First Summer Car - C6 Corvette

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2019 12:24 am
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3197 upvotes
GTA
OP - pony up a bit more and get the C6 Z06.

Also, as a fellow motorcycle enthusiast - Manual. You might regret not doing it..

A simple wheel swap and the car looks gorgeous.. with power to boot!

Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
Great choice. I read somewhere there are 4 cars you have to drive in order to truly experience and appreciate what handling is all about - 911, Miata, Mini Cooper, and Corvette.
Buy nice or buy twice.
Mar 7, 2017
808 posts
451 upvotes
Ham, ON

OP, if you haven't seen all of the topgear footage of Jeremy and the various Vets, take a look!
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
They're a great car. I purchased an 07 Z06 in 2015. I've taken it on road trips to the States. You'd be amazed how much storage the car has. Good luck in your search.
Apr 17, 2016
108 posts
142 upvotes
Thanks so much everyone! All very encouraging responses and have only gotten me more excited for the search! I spoke with a couple owners at a car show last summer and they said even the consumables on these cars aren’t super expensive - brakes, tires, clutch - compared to similar performance cars, which is encouraging.

I will definitely be keeping my daily driver for the winter and rainy days. Any opinions on coupe vs convertible? Pretty sold on the manual transmission, I was trying to justify the auto but I would definitely regret it. I’ve driven only auto my whole life, but I have the fundamentals from riding a motorcycle and rented a car on my honeymoon with a manual and it went pretty smoothly.

Performance wise I think the Z06 from that era and the Viper would be more evenly matched so I’ll take a look at those for comparison sake as well.

I’ve noticed the interiors seem pretty spartan and a lot of the cars for sale I’ve seen have different headunits. Most also come with the Corsa exhaust which seems to be the most popular sounding piping outside of the two stage stock exhaust on later models.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Shanetodd wrote: Any opinions on coupe vs convertible?
You're already leaning towards performance (I assume the MT is better performing than the AT). My thinking is, unless the car has a carbon fibre tub, the convertible version is gonna take a big hit in performance, so I'd go for the coupe (bonus is it'll cost less as well, and I think the vette comes w/ a ragtop? That's not as appealing imo).
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Shanetodd wrote: Thanks so much everyone! All very encouraging responses and have only gotten me more excited for the search! I spoke with a couple owners at a car show last summer and they said even the consumables on these cars aren’t super expensive - brakes, tires, clutch - compared to similar performance cars, which is encouraging.

I will definitely be keeping my daily driver for the winter and rainy days. Any opinions on coupe vs convertible? Pretty sold on the manual transmission, I was trying to justify the auto but I would definitely regret it. I’ve driven only auto my whole life, but I have the fundamentals from riding a motorcycle and rented a car on my honeymoon with a manual and it went pretty smoothly.

Performance wise I think the Z06 from that era and the Viper would be more evenly matched so I’ll take a look at those for comparison sake as well.

I’ve noticed the interiors seem pretty spartan and a lot of the cars for sale I’ve seen have different headunits. Most also come with the Corsa exhaust which seems to be the most popular sounding piping outside of the two stage stock exhaust on later models.
Convertible for show, coupe for go. If you ever thing you'd want to track it, then for sure coupe. I think it looks nicer too.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
ellesdad wrote: Great choice. I read somewhere there are 4 cars you have to drive in order to truly experience and appreciate what handling is all about - 911, Miata, Mini Cooper, and Corvette.
The mini cooper is great.. I used to take out a mini convertible back when I had a ZIPCAR membership and it was super fun and amazing to drive.
But really? A FWD car made that list? I don't doubt it. But I'd love to see the article!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
UrbanPoet wrote: The mini cooper is great.. I used to take out a mini convertible back when I had a ZIPCAR membership and it was super fun and amazing to drive.
But really? A FWD car made that list? I don't doubt it. But I'd love to see the article!
MINI is one of the best handling FWD cars out there. A friend of mine had a methanol injected MINI, with 255 slicks all around, aero, etc. That thing hauled!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2241 posts
669 upvotes
Mississauga
Reading this thread brought back memories of my '96 LT4 Vette. I bought it when I was 27 but had to sell sell once the kids arrived. Was only being driven it a couple of times a year towards the end but it was blast to own. I invested way too much in mods, got the HP from 330 stock to 452 with a stroker. Never got any of it back on the sale. I think I was all in at $50K and sold it for $16K after 11 years of ownership.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1655 posts
1602 upvotes
TDot
Shanetodd wrote: I will definitely be keeping my daily driver for the winter and rainy days. Any opinions on coupe vs convertible?
Convertible no doubt, this is a summer car after all.

Who cares about the weight penalty with 400hp? I never knew what the big deal was until I rented a convertible in Florida, awesome experience.
Mar 17, 2006
740 posts
505 upvotes
+1 on getting the convertible. There's no better feeling than driving top down. Full 360 degree unobstructed view around you. The rumble of the exhaust like it's right next to you. The illusion of speed and the wind in your hair more than makes up for the little loss of power you inherently get when you choose the convertible over the coupe.
I wouldn't get a rag top as a daily driver. But as a summer car for sure.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
guessguy wrote: Reading this thread brought back memories of my '96 LT4 Vette. I bought it when I was 27 but had to sell sell once the kids arrived. Was only being driven it a couple of times a year towards the end but it was blast to own. I invested way too much in mods, got the HP from 330 stock to 452 with a stroker. Never got any of it back on the sale. I think I was all in at $50K and sold it for $16K after 11 years of ownership.
Time for an newer gen SS Camaro... its kinda (not really just sorta) like a corvette... i’m sure the kids can fit in the 2 back seats... lol
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1397 upvotes
IndusVally wrote: I also eventually want to get a C5 or C6 Vette.

Just wondering if there are any known serious issues with these generations..
Yes, one major issue with the c5/c6 manual transmission is a poorly designed and engineered clutch slave cylinder. It will leak eventually and require the labour of a clutch job for a simple $100-200 part. Most people get 100k or so out of them but if they are tracked, the cylinders could wear out a lot faster. Test drive them and ensure the clutch always rebounds without any lag. Unfortunately there's no easy way to tell the percentage of life left on one. You can also check to make sure no brake fluid is leaking from the bell housing. But usually if that's the case, the clutch would be sticking/not fully rebounding already.
Apr 30, 2013
860 posts
535 upvotes
King City
After reading this thread I would love to get my hands on a C6 Z06 as it's more in reach than C7.

Enjoy OP and let us know what you end up getting.
Apr 17, 2016
108 posts
142 upvotes
Well, I finally did it. 2007 C6 w/ 70,xxx km on the clock, Z51 performance package and 3LT trim in LeMans Blue.

Took a lot of looking to find one for a decent price with the options I wanted without pretty serious accident claims - so much searching in fact I purchased this one 5 hours away.

I did get it in manual because I knew I would regret it if I didn’t. It was a fun drive home, learning to drive a manual transmission on a 400/400 HP/TQ car but with my background on bikes, it wasn’t too long before I was comfortable. I even got to attend a local car meet and had a great time this weekend!

To be honest, for a 93 octane V8, it’s been surprisingly decent on gas so far as a bonus!
Images
  • 779414D5-E497-47C5-90CA-68F58D1A7D89.jpeg
  • 0AF9B013-F638-4036-AF7F-C8ED1C89EAD1.jpeg
Last edited by Shanetodd on Jun 24th, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shanetodd wrote: Well, I finally did it. 2007 C6 w/ 70,xxx km on the clock, Z51 performance package and 3LT trim in LeMans Blue.

Took a lot of looking to find one for a decent price with the options I wanted without pretty serious accident claims - so much searching in fact I purchased this one 5 hours away.

I did get it in manual because I knew I would regret it. It was a fun drive home, learning to drive a manual transmission on a 400/400 HP/TQ car but with my background on bikes, it wasn’t too long before I was comfortable. I even got to attend a local car meet and had a great time this weekend!

To be honest, for a 93 octane V8, it’s been surprisingly decent on gas so far as a bonus!
Nice whip man! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Shanetodd wrote: Well, I finally did it. 2007 C6 w/ 70,xxx km on the clock, Z51 performance package and 3LT trim in LeMans Blue.

I did get it in manual because I knew I would regret it. It was a fun drive home, learning to drive a manual transmission on a 400/400 HP/TQ car but with my background on bikes, it wasn’t too long before I was comfortable. I even got to attend a local car meet and had a great time this weekend!

Nice!, how much did you pay for it?
Dec 14, 2006
217 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto

Gratz on your new wheels!
Life is Hard. It's harder when you're stupid.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23733 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Lemans Blue!!!

Love it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)