• Apr 16th, 2019 7:10 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
19 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
milhaus wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 8:27 am
One important piece of advice for Madrid. The museums all have free times - often in the evenings. The Prado is for example 6-8 daily. The Sofia Reina is similar with extended hours on the weekend. The thyssen is free monday afternoons. It’s a great way to save money and fill in time until a late Spanish dinner!
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to keep that in mind if we're in Madrid for those free times.
Nov 3, 2002
936 posts
75 upvotes
i would suggest contact these guys for a private tour of morocco.
www.destinationmoroccotours.com

They picked us up from ferry terminal (we took ferry from Algeciras (gibralter))

I would suggest chefchaouen, Fez and Marrakech. Should be able to do in 5 days.
Desert would add 2 days.

you might be able to get a cheap flight marrekech to lisbon or madrid. Will save you alot of travel time. and backtracking.
Nov 8, 2017
890 posts
428 upvotes
I'm here right now. It's kinda like mexico, but without the grinding poverty and violence
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9805 posts
2231 upvotes
Markham
Where do you guys put your wallet, phone and camera while traveling to Spain. I hear backpack is a nono (you have to put them in front) and also putting your wallet in the Jean's pocket is not safe neither.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32628 posts
6899 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 12:11 am
Where do you guys put your wallet, phone and camera while traveling to Spain. I hear backpack is a nono (you have to put them in front) and also putting your wallet in the Jean's pocket is not safe neither.
In your backpack is fine, just make sure the zippers are not just exposed. Use a lock or something so they cannot be opened easily.
I keep my wallet in my front pocket. You can put a rubber band around it to make it a bit more difficult to get out or you can feel it if someone tries to get it.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9805 posts
2231 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 8:39 am
In your backpack is fine, just make sure the zippers are not just exposed. Use a lock or something so they cannot be opened easily.
I keep my wallet in my front pocket. You can put a rubber band around it to make it a bit more difficult to get out or you can feel it if someone tries to get it.
Yeah, I did that when I was in Italy. Thought I should raise the security level in Barcelona lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32628 posts
6899 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 10:40 am
Yeah, I did that when I was in Italy. Thought I should raise the security level in Barcelona lol
Never had a problem in Barcelona but I am a bit careful everywhere.
The worst for scams and pickpockets of all the places I have been was New Orleans during Mardi Gras LOL
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4165 posts
1265 upvotes
Moncton
User455957 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 10:46 am
I think seville is overrated , and Malaga underrated. Seville doesn't even have a beach and 40 miles inland.
Lol. Although I enjoyed the occasional beach day on my 6 months + tour of Europe, I can’t imagine the beach is a priority on a 3 week European vacation from Canada.

OP, really hard to go wrong in Spain or Morocco. With the exception of Valencia (I went to Alicante), I went to all the places on your itinerary, and many more. The ferry to Morocco is somewhat enjoyable but quite time consuming, especially since you probably don’t want to hang out in Northern Morocco. Look at flight deals from Barcelona to Marakesh (or Merknes, or Fès).

Although Granada is exceptional, since you are going to Morocco, an argument could be made for skipping it. I highly recommend Morocco. It is safe, often dirt cheap, and stupid easy to get around, especially if you know some French. Parts of Spain are very Spanish. As in they do don’t speak English (or French) at all. More of an issue in smaller places like Alicante. Load up the translation app.

Highlights of Morocco for me were Marakesh, Meknes, Fez and Chefchouan. You don’t need a tour guide, all can easily be visited on foot and have good rail transportation (the exception being Chefchouan where you get there by a long bus ride). Secondary been there done that places were Rabat (the capital) and a short day trip to Casablanca. Tangier and Ceuta (Spanish territory in Africa) have a certain weirdness to them, but they don’t justify the long ferry ride vs flying.

My recommendation would be Madrid, fly to Morocco, select Fez or Marakesh, or fly to Rabat (or Casablanca) and visit either Fez (with Meksnes on the way) or Marakesh (or both) by rail. Then fly back to Lisbon (or Porto). Leave Catalonia to an other trip where you can include Marseilles/south of France and the Basque Country. Stick Seville in there if you opt for ground transportation at some point.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Apr 1, 2007
328 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
luckypal wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:16 pm
thanks for your feedback, everyone! :) I'm definitely taking your advice and cutting down the number of cities so that I can savor the experience more.
A few years ago, we went to Barcelona for a FCB soccer game, but we fell in love with the city and later the country. You are doing the right thing by reducing the number of destinations. My other recommendation is to rent apartment in city centers to better enjoy your stay.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2118 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
heymikey wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 9:29 am
Madrid has some excellent day trip options, which I have posted in another thread (see below). I highly agree with what has been said before to skip Morocco for this trip and give a day or two to Madrid. Granada's Albaycin district is quite similar to the medina found in Moroccan cities, and should give you a sampler taste of Morocco.
I’ve been telling people for years to visit Segovia and Avila but nobody listens to me :) Glad to see that you’ve been there. We enjoyed the off the beaten path places in Spain better than the big cities. Another great place to visit are the White Hill towns in Andalucia, very spectacular scenery in Zahara and Grazalema. Would like to go back again someday, it was that good.