Travel

Fishing licence, not marriage licence accepted as ID for woman blocked from WestJet flight

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 4:48 pm
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3342 posts
1226 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Sounds fishy.
Dec 24, 2007
587 posts
497 upvotes
BC
A fishing license definitely meets the rule that it is a "government-issued identification, at least one of which shows the holder's name, date of birth and gender", whereas a marriage license contains none of that stuff.

But whether a fishing license meets the spirit of the law, I would say "NO". How much verification is done on a fishing license for any of the information before it is issued, "zilch" as it is just meant to be used for other purposes by the BC government.

Someone dropped the ball on Security and just going by what the rule says.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5503 posts
2299 upvotes
Sounds like a TSA story...without the guns and ammo.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3722 posts
3388 upvotes
Vancouver
Kudos to Westjet for being aware of this loophole in the ID requirements, and also for helping this traveler use it to her advantage. Nicely done.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7374 posts
4822 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
This story pisses me off.
Honestly, WestJet personnel screwed up here.

The actual requirements from Public Safety Canada’s Website are:
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl ... ts-en.aspx
Required Documents for Domestic Travel

According to the Secure Air Travel Regulations, the required identification to take a domestic flight is:
  • one piece of valid government-issued photo identification that shows the holder's name, date of birth and gender;
  • two pieces of valid government-issued identification, at least one of which shows the holder's name, date of birth and gender; or
    a restricted area identity card.
For domestic flights within Canada, any valid identification that is issued by a recognized federal, provincial, or municipal government institution that has the required information may be used.
Below are some examples of valid government-issued identification documents.

Most would be sufficient on their own, while others may need to be supplemented with a second piece of valid government-issued identification:

And then the website lists SOME Examples.

BUT the actual requirement is
(A) ONE - FULL INFO VALID GOVERNMENT ISSUED PIECE OF ID (Photo, Name, DOB, and Gender)
OR
(B) TWO - GOVERNMENT ISSUED PIECES OF ID ... AT LEAST ONE WITH with Name, DOB & Gender

It’s either (A) or (B] not both. End of story.

The Temporary Cdn / BC Drivers License is VALID ID and would have met the first requirement
(Knowing that Temporary Drivers Licenses also include a photo... although sometimes they are 2 documents that must be presented together to work / be considered complete)

And the Marriage Certificate would definitely meet the requirements for one piece of Govt Issued ID as long as it was supported by a second item

Plain & Simple ...
Looks to me like WHOEVER at WestJet doesn’t know this.

They refused her Drivers License... wrongly so
And then made her go get a Fishing License supposedly as a back up to either of the pieces of ID that she did have

Even if the Temporary Drivers License had no photo component, she still had met all the Govt requirements with the documentation she had in hand (requirement B ... 2 pcs of Govt Issued ID)

Sure it’s a “funny story” to tell now

But in reality there was no reason to miss the flight, or shell out the extra $ 36
Although I understand the WHY... no one is going to start an argument in an airport with someone in authority...
cause that never ends well

BUT...

WestJet OWES HER
Both an apology, and some sort of Compensation for not knowing the actual law!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5503 posts
2299 upvotes
^ Depends on the jurisdiction. In Alberta the temporary driver's license that you get while awaiting your new one does not have a photo so would not satisfy the requirement under #1. It's a piece of paper.

According to this, it's the same in BC.

https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php ... er_License
Renewing an Expired BC Driver's License

Less than 3 years ago
Renew your license at any driver licensing office. You will not necessarily need to be re-tested. You will need to bring with you:
one piece of primary and one piece of secondary identification, and
the renewal fee of $75.
Once the renewal fee is paid, we'll take a new photo of you. You will receive a temporary paper license until your new photo license gets to you in the mail.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7374 posts
4822 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:45 pm
^ Depends on the jurisdiction. In Alberta the temporary driver's license that you get while awaiting your new one does not have a photo so would not satisfy the requirement under #1. It's a piece of paper.

I hear you.
But, still pretty sure though it’s the same as other provinces.
They take your photo... for the NEW License that comes in the mail.
Then hand you back your OLD License and a Temporary Paper one.
The instructions say... Temporary Paper one valid WITH the OLD License as photo ID
(You get pulled over, you got to show the cop both, until the NEW License arrives)

In any case...

Even, if that was not so for BC

The Temporary Paper License would meet the requirements of ... Name, DOB, and Gender
For Option (B) alongside the Govt Issued Marriage Certificate

I tell you ... this woman has a valid beef with WestJet

EDIT / ADD - At any rate, just ONE MORE REASON that everyone should get themselves a Cdn Passport
It stops all this nonsense from happening with the Airlines
Who make up their own rules and keep moving the goal posts
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5503 posts
2299 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:00 pm
I hear you.
But, still pretty sure though it’s the same as other provinces.
They take your photo... for the NEW License that comes in the mail.
Then hand you back your OLD License and a Temporary Paper one.
The instructions say... Temporary Paper one valid WITH the OLD License as photo ID
(You get pulled over, you got to show the cop both, until the NEW License arrives)

In any case...

Even, if that was not so for BC

The Temporary Paper License would meet the requirements of ... Name, DOB, and Gender
For Option (B) alongside the Govt Issued Marriage Certificate

I tell you ... this woman has a valid beef with WestJet

EDIT / ADD - At any rate, just ONE MORE REASON that everyone should get themselves a Cdn Passport
It stops all this nonsense from happening with the Airlines
Who make up their own rules and keep moving the goal posts
Interesting. In Alberta you don't get your old license back. They keep it.

All over that idea of having a passport but then we're traveling fairly extensively around the world which you, obviously, can't do without one. Add a Nexus card for even less headache when traveling via the US.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2014 posts
723 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
In BC you don't have to indicate your gender anymore. Just put an X beside it.
That applies to drivers licenses, identity cards, birth certificates and BC Services Card.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3698 posts
1317 upvotes
Mississauga
Who carries their marriage license around with them? The last time I saw ours was on our wedding day after which it got put away with the rest of our legal documents.
Nov 8, 2017
747 posts
333 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:45 pm

true. When I renewed my DL this year, they gave me a yellow temp license. Had to take my PP with me for a couple weeks
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3722 posts
3388 upvotes
Vancouver
mrweather wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 9:03 am
Who carries their marriage license around with them?
I carry a notarized copy in my passport when traveling with my wife and kids. My wife kept her maiden name, so it's not immediately obvious from just the passports that she is the kids' mother. I've never been asked for it yet but I still carry it.
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3722 posts
3388 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:31 pm
This story pisses me off.
Honestly, WestJet personnel screwed up here.

The actual requirements from Public Safety Canada’s Website are:
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl ... ts-en.aspx

And then the website lists SOME Examples.

BUT the actual requirement is
(A) ONE - FULL INFO VALID GOVERNMENT ISSUED PIECE OF ID (Photo, Name, DOB, and Gender)
OR
(B) TWO - GOVERNMENT ISSUED PIECES OF ID ... AT LEAST ONE WITH with Name, DOB & Gender

It’s either (A) or (B] not both. End of story.
BC temp DL has no photo, so it counts as B. Fishing license counts as B as well, so that would satisfy the "two pieces of B" requirement. You seem to be saying that if the temp DL had a photo in it, then it would count as A and not B, which would be grounds for a refusal. I'm glad you're not in charge, because there's a special place in hell for airline, security, and border agents who enforce these sorts of technicalities and thwart people's travel plans for no good reason at all. I'm sorry that WestJet's helping this woman fly pisses you off. It gives me warm fuzzies.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7374 posts
4822 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 3:22 pm
BC temp DL has no photo, so it counts as B. Fishing license counts as B as well, so that would satisfy the "two pieces of B" requirement. You seem to be saying that if the temp DL had a photo in it, then it would count as A and not B, which would be grounds for a refusal.

I'm glad you're not in charge, because there's a special place in hell for airline, security, and border agents who enforce these sorts of technicalities and thwart people's travel plans for no good reason at all. I'm sorry that WestJet's helping this woman fly pisses you off. It gives me warm fuzzies.
No, I said... that if the Temporary Drivers License was a combo of the paper renewal and the OLD expired Drivers License with photo on it (Knowing that it also has all the same info on it as the temporary Renewal ... NAME, DOB, GENDER, etc) that as a VALID Legal Document when both are in hand... (and no longer considered Expired) ... that the Traveller would satisfy the requirements of Option (A)

And there would be therefore NO NEED to go onto OPTION (B) and have to produce 2 forms of Govt Issued ID

And even if... as folks say, the BC Drivers Temporary License has no photo associated with it (ie the OLD Drivers License exists no more) then the combo of the BC Temporary Drivers License... and the Govt Issued Marriage Certificate (as in AFTER THE MARRIAGE ... so current name... and not a Marriage License) would be enough ID to meet the LEGAL REQUIREMENTS of OPTION (B)

NOTE - As per their own website, WestJet says they accept Marriage Certificates as a form of ID to prove a name change (so if one has recently married and not yet updated the rest of their ID... like a Passport)

So this whole... we don’t accept a Marriage Certificate as ID is just bogus crap that some WestJet Gate personnel is arbitrarily imposing on the Traveller. And a money maker for the conveniently located in Airport BC Fishing Licenses Group.

That’s what pisses me off.

And ya, I used to work for Customs. But doesn’t mean I cannot be the person on the other side of the counter who has a sense of reason.