Automotive

First time driver question

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2020 3:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3119 posts
210 upvotes
Newmarket

First time driver question

Question for everyone!

I've never had a full license, and actually, only recently (within 2 years) got my G1. I've lived in downtown Toronto for about 10 years and never thought about driving, ever lol. But now I'm in the burbs and its hitting me about how much easier having a car would make my life. As an example: Bus to work = 1.5 hours. Drive = 22mins

So queue to my question. I'm planning on doing driving school (gonna feel old for sure). But if/when I pass and everything is good, how hard is insurance going to kill me. I'm Male, 30+, new driver.

Also I'm looking into a used car, lease most likely. Don't want to dump a lot of coin on a first car, but also don't want to spend cash either. Does car options matter with insurance? How about car dealerships, do they care if I don't have a full G? When going for my G1 exit exam (the driving test to get the G2) do I need my own car?

Thanks in advance!
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
13 replies
Jr. Member
Feb 10, 2018
168 posts
26 upvotes
Shiznacka wrote: Question for everyone!

I've never had a full license, and actually, only recently (within 2 years) got my G1. I've lived in downtown Toronto for about 10 years and never thought about driving, ever lol. But now I'm in the burbs and its hitting me about how much easier having a car would make my life. As an example: Bus to work = 1.5 hours. Drive = 22mins

So queue to my question. I'm planning on doing driving school (gonna feel old for sure). But if/when I pass and everything is good, how hard is insurance going to kill me. I'm Male, 30+, new driver.

Also I'm looking into a used car, lease most likely. Don't want to dump a lot of coin on a first car, but also don't want to spend cash either. Does car options matter with insurance? How about car dealerships, do they care if I don't have a full G? When going for my G1 exit exam (the driving test to get the G2) do I need my own car?

Thanks in advance!
First of all, you don't need your own car for G1 exit exam. You can hire an instructor & use theirs.

Insurance rate depends on variety of factors. Area you live in, your age, type of car you're going to be driving, how much travelling you will do in a day & others. After you get your G2, you can go online & check the sites like https://www.lowestrates.ca/insurance/auto or https://www.ratehub.ca/insurance/best-c ... ance-quote to see how much you may have to pay.
Last edited by binarynumber on Feb 3rd, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1833 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
You're going to be rated as the new driver you are. As for how much as the other poster said many things go into factoring that, including what car you get so as suggested play around with online quotes.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2878 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shiznacka wrote: Question for everyone!

I've never had a full license, and actually, only recently (within 2 years) got my G1. I've lived in downtown Toronto for about 10 years and never thought about driving, ever lol. But now I'm in the burbs and its hitting me about how much easier having a car would make my life. As an example: Bus to work = 1.5 hours. Drive = 22mins

So queue to my question. I'm planning on doing driving school (gonna feel old for sure). But if/when I pass and everything is good, how hard is insurance going to kill me. I'm Male, 30+, new driver.

Also I'm looking into a used car, lease most likely. Don't want to dump a lot of coin on a first car, but also don't want to spend cash either. Does car options matter with insurance? How about car dealerships, do they care if I don't have a full G? When going for my G1 exit exam (the driving test to get the G2) do I need my own car?

Thanks in advance!
Hopefully you've not moved too Brampton! Rates are ridiculous in that area. I would say go on a site like Kanetix.ca and get a quote on how much it would cost (on their site they actually list the most cost effective vehicles on their car list I believe). Price it out, and hopefully you don't have a heart attack after seeing the premium quote. Right now I'm shopping around for insurance because my rates are so high, but I got some cheaper rates with other provider.

Good luck.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3119 posts
210 upvotes
Newmarket
lamboman wrote: Hopefully you've not moved too Brampton! Rates are ridiculous in that area. I would say go on a site like Kanetix.ca and get a quote on how much it would cost (on their site they actually list the most cost effective vehicles on their car list I believe). Price it out, and hopefully you don't have a heart attack after seeing the premium quote. Right now I'm shopping around for insurance because my rates are so high, but I got some cheaper rates with other provider.

Good luck.
Thanks!

I'm in Newmarket, so hopefully I'm far enough out of the city lol.
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Newbie
Oct 1, 2006
69 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I actually went through this about 5 years ago. I got my G2 at 27 years old and proceeded to shop for insurance as a new driver. First thing I figured out was even a cheap used car was going to cost a fortune in insurance so I went with a new car figuring it would somewhat justify the high cost.

Getting quotes was a nightmare, online system was not accurate as to when you would actually call in to confirm, phoning in to certain companies they wouldn't even give me a quote said I would be wasting my time lol. I just kept phoning and phoning anyone that would give me a quote until I found one company that was a reasonable.

Also if you have home or renters insurance bundle to try and get a discount.

Even with a discount with home insurance included, my insurance for a brand new Mazda 3 was $4200 for the first year as a new driver. My daily commute was 16km for the day.

Just keep phoning every insurance number you can find, it's a pain and very time consuming but eventually you will find somebody.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4758 posts
3298 upvotes
Lease new car, buy used car. Do not lease a used car, deal usually sucks.

Car insurance has 2 parts. PLPD - Personal Liability and Property Damage and Comprehensive/Collison.

PLPD is on the driver, based on insurance history. It covers what you hit in an at fault accident and it's compulsory. You will start from scratch and probably around $2K/month for $1M coverage in GTA (at least that's last year's rate)

Comprehensive is coverage on damages on your car and is based on where you live and what you drive. For example, the worse case scenario is a Civic in Brampton. A car with high loss rate and in an area with high claim/fraud rate.

So as it's your first car, you probably want to save $ on insurance and do the basic PLPD only. Then you should shop for something reliable in the $5-$8K range. Usual suspect is Civic/Corolla for reliability.

If you have cash to spare, you can probably go lease a new Corolla for around $350/month but your insurance should be in the $3.5-$4.5K/year range. Since lease requires comprehensive/collision coverage. Talk to an agent for best rate. Online quote will only give you a rough idea and not accurate. It's quite easy for them to quote you a low number and then a way higher one when you connect with the agent.
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2011
555 posts
122 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
mattw3155 wrote: I actually went through this about 5 years ago. I got my G2 at 27 years old and proceeded to shop for insurance as a new driver. First thing I figured out was even a cheap used car was going to cost a fortune in insurance so I went with a new car figuring it would somewhat justify the high cost.

Getting quotes was a nightmare, online system was not accurate as to when you would actually call in to confirm, phoning in to certain companies they wouldn't even give me a quote said I would be wasting my time lol. I just kept phoning and phoning anyone that would give me a quote until I found one company that was a reasonable.

Also if you have home or renters insurance bundle to try and get a discount.

Even with a discount with home insurance included, my insurance for a brand new Mazda 3 was $4200 for the first year as a new driver. My daily commute was 16km for the day.

Just keep phoning every insurance number you can find, it's a pain and very time consuming but eventually you will find somebody.
Has it dropped significantly in 5 years or still high?
Just wondering how long until we see my wife's insurance drop.
Newbie
Oct 1, 2006
69 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I will be 5 years this summer, no accidents or tickets. I have stuck with the same insurance company and my commute is the same. I will need to double check the numbers but I think I've dropped about 40%.
Jr. Member
Jan 28, 2017
130 posts
123 upvotes
Markham
Shiznacka wrote: Question for everyone!

I've never had a full license, and actually, only recently (within 2 years) got my G1. I've lived in downtown Toronto for about 10 years and never thought about driving, ever lol. But now I'm in the burbs and its hitting me about how much easier having a car would make my life. As an example: Bus to work = 1.5 hours. Drive = 22mins

So queue to my question. I'm planning on doing driving school (gonna feel old for sure). But if/when I pass and everything is good, how hard is insurance going to kill me. I'm Male, 30+, new driver.

Also I'm looking into a used car, lease most likely. Don't want to dump a lot of coin on a first car, but also don't want to spend cash either. Does car options matter with insurance? How about car dealerships, do they care if I don't have a full G? When going for my G1 exit exam (the driving test to get the G2) do I need my own car?

Thanks in advance!
This was about 2 years ago, but a friend of mine went through the same thing. New driver, got full G license in his early 30s and did drivers ed on weekends with a bunch of high school kids for the insurance discount. He ended up buying a 1-2 year old Mazda 3 with a G2, I think insurance was 3-4k a year, not sure what it is now but i'd imagine it would've dropped. Again like what others have said rates depend on location, risk profile of the driver/vehicle, etc, but if you're looking at recent model compact cars, Mazda 3's are probably the cheaper vs Civic, Corolla, etc..

As for car dealerships, as long as you have G2 and proof of insurance (when buying) they don't care. G1 exit exam pay an instructor to use their car.
Jr. Member
Feb 10, 2018
168 posts
26 upvotes
mattw3155 wrote: I actually went through this about 5 years ago. I got my G2 at 27 years old and proceeded to shop for insurance as a new driver. First thing I figured out was even a cheap used car was going to cost a fortune in insurance so I went with a new car figuring it would somewhat justify the high cost.

Getting quotes was a nightmare, online system was not accurate as to when you would actually call in to confirm, phoning in to certain companies they wouldn't even give me a quote said I would be wasting my time lol. I just kept phoning and phoning anyone that would give me a quote until I found one company that was a reasonable.

Also if you have home or renters insurance bundle to try and get a discount.

Even with a discount with home insurance included, my insurance for a brand new Mazda 3 was $4200 for the first year as a new driver. My daily commute was 16km for the day.

Just keep phoning every insurance number you can find, it's a pain and very time consuming but eventually you will find somebody.
That's one thing I have noticed about online insurance quotes, they tend to be on higher side. I wonder if it is like that because they actually want you to call in?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3119 posts
210 upvotes
Newmarket
Thanks everyone for the tips!

For driving schools, are there still ones where insurance deems a better option? I see so many out there so just wondering. I know when I was a teen, Young Drivers was where it was at but I have a couple local options which are different.

Also I'm looking in the $5-8k zone for a new used car. Found a couple low mileage options, but not the traditional ones. Friends told me to go with an Asian manufacturer and not NA as they usually stay together into the higher mileage zones. I can't see myself doing more then 20K KM a year so I was looking at ones with 120K - 180K in the KM's. Obviously the higher ones will be below my budget (better for me assuming they are well taken care of). I've also looked into getting from a dealer and not from a random person for warranty purposes, but not sure if that's a gimmick.
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Jr. Member
Jan 28, 2017
130 posts
123 upvotes
Markham
Shiznacka wrote: Thanks everyone for the tips!

For driving schools, are there still ones where insurance deems a better option? I see so many out there so just wondering. I know when I was a teen, Young Drivers was where it was at but I have a couple local options which are different.

Also I'm looking in the $5-8k zone for a new used car. Found a couple low mileage options, but not the traditional ones. Friends told me to go with an Asian manufacturer and not NA as they usually stay together into the higher mileage zones. I can't see myself doing more then 20K KM a year so I was looking at ones with 120K - 180K in the KM's. Obviously the higher ones will be below my budget (better for me assuming they are well taken care of). I've also looked into getting from a dealer and not from a random person for warranty purposes, but not sure if that's a gimmick.
Check MTO site and search the "approved" list. Those are the only ones that will give you the insurance discount.

And for used vehicles, I don't think anything in that price range will come with a warranty and likely will be sold as is. For any used car purchase, def need to bring it to a mechanic for pre-purchase inspection.
Member
User avatar
Oct 9, 2005
480 posts
62 upvotes
Thornhill
I was is the same shoes as OP last year. Definitely do drivers training, you will make back the cost from saving on insurance in just a year or two.

$5-8k will get you many options with under 150k mileage if you are not too picky. Factor in cost of insurance, maintenance costs and gas consumption before you buy.

Best to use a checklist of things to check before buying, and always take it to a mechanic for a prepurchase inspection before you commit. Youtuber "ChrisFix" has a good checklist to follow, it's the one i used before i bought my car.

I pay just under $4000 annually for auto insurance, 30's, 1 year G2, Markham area, primay driver.
Hi

Top