• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2008 9:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
Your next lens might be the 18-200VR. It's excellent for travel because it's so versatile so you'll keep it long term.

In the meantime though, because it covers such a wide range of focal lengths you can shoot just about everything. When you've had it for a while, you can go back through your pictures and see what focal lengths you use the most often, and let that direct what you might buy for your first fast/expensive lens.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2218 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
rubberband wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 7:59 pm
Your next lens might be the 18-200VR. It's excellent for travel because it's so versatile so you'll keep it long term.

In the meantime though, because it covers such a wide range of focal lengths you can shoot just about everything. When you've had it for a while, you can go back through your pictures and see what focal lengths you use the most often, and let that direct what you might buy for your first fast/expensive lens.
did ken rockwell sway you? lol jk

it is a fairly good lense. for the price you cant go wrong. i just wish canon glass wasnt so friggin expensive!

remember the longer the focal length the shallower the dof so if you like a lot of bokeh look for longer than shorter

i know this is out of your price range but 70-200/2.8vr is SWEET!
Jul 19, 2003
731 posts
4 upvotes
ask yourself

do you need a new lens?
don't forget to neuter your pet
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 10:59 pm
did ken rockwell sway you? lol jk

it is a fairly good lense. for the price you cant go wrong. i just wish canon glass wasnt so friggin expensive!

remember the longer the focal length the shallower the dof so if you like a lot of bokeh look for longer than shorter

i know this is out of your price range but 70-200/2.8vr is SWEET!
Ken Rockwell is a dork. His writing style is the literary equivalent of nails on a blackboard. Nevermind that he's actually reviewed equipment he didn't actually have at the time.

The 18-200VR can be had used for about $500-$600 if you're patient. It's not super good at anything, but does a wide variety of shooting perfectly fine. If I don't have a particular type of shooting in mind it's usually on the camera - and honestly, the IQ is great for an uber complicated super zoom. I only see shortcomings if I compare it to some faster/better glass I own for the focal lengths I tend to prefer.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4302 posts
141 upvotes
rubberband wrote:
Jul 18th, 2008 8:26 am
Ken Rockwell is a dork. His writing style is the literary equivalent of nails on a blackboard. Nevermind that he's actually reviewed equipment he didn't actually have at the time.

The 18-200VR can be had used for about $500-$600 if you're patient. It's not super good at anything, but does a wide variety of shooting perfectly fine. If I don't have a particular type of shooting in mind it's usually on the camera - and honestly, the IQ is great for an uber complicated super zoom. I only see shortcomings if I compare it to some faster/better glass I own for the focal lengths I tend to prefer.
18-200 is not the best but definitely good for travel. I normally have a 24-70 on my camera and carry a 50 and 500D filter in the bag.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
Sl300 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2008 7:34 am
ask yourself

do you need a new lens?
Actually nope, I'm probably not going to dive into new lens anytime soon unless I come across a good deal or something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
the 18-200vr is so expensive but then again if i get that i wouldn't need the kit lens anymore. something to dream about for the future :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
The 18-200 is expensive compared to typical kit lenses and most primes, but cheap compared to higher-end zooms, and so versatile. Some are not impressed with it, but on the other hand some very reputable people like Thom Hogan are.

I was going to sell mine, but after a while carrying my 28-70 and 80-200, I realized how nice it is to be able to carry a single lens that covers such a huge focal length in a compact and light package. And, when I do carry the 18-200 I get a lot more on the short end as well. So they all get to stay.

If you want to pick up a deal on a lens, my advice is figure out what lens you want and what a fair price would be, then keep banging on craigslist/Fred Miranda/Nikonians. If you picked a reasonable price, eventually the lens will show up for that price, and you need to be prepared to move fast.
Nov 24, 2002
289 posts
21 upvotes
Here's the choices I've made:

18-70mm came with my d70s
Nikon 50mm 1.8 (haven't regretted not going for the 1.4 since it's more money)
Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (same sharpness of the 70-200 VR but almost half the price)

Soon I'll get the Tokina 12-24 as the reviews all show it's pretty close the the nikon 12-24 at half the price.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4302 posts
141 upvotes
chillin wrote:
Jul 18th, 2008 3:34 pm
Here's the choices I've made:

18-70mm came with my d70s
Nikon 50mm 1.8 (haven't regretted not going for the 1.4 since it's more money)
Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 (same sharpness of the 70-200 VR but almost half the price)

Soon I'll get the Tokina 12-24 as the reviews all show it's pretty close the the nikon 12-24 at half the price.
Good choice of lens. Actually, I think the Tokina is sharper than the Nikon 12-24.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2709 posts
19 upvotes
SmartazzAzn wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 1:01 pm
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and would like some input as well.

I bought a D80 about a month ago with the 18-55VR, and was looking into investing in a couple of lenses. I'm not too financially constrained and don't mind investing in an expensive lens just because if I bought cheaper lenses I would eventually trade up anyways. I was thinking Nikkor 50mm f/1.4. I guess for low-lit indoor situations (family get-togethers, parties, portraits, and etc). Is this a good choice?

Also, I wanted a telephoto and was thinking possibly the Nikkor 80-200mm. I like shooting candids and whatnot (I would think mostly outdoor, but the occasional indoor events), and find that 55 definately doesn't give me enough reach without me getting particularly close to the subject. I am, however, debating that against the Nikkor 70-200mm VR. $700 jump in price, but from what I've read it is a phenomenal lens. Thoughts?
I find my 18-200 VR a great all round lens and I can avoid a lot of lens carrying and swapping as I travel quite a bit.
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengeance/Win 10
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 10
Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
You guys won't believe this luck I had, so I went to visit my parents today and brought over my camera, my dad sees this and tells me he has an old film Nikon that I can have. So out of curiosity I went sifting through boxes of junk to find his camera. And what did I find:

An old F body series Nikon with a 50mm f1.4 prime lens!! It even had a Hoya filter on it too!!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4302 posts
141 upvotes
nsr250 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 7:02 pm
An old F body series Nikon with a 50mm f1.4 prime lens!! It even had a Hoya filter on it too!!
Congra! Must be your lucky day. Have fun shooting.
Feb 11, 2008
55 posts
ontario
nsr250 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 7:02 pm
You guys won't believe this luck I had, so I went to visit my parents today and brought over my camera, my dad sees this and tells me he has an old film Nikon that I can have. So out of curiosity I went sifting through boxes of junk to find his camera. And what did I find:

Is that lens Made in Japan?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
sungfra wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 8:56 pm
Congra! Must be your lucky day. Have fun shooting.
Thanks, i'm really enjoying it, even though I have to manual focus cuz I have a d40 but still fun!
WillFi wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 12:03 am
Is that lens Made in Japan?
Yeps, my dad told me that he bought this camera and lens in HK back in the late 80s and paid an equivalent to a few thousand CAD back then.