 2009
477 posts
73 upvotes
Follow the service instructions / type of oil of your vehicule's manual
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
First point, taking care of your car and getting it serviced at wal-mart is an oxymoron.

Second, get the oil that meets the specs on your owner's manual and change the oil according to the owner's manual's specification.

You can find a reputable garage to change your oil. Dealership oil changes are not that expensive either.

Don't waste money on synthetic.
gsaveit wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 2:37 pm
Hey all,

I'v got a Honda Pilot that I bought last year. After ~8000km the oil now needs replacement. This oil which originally came with the car sustained a lot of km. Maybe it's just because the car is relatively new but my Honda civic needs oil change every ~3000km from walmart. I want to take care of the SUV and put quality oil in it but I'm not an expert in automotives. At the same time I want to avoid the dealer rip off. Is there a high quality brand of oil that will get me another 8000Km or more ?

For my case, is syntethic oil the way to go ? I practically have no clue about the pros/cons of the different classes of oil. Your insight would be helpful.

I would appreciate suggestions of any oil changing place, or is Walmart just fine ?

Lastly, could I buy the oil and take it Walmart or somewhere for changing ?

Thanks for any advise in what route to take
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
I know you want to be pro active in taking care of your car. But isn't the service interval for oil XXXX km's or 6 months? Whichever comes first.

You said you got your Pilot last year, so you have gone almost 9+ months without an oil change?

If anything, I would have done the first oil change halfway through the specified km's. So if the manual says every 8k km's, i would have done the first one in 4k km's. But keep the what the owners manual says.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
r1lee wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 4:18 pm
I know you want to be pro active in taking care of your car. But isn't the service interval for oil XXXX km's or 6 months? Whichever comes first.

You said you got your Pilot last year, so you have gone almost 9+ months without an oil change?

If anything, I would have done the first oil change halfway through the specified km's. So if the manual says every 8k km's, i would have done the first one in 4k km's. But keep the what the owners manual says.
Depends on the car. Mine is "change it when the minder tells you to", which will make its first oil change somewhere around 15,000 to 16,000.. I'm at 11,500 after about 6 months.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
CompWizrd wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 7:43 pm
Depends on the car. Mine is "change it when the minder tells you to", which will make its first oil change somewhere around 15,000 to 16,000.. I'm at 11,500 after about 6 months.
Yes but we're talking about a honda here. From previous ownership, I'm guessing 6-8k km's or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Are you driving an Audi?
May 24, 2007
22 posts
2 upvotes
I drive a 2007 Honda Fit and my maintenance minder has indicated an oil change just under every 10,000 km on average. The salesperson told me he had a customer who averaged more than 10,000 km between oil changes on his Civic.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
r1lee wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 8:04 pm
Yes but we're talking about a honda here. From previous ownership, I'm guessing 6-8k km's or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Are you driving an Audi?
No, mine's a 2010 Honda Fit.. The computer counts down 10% every 1600 kms or so.

Just did my monthly oil level check, and it's still sitting at the same full mark it was when i picked it up.. Starting to turn a bit brown finally.

My Trans AM got oil changes twice a year, which turned out to be about 5000km each time, and I ran synth on it.. probably didn't need to be changed that often, but whatever :)

My wife changes the oil in her 2001 Malibu every 6 weeks... which is about 5000 km.. Again, really doesn't need to be changed that often, but when you've got a 9 year old car pushing nearly 400,000 kms on the original motor and transmission, why not?
Jul 24, 2008
762 posts
25 upvotes
I had a 2005 Mazda 6, dealer recommended 8000km between changes with regular cheapskate oil.

Also, the 2008 Kia Sedona recommends 8000km between changes with reg oil!
Deal Addict
May 15, 2010
2001 posts
112 upvotes
North York
r1lee wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 4:18 pm
If anything, I would have done the first oil change halfway through the specified km's. So if the manual says every 8k km's, i would have done the first one in 4k km's.
Actually the first oil change is exactly the oil change you DON"T want to do ahead of schedule, because some cars come off the assembly line with a special "break-in" oil intended to better allow the engine to break in, it's beneficial to let it stay in the engine a little longer than normal.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
3bm12 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 8:10 pm
I drive a 2007 Honda Fit and my maintenance minder has indicated an oil change just under every 10,000 km on average. The salesperson told me he had a customer who averaged more than 10,000 km between oil changes on his Civic.
Seems to me, when it comes to your car's fluids, there is no significiant downside to being agressive and changing fluids a bit ahead of schedule.
Dec 27, 2009
54 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, Ontario
Go to the dealer. You want to take care of it, therefore the dealership would probably do that better. They use Honda filters, check all fluid levels, etc.
If you want syn. oil, you can go to WalMart and get the Mobil 1 stuff, I believe 2010 Pilots take 5W20, and tell your dealer you bought your own oil.

See them put the Syn. oil into your car. If you dont, you will never know. They could of took your syn. oil, and put in reg. stuff. They look the same on the dip stick.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
Dilton wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 10:07 pm
Actually the first oil change is exactly the oil change you DON"T want to do ahead of schedule, because some cars come off the assembly line with a special "break-in" oil intended to better allow the engine to break in, it's beneficial to let it stay in the engine a little longer than normal.
You actually believe this? I thought this was a myth, and that sales people use it as a pitch.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15079 posts
744 upvotes
Woodbridge
Oil Change Interval and Regular vs Synthetic

It all depends how/where you drive your car.

*Short/Long Trips
*City/Highway
*Weather
*Granny/Enthusiast :twisted:
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
× < >