• Jun 18th, 2018 10:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:53 am
Oh I don't know about that, I did a bit of research and read through the RDF threads on the product. Most people's reviews of the stuff were "you get what you paid for" but generally positive and happy with the results.

rona-black-earth-25l-88-77-qc-2-days-on ... 5-2185501/
I believe I actually said that in the past with that stuff. You get what you pay for.
Generally positive doesn't mean it'll help you with your goal. See what I learned over the years with RFD is a lot of people know the price of something but not it's value.
I learned a long time ago with Yardwork and housework is Labour is expensive even if doing it yourself. Sweat equity might be free but why spend the effort putting in "garbage" when you can spend a bit more and get the results you want.
You'll see this when people shop for the lowest price paint and have to do 2-3 coats vs guys whole pay more for Benjamin Moore or SW and save on labour/time.

Back on topic: What's wrong with Black earth? It's got next to no organics and nutrients in it for that you want Triplemix. Blackearth is filler, that's why it's so cheap. If you're going to spend the hours and hours to wheel barrel and raking dirt around, don't you want to do it with dirt that's going to help your lawn grow? Of course you do. That's why I'd rather get a cubic yard of garden soil or triplemix trucked to me (also avoids the mess in my car).
Jun 6, 2011
68 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:00 am
I believe I actually said that in the past with that stuff. You get what you pay for.
Generally positive doesn't mean it'll help you with your goal. See what I learned over the years with RFD is a lot of people know the price of something but not it's value.
I learned a long time ago with Yardwork and housework is Labour is expensive even if doing it yourself. Sweat equity might be free but why spend the effort putting in "garbage" when you can spend a bit more and get the results you want.
You'll see this when people shop for the lowest price paint and have to do 2-3 coats vs guys whole pay more for Benjamin Moore or SW and save on labour/time.

Back on topic: What's wrong with Black earth? It's got next to no organics and nutrients in it for that you want Triplemix. Blackearth is filler, that's why it's so cheap. If you're going to spend the hours and hours to wheel barrel and raking dirt around, don't you want to do it with dirt that's going to help your lawn grow? Of course you do. That's why I'd rather get a cubic yard of garden soil or triplemix trucked to me (also avoids the mess in my car).
Thanks for your input. Seems I'm setting myself up for failure in everyway. Reading up on how to do seed a lawn from scratch, I should be waiting till after the summer.

This is just so frustrating. I don't want a fancy Texas style perfect lawn. I jsut want green coverage that's soft to for my kid to play with. Grass grows just fine on highway offramps. I'm mixing in clover... this is literally the most natural simply process I can think to do yet apparently without tons more time and effort and cash it won't work. Doesn't this stuff just grow naturally on its own?!
Nov 18, 2015
697 posts
466 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Lucky you that your lawn is just dead grass... mine has no grass but weed an slowly trying to fix it too -_-
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:52 pm
Thanks for your input. Seems I'm setting myself up for failure in everyway. Reading up on how to do seed a lawn from scratch, I should be waiting till after the summer.

This is just so frustrating. I don't want a fancy Texas style perfect lawn. I jsut want green coverage that's soft to for my kid to play with. Grass grows just fine on highway offramps. I'm mixing in clover... this is literally the most natural simply process I can think to do yet apparently without tons more time and effort and cash it won't work. Doesn't this stuff just grow naturally on its own?!
You can still get it now. You'll just need to spend a lot of water to get it. As you'll be trying to keep it moist and in the optimal temp range.

Once you get it set up for success the maintenance is easy. Don't cut too short and keep overseeding every year and fertilize.
Jun 6, 2011
68 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
wartune123 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:31 pm
Lucky you that your lawn is just dead grass... mine has no grass but weed an slowly trying to fix it too -_-
It took hours and hours but it was actually rewarding to flip the whole yard. Ended up finding all sorts within a foot of earth: roots of an old hedge fence, roots of a dead tree, roots of living tree, cinder blocks from an old porch foundation... it really connected me to my property in a way the modern homeowner probably never feels.

Anyways, there was a ton of weeds there too.. but I just kept ripping them up.. I'm sure they'll be back. I couldn't get the end of any dandilion or crab grass roots, honestly I'd dig around for a foot and carefully pull to try and get the whole thing out and it'd still break. I'd have a foot of root in my hand and there's still more underground!
Jun 6, 2011
68 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:01 pm
You can still get it now. You'll just need to spend a lot of water to get it. As you'll be trying to keep it moist and in the optimal temp range.

Once you get it set up for success the maintenance is easy. Don't cut too short and keep overseeding every year and fertilize.
I'm thinking of getting a sprinkler timer to ensure watering when I'm at the office which is when the sun's the worst. My current soil doesn't seem the worst. Do you think I have any hope with the black earth?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:57 pm
I'm thinking of getting a sprinkler timer to ensure watering when I'm at the office which is when the sun's the worst. My current soil doesn't seem the worst. Do you think I have any hope with the black earth?
Won't hurt (except your back) but it won't significantly help either. Most lawns are bad because they lack some or all of the needed nutrients to have a good lawn.
Jun 6, 2011
68 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:08 pm
Won't hurt (except your back) but it won't significantly help either. Most lawns are bad because they lack some or all of the needed nutrients to have a good lawn.
But if you leave a patch of land alone in Canada, seldom does it stay dirt. Stuff grows! Why the hell did we all decide to pick the one plant that needs all these requirements from the ground to grow properly? Why is grass so demanding?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6225 posts
3384 upvotes
Edmonton
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:29 pm
But if you leave a patch of land alone in Canada, seldom does it stay dirt. Stuff grows! Why the hell did we all decide to pick the one plant that needs all these requirements from the ground to grow properly? Why is grass so demanding?
You just need to learn to embrace your natural vegetation...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3737066

C
[OP]
Sep 4, 2007
677 posts
158 upvotes
Finally had time to buy a trimmer and cut the grass this weekend.
Is it too late into the season to seed the lawn now?