Home & Garden

First time with lawn owner...dead grass everywhere

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2018 12:06 pm
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote: You can still get it now. You'll just need to spend a lot of water to get it. As you'll be trying to keep it moist and in the optimal temp range.

Once you get it set up for success the maintenance is easy. Don't cut too short and keep overseeding every year and fertilize.
I'm thinking of getting a sprinkler timer to ensure watering when I'm at the office which is when the sun's the worst. My current soil doesn't seem the worst. Do you think I have any hope with the black earth?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
polish_jr333 wrote: I'm thinking of getting a sprinkler timer to ensure watering when I'm at the office which is when the sun's the worst. My current soil doesn't seem the worst. Do you think I have any hope with the black earth?
Won't hurt (except your back) but it won't significantly help either. Most lawns are bad because they lack some or all of the needed nutrients to have a good lawn.
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote: Won't hurt (except your back) but it won't significantly help either. Most lawns are bad because they lack some or all of the needed nutrients to have a good lawn.
But if you leave a patch of land alone in Canada, seldom does it stay dirt. Stuff grows! Why the hell did we all decide to pick the one plant that needs all these requirements from the ground to grow properly? Why is grass so demanding?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
polish_jr333 wrote: But if you leave a patch of land alone in Canada, seldom does it stay dirt. Stuff grows! Why the hell did we all decide to pick the one plant that needs all these requirements from the ground to grow properly? Why is grass so demanding?
You just need to learn to embrace your natural vegetation...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3737066

C
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
Finally had time to buy a trimmer and cut the grass this weekend.
Is it too late into the season to seed the lawn now?
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote: I believe I actually said that in the past with that stuff. You get what you pay for.
Generally positive doesn't mean it'll help you with your goal. See what I learned over the years with RFD is a lot of people know the price of something but not it's value.
I learned a long time ago with Yardwork and housework is Labour is expensive even if doing it yourself. Sweat equity might be free but why spend the effort putting in "garbage" when you can spend a bit more and get the results you want.
You'll see this when people shop for the lowest price paint and have to do 2-3 coats vs guys whole pay more for Benjamin Moore or SW and save on labour/time.

Back on topic: What's wrong with Black earth? It's got next to no organics and nutrients in it for that you want Triplemix. Blackearth is filler, that's why it's so cheap. If you're going to spend the hours and hours to wheel barrel and raking dirt around, don't you want to do it with dirt that's going to help your lawn grow? Of course you do. That's why I'd rather get a cubic yard of garden soil or triplemix trucked to me (also avoids the mess in my car).
Just wanted to update my situation and maybe gloat a little, if you'll let me :)

It's been almost 3 very very very hot weeks since I seeded my yard with grass and clover. It's completely green! I couldn't believe how well it's grown. I've been watering it for 5 minutes every hour thanks to a water timer and sprinkler. The black earth seemed to work just fine. Maybe it's because the seed I bought had built in fertalizer/nutrients. I bought another bag of seed because it could still be a fuller-looking lawn but I think I've established it quite well and if I give it another season or two, I should have a really nice lawn. The last three days I've seen some broad leaves shoot up which I think must be some kind of weed. I plan to overseed and weed the yards this weekend but I'm afraid to walk on it! How do I tend to it and eventually mow it in a week or two if I can't step on it?

Anyhoo, I can post some picutres if there's interest. I'm really happy with how it's gone so far.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Seriously? Most of us hate clover and do everything to get rid of it. Green but weed. Gloat away.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
polish_jr333 wrote: Just wanted to update my situation and maybe gloat a little, if you'll let me :)

It's been almost 3 very very very hot weeks since I seeded my yard with grass and clover. It's completely green! I couldn't believe how well it's grown. I've been watering it for 5 minutes every hour thanks to a water timer and sprinkler. The black earth seemed to work just fine. Maybe it's because the seed I bought had built in fertalizer/nutrients. I bought another bag of seed because it could still be a fuller-looking lawn but I think I've established it quite well and if I give it another season or two, I should have a really nice lawn. The last three days I've seen some broad leaves shoot up which I think must be some kind of weed. I plan to overseed and weed the yards this weekend but I'm afraid to walk on it! How do I tend to it and eventually mow it in a week or two if I can't step on it?

Anyhoo, I can post some picutres if there's interest. I'm really happy with how it's gone so far.
Post some pics! The heat is good for growth, but I don't envy you with your hydro bill this month. You are lucky that your existing lawn wasn't covered in weeds so you had a clean start. Don't seed with clover. It'll take over everything and it'll be a PITA to get rid of it if you decide otherwise. I've sodded and reseeded my front lawn multiple times and it's such joy to see the lush green grass growing as a result of your hard work. It takes constant work though as your first winter will probably kill some of the new grass as the roots haven't taken deep enough to survive it's first winter. Like others have said, it'll take a few years of good work to have a solid lush green lawn to enjoy and walk on.

If the grass is long enough, it'll survive some walking and mowing, just don't go tromping around all over it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
Clover is incredibly hardy. My lawn is completely dormant except the patches of clover.

The broadleaf likely came from the black earth like I said I had broadleaf and crabgrass after I top dressed with that stuff.

I stand by my advice of using good stuff once. But if you're happy that's all that matters.
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote: Clover is incredibly hardy. My lawn is completely dormant except the patches of clover.

The broadleaf likely came from the black earth like I said I had broadleaf and crabgrass after I top dressed with that stuff.

I stand by my advice of using good stuff once. But if you're happy that's all that matters.
Yeha, I'm happy. The broadleaf exposes itself so it'll be easy to do a couple rounds of yanking it out of the group in hopes less and less spurts back up. I'm liking the clover and can't wait to see what it looks like after a mow. I wouldn't mind if the lawn eventually becomes majority clover, but I'm tossing another bag of grass down to give it a fighting chance.

Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
Wow all that in 3 weeks? Impressive
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Jun 6, 2011
421 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
LyGuy wrote: Wow all that in 3 weeks? Impressive
I know right! That was actually a week ago so barely over 2 weeks! I'll take a shot after work tonight and post it... it's getting overgrown. I need to get going on buying a mower!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)