Parenting & Family

First time expecting parents - what to prepare?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 12:29 am
Jan 12, 2017
23 posts
8 upvotes
That makes more sense since you are early so is good you are looking into.

In Alberta the new parent books are free at the Doc office since they just request more copies from the provincial government. I imagine Ont is the same and if your doc doesn't have it the obgyn likely should and definitely get a copy or two.
Gibbscr wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 6:51 pm
Yes a bit clueless ... I am not aware of any book I am supposed to get from the government.

We just got the news from the doctor who's referring us to obgyn
Jan 19, 2007
606 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Gibbscr wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 1:19 pm
So many options, so many things to do ... I would appreciate tips / list of things I need to prepare for ahead of time for the baby, so far I have things like:
  • day care wait list
  • stroller / baby car seat - must have from day 0
Things like baby gate etc could wait until the baby move around, anything else I should prepare way ahead of time for?
that many of things you plan for go out the door....
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14591 posts
3914 upvotes
Ottawa
Kayceern wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:23 pm
1. You can't attend prenatal classes until you're at least 32 weeks. OP is far from that but yes can register unless they prefer online which they already did.
2. Birth plan will come later. They had just been referred to an Obgyn.
3. What the... ?!

OP, don't get overwhelmed. Everything will fall into place as soon as you meet your obgyn. I'm 29 weeks pregnant myself; congrats btw. Be sure to know that you also have the option to go with a midwife. I wanted one but still on a waitlist for those who can birth at sunnybrook and north York. See which hospital your doctor has privileges at, that's where you will likely give birth.
You can attend prenal classes at any time, the suggested 20-36 weeks, are exactly that...a suggestion.

Again, a birth plan can be discussed/confirmed at anytime, why not do it when you can?

Registering at the delivering hospital (where your OB practises or delivers), allows you to provide benefit information, type of room you want (semi or private) and also discuss cord blood options.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
Kayceern wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:23 pm
OP, don't get overwhelmed. Everything will fall into place as soon as you meet your obgyn. I'm 29 weeks pregnant myself; congrats btw. Be sure to know that you also have the option to go with a midwife. I wanted one but still on a waitlist for those who can birth at sunnybrook and north York. See which hospital your doctor has privileges at, that's where you will likely give birth.
Yeah it's overwhelming because you just want to make prep to make it as smooth as possible.

Thoughts on why you are considering midwife vs obgyn? wouldn't you need obgyn in case some emergencies that midwife cant handle?
Jan 21, 2017
1 posts
Hello Gibbscr and congrats :)
There are some things that you must have like blankets, car seat, clothes, diapers, food, prepared bed, etc. But don't worry because all parents have been in this situation. For example, when I was expecting my first baby I was so nervous. Luckily, my husband was there for me. We both attended prenatal classes and that was very helpful. Also, I read many books baby hood and child raising. There are also many great articles and advices on baby and pregnancy sites that could help you.
Good luck :)
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15087 posts
1086 upvotes
Thornhill
A lot of good advice. Looking back, I would suggest:
- get some help in the first few days - they are the most exhausting, especially with feeding every hour
- see a lactation consultant - we saw one three times before we figured everything out
- start sleep training early, like at 4mos
- NEVER start co-sleeping - it'll be a habit that will be difficult for the baby to break

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Aug 21, 2014
485 posts
118 upvotes
car seat(s)
stroller
diapers
clothes
crib / toddler bed
toys
playpen
bath seat / bathe stuff
baby bullet vs jars of food
pump
solar net / car shades
baby wipes / creams / powder
diaper changing pad (not a table)
baby monitor w/ video
baby thermometer
vehicle / SUV / consumer reports
ipad / video recording
maternity clothes
Sep 3, 2013
632 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
Gibbscr wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 8:51 am
Yeah it's overwhelming because you just want to make prep to make it as smooth as possible.

Thoughts on why you are considering midwife vs obgyn? wouldn't you need obgyn in case some emergencies that midwife cant handle?
I've heard of lots of positive experiences with a midwife. Going with a midwife, you can give birth in different locations, i.e. Birth centers, home, hospital. They are the experts at giving birth whilst obgyns are doctors trained to deliver babies and know the female reproductive organs. I was surprised to learn the scope of practice of a midwife - they bring over intubation kits and resuscitation cart with them. They cannot perform surgery but they can perform a variety of interventions, in or out of hospital. I'm a nurse and I find that they are advocates for their patients.

If I get pregnant again, the minute I see a positive HPT, I am putting myself on a midwife waitlist. I have an obgyn right now and slated to give birth at Sunnybrook.

If you want more info, check out http://www.torontobirthcentre.ca/finding-a-midwife/
May 22, 2016
721 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
Get a Costo membership for wipes and diapers
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13120 posts
645 upvotes
To be honest you don't need to prepare too much.

Diapers - I would get to much at first as you won't know what size and brand will work best...i.e. We never had a baby that fit into N (our premature baby was just under 8 pounds).

Crib - a box works fine too. As does cosleeping. But a crib is ok if that's what you want. Our kids were in our room for the first 18 months or so.

Blankets and other swaddling items.

Probably the most important thing we learned was to have food prepared in the fridge and freezer so you can have good meals without thinking too much about it.

As for midwife - much preferred over OB. We had an OB and doula for our first (birth at hospital), midwifes and doula at home for second. Midwife...but hospital birth with doctors....he was too big and needed forceps (11 lbs)...was also during ice storm so our house didn't have power.

If there is a risk, the midwife will either arrange for a hospital birth or will readily call for an ambulance if having a home birth. They are not there to take chances. Even at a hospital it's not like you will get the most experienced (or your doctor) we progressed from resident to head within 15 minutes...
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2535 posts
375 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
ear plugs. the cheap foam ones. buy a box.

Any time you are holding a crying baby pop one in on the ear closest to baby. It will save your sanity.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1675 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
Just had our 2nd baby 6 weeks ago - lots of lessons learned from 1st to 2nd. Lots of good tips here already..here are some additional thoughts:

1. Tell your wife to pick up a pack of Depends - yes the super absorbent undies. My water broke first in both pregnancies - and contrary to TV, you don't go to the hospital right away. Both times, I didn't go to the hospital until contractions were 5 minutes apart - which was 18-24 HOURS later. I wore Depends and was able to have a semi-normal day without leaving amniotic fluid everywhere. I also wore them the first few days after labour - where there's also lots of fluids - much more comfortable than the skateboard pads they'll give at the hospital.

2. +1111111 to having a lactation consultant lined up - get them in as soon as you can after birth to help you with breastfeeding. If you can, ask the nurses to help you latch the baby right after birth (during that initial skin-to-skin), that will also help with milk production.

3. Use Olive Oil for the first few diapers changes - the tar like poop is impossible to remove - olive oil helps. You can also use it to massage into their skin with all the skin peeling that happens.

4. +11111111 for the midwife. Had an OB/GYN for Birth #1 - midwife for Birth #2. Huge difference. Key benefits for me included:
- they come to your house for post-natal care for the first 10 days! It was -15 the week I had my baby, and I didn't have to leave my house for the first two weeks. Also reduces exposure to germs and no annoying doctors office waits.
- continuity of care - I saw the same midwife team for the duration of my pregnancy and had them at my labour
- continuity during labour - no waiting for OB/GYN to progress with your birth. During my 1st labour, I moved very quickly but the nurses didn't realize it - and I couldn't begin pushing until the OB checked me. However he was busy with another birth. That unnecessarily prolonged my labour for over an hour and that last hour was horrible. 2nd labour - midwives stayed with me and recognized all the signs when I was ready to push - there was no delay and no excessive suffering.

5. Hire a Doula - they proides support before/after and during labour. During pregnancy, she was available 24 hours for any questions i had. During labour, she knew pressure points and breathing techniques etc. to help reduce my discomfort. After labour, she did post natal visits and provided support. For my 2nd labour, I thought we didn't need one - but my husband LOVED having one - it made his job easier as you have someone who's done this before.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
jandumm wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 9:51 am
4. +11111111 for the midwife. Had an OB/GYN for Birth #1 - midwife for Birth #2.
Where do we go about getting one? We were told by the fam doctor that midwife would be something we need to look for ourselves?
Are they covered by OHIP? Would we still be delivering in hospital? What happen if there are some medical emergencies during delivery?

Do you go around interviewing a few "candidates" before deciding which midwife to go with?
Can we decide to switch from midwife to OB or the other way around, if we started with OB and decided to go with midwife?
jandumm wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 9:51 am
5. Hire a Doula - they proides support before/after and during labour. During pregnancy, she was available 24 hours for any questions i had. During labour, she knew pressure points and breathing techniques etc. to help reduce my discomfort. After labour, she did post natal visits and provided support. For my 2nd labour, I thought we didn't need one - but my husband LOVED having one - it made his job easier as you have someone who's done this before.
Likewise above, is this something covered by OHIP? Where do we find one?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13120 posts
645 upvotes
Midwife is covered....can be a huge waitlist.

Normally you pick a clinic with privileges at your local hospital. They don't have same rights at other hospitals. Example: due to ice storm we were at a hotel, when my wife went I to lab our we were rushed to my Sinai. Our midwife has no rights there so we were lucky they even allowed her in the room. If we had been at EY then she would have run the show unless something needed to be escalated.

So you pick a clinic and get a midwife based on availability. You also get the secondary who you will see as well. When we had the home birth we had both primary and secondary attend.

If you have the money and cannot get a midwife a doula is a nice to have...ours was working towards her midwifery designation...hey are not covered by ohip