• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 9:54 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2018
66 posts
36 upvotes

First time DSLR buyer

I am looking for a DSLR camera for my wife for Christmas. I have come to the conclusion I am in over my head. So many different models and specs its a lot for someone who knows very little about camera's. I was looking at the Canon EOS Rebel SL2 on sale at best buy now for $599.99 comes with the basic lens. Any recommendations or opinions of the SL2 for a beginner would be appreciated, thanks
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1301 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
The only thing I know about the SL2 is that it is mirrorless and smaller than an SLR camera with a mirror (I think the latest one is the Rebel T8i). When I was first learning I bought a T2i. It was great for a starter camera. I guess the SL2 would be similar in regards to features and quality of photos. I don't think you could go wrong with the SL2 or T7i/T8i for a beginner. Unless there is a great deal for Black Friday, just stick with the stock lens for now. You don't know what lens your wife would like to have until she actually takes some pictures.

I actually forgo the stock lens and got a 50 mm prime lens (prime means no zoom). That was a mistake. I really needed a lens that could zoom in/out and more of a wide angle lens so that I didn't need to stay 1 table away from somebody to take a group picture. Even though the pictures probably came out sharper than the stock lens I was still stuck having to stand so far back to take a picture. Eventually, I saved up and bought a Tokina wide angle lens (I think it's 11-16 mm) which was so much better because I could stand just a few steps away and take group pictures.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7374 posts
1326 upvotes
Since this is going to be happening a lot closer to the holiday season, I just wanted to post a very useful guide from dpreview, worth looking into for sure.

https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying ... -beginners

As for the SL2, it isn't too bad as for as entry DSLR goes, pretty compact, Dual Pixel focus, takes Canon's popular EF-Mount lens and it was DP's pick for top beginners camera.

The other camera worth thinking about is probably the Canon M50 if she wants an even smaller and lighter camera with 2x fps, better video (4k&Slow Motion) but only if she isn't going to buy a lot of lens later. M50 is newer so less sale discount but since it is Mirrorless, it has more automated user friendly features, such as more AF pts, Face tracking, Eye Detection AF, which would allow a beginner a better chance of great shots, especially of people..
Last edited by hdom on Nov 13th, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7374 posts
1326 upvotes
SL2 is probably the most compact DSLR, but it still has a mirror. The mirrorless APS sensor lineup for Canon starts with M, like M6, M50, M100, etc...
ds2chan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:10 pm
The only thing I know about the SL2 is that it is mirrorless and smaller than an SLR camera with a mirror...
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1301 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:32 pm
SL2 is probably the most compact DSLR, but it still has a mirror. The mirrorless APS sensor lineup for Canon starts with M, like M6, M50, M100, etc...
Oh, thanks for the correction. My bad. I always thought the SL line up were mirrorless for some reason.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
I don't know if this will help you, but I was in the market for a camera. I needed something for product shots. At first, I had planned a budget of $6,000, some nice glass and a full-frame DSLR. Then I was gonna just use my smartphone. I then started this thread:

digital-camera-recommendation-product-shots-2237087/

I looked at used 40D's, then decided to get a new DSLR body at the entry level. I decided on a T5, then found a T6 on sale. I decided against the two and finally opted for a Canon SL2. Also, from the link above, I am getting a Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens. I have checked the specs and the SL2 is very similar, but not identical to a Canon T7i, but for almost half the price. I also read that someone was deciding between an 80D and an SL2 and opted for the SL2 instead. Goodluck, I hope this helps you.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11033 posts
5178 upvotes
Southern Ontario
This happens a lot at a Christmas, cameras ending up in drawers a couple of months later because people start realizing taking out the gear, uploading SDcards, editing etc is a hassle. Phone are on us all the time, edit right on the phone, share right away.

Buy from Costco, you have 90d. If she’s passionate enough to take a course, shoot outside Auto, learn to compose, understand light, edit, print and frame her own images, then it’ll be worth it and not a big paperweight.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1026 posts
315 upvotes
Buy her a Leica M10 + a 35mm Summilux. It's the most versatile kit that will work well in low light too. Don't buy the M10-P, it's too discreet. And not the M10-D, it has no LCD so for a first time user, it might be less fun.

Joke aside, I think a Fuji X-T100 could be a good choice. It does good pictures, looks attractive and the Fuji apps works quite well with smartphone. You can take a bunch of pictures and send them to your phone.
Only downside is if she loves photography after, the lenses are a bit on the pricey side specially compared to Canon DSLR's lenses.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2418 posts
601 upvotes
Kingston
My wife and I both enjoy our various versions of the Olympus OMD EM5. We had Canon APSC cameras before and they were too bulky and ended up not being taken most places. Got a couple of ape cases and now store a body and several lenses in them for travel. Added advantage is I have a (reasonably useable) 600mm equivalent lens for travel (wildlife) that I’d never have been able to afford on a larger body.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
captainjay09 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 12:51 pm
I am looking for a DSLR camera for my wife for Christmas. I have come to the conclusion I am in over my head. So many different models and specs its a lot for someone who knows very little about camera's. I was looking at the Canon EOS Rebel SL2 on sale at best buy now for $599.99 comes with the basic lens. Any recommendations or opinions of the SL2 for a beginner would be appreciated, thanks
Captainjay09, just wanted to follow-up. I had previously decided on the SL2, but I ended up buying the Canon T6. I had the one with the DC lens, however, I read that the other variant is actually better. You may wish to buy the Canon T6, with the IS lens, it is on sale at Henry's for $469.99. You get excellent lens with IS and it has a lot of the features of the SL2, except for 1080p @60fps, but the T6 has 1080p at 30fps. I don't care either way about this, because I bought a DSLR and not a camcorder. For movies, you may wish to buy a dedicated device with 4k.

Here is the Henry's link:
https://www.henrys.com/93526-CANON-EOS- ... IS-II.aspx
[OP]
Jun 6, 2018
66 posts
36 upvotes
Those are the two I am debating between, I'm not sure if the sl2 is worth the extra $230 or not. I have no doubts its a better camera but still just entry level. Decisions decisions, thanks for the information
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
captainjay09 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 2:50 pm
Those are the two I am debating between, I'm not sure if the sl2 is worth the extra $230 or not. I have no doubts its a better camera but still just entry level. Decisions decisions, thanks for the information
Good point. I was stuck between the T6 and SL2. My philosophy was that it was a beginner camera and I would spend as little money as possible on it, because it wasn't worth spending the extra money on an APS-C camera. I would splurge a bit more if I got more into photography and was willing to dish out some more money for a full-frame camera. Until then, I spent the money I saved on a prime lens for my purposes.

The SL2 has 60 fps versus 30 fps. This really didn't matter to me since I was buying a photography tool, and if I wanted video, I would need 4k. I looked at the sample videos and it is good, but it isn't amazing. 10MP is already excellent, 18MP is overkill for 99% of photographers. Right around 2MP and the image maxes out a standard gaming monitor. I never use burst mode and most of my photos are captured in the 200-800 ISO range.

The SL2 and T6 can both use EF and EF-S lens. I read that some female photographers prefer the T6 grip over the SL2 because the SL2 has a smaller grip. I actually wouldn't mind if the T6 grip were a bit beefier. I didn't get a chance to use the SL2, I took photos with the T6 and the autofocus is fast and excellent.

The most important part is that your wife starts building a nice lens collection. The bodies will change over time. If she starts acquiring some "L" glass, later on she may move to a full-frame DSLR and she will need to re-use her lens (and put the T6 in the closet). If she ends up not liking DSLR photography, then a T6 is less of a blow to your wallet than an SL2. I am just doing preliminary testing and the 50mm 1.8 has some fantastic bokeh. You may want to do a T6 and the 50mm 1.8. This 50mm lens will be good for portraits and still life photography (taking a picture of food, pastries, flower arrangements, etc...). If your wife loves the SL2, I think that she will love the T6.

The key points I looked for was: 1) Minimum 10 MP, 2) Can handle EF and EF-S lens, 3) handle at least 1600-3200 ISO 4) 2014 or newer
T6 and SL2 both fit this, but T6 is $200+ cheaper.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
One other minor detail was that I liked the look of the T6 more. It looked prettier and had a more professional look (at least to me) because the mode dial sits on top of the camera like it sits on the camera's shoulder, while the one on the SL2 was recessed.

The original SL1 had the mode dial sitting on top just like the T6, but Canon dropped it in the SL2 and made it flat and recessed. You can grip the mode dial with your index finger and thumb on the T6, I liked the feel of that over the SL2.

Despite the SL2 having better features, I felt that I would have made a mistake if I bought the SL2. I am very happy with the T6.
Jul 12, 2010
428 posts
66 upvotes
If you plan to be really basic and never learn anything and sit on auto... Maybe save your money and go with a T3-6 non i... hell even buy used is way better deals for canon stuff

But if you serious I feel like you should pony up the money for any i version or SL2... just cause quality is better and usually a lot more cross AF points so easier to hit focus not just the center subject... from what I remember back in the day when picking between the rebel.

SL line up is a little smaller body than rebel... probably better IQ than non i but not as good as the i models.. I didn't like it as much I liked the bigger grip on my T4i and I think it has a little less cross point AFs again.

TBH I think you should think what the end goal is for her as a photographer... maybe u just need a more expensive all in one for travel and never have to think about buying more lenses to add to your collection cuz photography isn't a cheap hobby to jump into... you get GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) easily. hehe
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7728 posts
3582 upvotes
Toronto
i bought a DSLR and I never use it.

get a small camera with a nice optical zoom, fortget DSLR. you can get those nice canon ones forl ike $250 with 20x optimal szoom.. small portable camera fits in your pocket.. if u can master that, then move to a mirrorless. I regret buy a dSLR.