• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 7:10 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
19 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

First time to visit Spain

Hi there! My husband and I are planning to visit Spain this October-November. Tickets that I've looked at cost around $1200 CAD for a multi-city/open jaw ticket flying from Western Canada. Is this a good price or should I wait for it to go lower?

Here's the itinerary we were planning - any suggestions or recommendations are highly appreciated :)
  • Madrid: 2 days (arrive at night)
  • Barcelona: 5 days
  • Valencia: 2 days
  • Granada: 2 days
  • Morocco tour: 5 days (any suggestions on group tours for this?)
  • Seville: 2 days
  • Lisbon: 4 days (fly back home in the morning of the 5th day, not counted as a sightseeing day)
Thanks in advance to everyone who replies to this :)
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1581 posts
268 upvotes
Are you driving in between these places or taking the trains? One of the reason I ask is if Ure driving, there's a bunch of neat little town and villages you can visit along the way too. (altho train is much more time efficient going long distance point to point)

Instead of arriving Madrid and leaving Lisbon. Arriving in Barcelona and leave Madrid just before Lisbon will save you a lot of backtracking travel time?

No love for Gibraltar? (Assuming Brexit will leave it status quo)
Some will argue 2 days won't do Madrid and Sevilla justice.
Dec 4, 2011
763 posts
190 upvotes
Montreal
I would personally skip Morocco (with travel you only get 3 full days there) and add time to Valencia (which I prefer to Barcelona), Seville and Madrid. Also gives you a buffer for unexpected delays. Take the time to enjoy the places you visit instead of crossing stuff of a list.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3183 posts
930 upvotes
Ottawa
We flew Montreal to Malaga last fall, and booked our flight 7 months previously as we were told that seats sell out. That is true, with only two flights per week. We liked southern Spain so much, we've booked another trip there - Montreal to Malaga with Air Transat.

All that to say... even if there are a number of airlines flying regularly from your airport, I'd book early (now) as it is very unlikely prices will go down.

We took trains and buses everywhere, and loved Rhonda and Cordoba, which are not on your list. We'll be a week in Seville as part of out trip this year.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32406 posts
6792 upvotes
Ottawa
I would get a ticket as soon as possible. There are lots of flights to Spain if you change aircraft in London or Amsterdam or Frankfurt. if looking for direct flights, then there would be limitations.
I would suggest you cancel Morocco as well, spend extra days in Madrid and maybe a side trip to Porto when in Portugal before returning.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Nov 8, 2017
877 posts
419 upvotes
We're going over there in a week. We're flying in and out of Paris . Paid 1800 for two of us. Paid 200 for 2 from Paris to Lisbon, and on the way back 200 malaga -Paris

I think seville is overrated , and Malaga underrated. Seville doesn't even have a beach and 40 miles inland

We bought the Paris-Van flight in mid January. The domestic flights a week ago
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2714 posts
886 upvotes
You don't need five days in Barcelona or four days in Lisbon unless you are planning multiple road trips or taking it reaaally slow. Sample Barcelona itinerary:

Day 1: Casa Mila, Ramblas, Cathedral and/or Palau de Musica
Day 2: Park Guell, Sagrada Familia
Day 3: Train to Montserrat and then an evening show in Barcelona

Avoid Barcelonetta like the plague (unless it's to eat at Barraca).

I would spend more time in Valencia, Sevilla and hitting the little towns if you are renting a car or arranging for a local tour. I also disagree with skipping Morocco. If you are up for exploring the winding alleys of Fes and Marakesh, you will have an awesome time. Have fun and be safe!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3544 posts
446 upvotes
Madrid has some excellent day trip options, which I have posted in another thread (see below). I highly agree with what has been said before to skip Morocco for this trip and give a day or two to Madrid. Granada's Albaycin district is quite similar to the medina found in Moroccan cities, and should give you a sampler taste of Morocco.
heymikey wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 6:24 pm
One thing I love about Madrid are the numerous day trips you can do, such as:
Toledo, a well-preserved medieval town with a world-famous alcazar
Segovia, another well-preserved medieval town with a Roman aqueduct nearby and it's own famous alcazar and cathedral
Avila, another well-preserved medieval town and one of the few remaining towns in the world with an intact medieval city wall.
El Escorial, which has a monastery and the former residence of the royal family (I'm not sure if it is still being used as one). This is to Madrid what Versailles Palace is to Paris and what Windsor Castle (or Hampton Court Palace) is to London.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1841 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
luckypal wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 7:15 pm
Hi there! My husband and I are planning to visit Spain this October-November. Tickets that I've looked at cost around $1200 CAD for a multi-city/open jaw ticket flying from Western Canada. Is this a good price or should I wait for it to go lower?

Here's the itinerary we were planning - any suggestions or recommendations are highly appreciated :)
  • Madrid: 2 days (arrive at night)
  • Barcelona: 5 days
  • Valencia: 2 days
  • Granada: 2 days
  • Morocco tour: 5 days (any suggestions on group tours for this?)
  • Seville: 2 days
  • Lisbon: 4 days (fly back home in the morning of the 5th day, not counted as a sightseeing day)
Thanks in advance to everyone who replies to this :)
I would probably shelve Morocco for a different trip. As the country on a whole could be an entire trip on its own. Given you are in Spain and Portugal there’s more then enough to see and do.

I would probably adjust your itinerary a bit so you don’t have to change hotels as much. Sometimes changing where you stay can allow you to day trip to nearby cities without the hassle of packing up.

Madrid 2 nights
Barcelona 3 nights would be enough IMHO
Valencia 2 nights

I would stay in Malaga or Marbella 4-5 nights
**from there you could day trip to Granada, Gibraltar and both areas are nice costal towns.

I like Seville but I found one full day is more then enough. I would probably stay on the Algarve **3-4 nights max** (Faro is closest town to the Seville it’s about an hour away) and day trip to Seville (or a guided tour if you want). Algarve has a few nice little towns and accommodations are inexpensive. I have stayed on the Algarve and just did a day trip to Seville. October weather can still be very pleasant there.

I would recommend perhaps renting a car (if you aren’t already) in Portugal. You don’t need it for Lisbon obviously.

For Lisbon 2 full days is enough and add on another day or two for Cascais and/or Sintra and Fatima (if you are interested in that).

Would recommend Porto as well if you have time permitting (3 nights is fine). Especially if you are into wine / wine tours.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
19 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thanks for your feedback, everyone! :) I'm definitely taking your advice and cutting down the number of cities so that I can savor the experience more.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8244 posts
3972 upvotes
As others have mentioned, i would def cut down Barca to 3 days and spend an extra day in Madrid (it's a beautiful city).
Mar 20, 2019
1 posts
I would like to visit Barcelona, Madrid and Seville on my visit, but I would like to know if it's possible in 10 days of tour.
I do love to watch FCB playing at Camp Nou on my visit, but I do want to know the price of tickets for all stadiums, so I can plan my budget accordingly.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
19 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
manho wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 10:48 pm
Are you driving in between these places or taking the trains? One of the reason I ask is if Ure driving, there's a bunch of neat little town and villages you can visit along the way too. (altho train is much more time efficient going long distance point to point)

Instead of arriving Madrid and leaving Lisbon. Arriving in Barcelona and leave Madrid just before Lisbon will save you a lot of backtracking travel time?

No love for Gibraltar? (Assuming Brexit will leave it status quo)
Some will argue 2 days won't do Madrid and Sevilla justice.
Sorry for the delayed response. Based on the feedback I've gotten, I'm going to cut Lisbon from the itinerary and just go to Spain and do a 5 day tour of Northern Morocco. I'm taking your advice so I'm flying into Barcelona and leaving thru Madrid :) thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4996 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
One important piece of advice for Madrid. The museums all have free times - often in the evenings. The Prado is for example 6-8 daily. The Sofia Reina is similar with extended hours on the weekend. The thyssen is free monday afternoons. It’s a great way to save money and fill in time until a late Spanish dinner!