• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2016 2:51 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 17, 2015
5 posts
Petrolia, ON

Fitbit a good buy?

I am undecided if I should spend the money on a Fitbit HR?

Anyone have one and is it accurate in counting steps, calories and heart rate?

Are the cheaper/better alternatives?

Thanks
38 replies
Dec 17, 2015
5 posts
Petrolia, ON
Thanks,

There is a ton of info there, good article.

The guy is obviously markteting the Fitbit, so not sure if everything is 100% honest, but its a good start.

If anyone else has more personal experience would be good to know.

On the Dr.Oz show they said that some of the most expansive ones were the least accurate, bit they did not mention the brand names.

Not very helpful that was

Anyone else tried them.

I was thinking fitbit HR, It's for my teen daughter though, not really an athlete
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13280 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Waste of money. I'm using iPhone's "Health" app. I think android has something similiar.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 13, 2015
13 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill, ON
If you get the Charge / Charge HR, make sure you get a screen protector on the screen.
OR else you can easily get this:

Battery lasts about 4 days. Fitbit step counter and the samsung Shealth doesn't always match up.
Oct 20, 2004
639 posts
152 upvotes
Ottawa
Kimz22pug wrote: Thanks,

There is a ton of info there, good article.

The guy is obviously markteting the Fitbit, so not sure if everything is 100% honest, but its a good start.
Umm, he isn't marketing it. DCR has some of the most thorough and unbiased reviews that you will find. He does prefer certain product ecosystems over others but he isn't getting kickbacks from manufacturers. Any money he does make off of his blog is well deserved for the amount of effort he puts into his reviews.

Why do you want something with HR if it is for your daughter who is not really an athlete? I am guessing this is a Christmas present so unfortunately it is too late for you to get a cheap activity band from China. I am also guessing that it is something that she requested so that probably means you will just have to get it for her anyway. Sounds like something that she will stop using by mid-January but hopefully not.
Dec 17, 2015
5 posts
Petrolia, ON
yaldaren wrote: Umm, he isn't marketing it. DCR has some of the most thorough and unbiased reviews that you will find. He does prefer certain product ecosystems over others but he isn't getting kickbacks from manufacturers. Any money he does make off of his blog is well deserved for the amount of effort he puts into his reviews.

Why do you want something with HR if it is for your daughter who is not really an athlete? I am guessing this is a Christmas present so unfortunately it is too late for you to get a cheap activity band from China. I am also guessing that it is something that she requested so that probably means you will just have to get it for her anyway. Sounds like something that she will stop using by mid-January but hopefully not.

I am NOT looking for something cheap, I am looking for something that actually works and as the Dr, Oz show stated just because it's expansive doesn't mean it's best.

I was just looking for real peoples advice here, since it's a forum. I can google reviews online, but that's not what I was looking for. I realize that reviews have affiliate links attached to it, and again that's not what I am after.

Also, the heart rate is for health reasons, and my daughter does not even know she is getting it.

Simply trying to find something that works if that's the Fitbit good. And certainly not spending money on "cheap activity band from China.

I can get a free activity tracker in my Vector cereal box!!!
Dec 17, 2015
5 posts
Petrolia, ON
Thanks that's good advice :)

Captain A. will get a screen protector. Hope you got yours fixed
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Waste of money. I'm using iPhone's "Health" app. I think android has something similiar.
+1000

Bought one, tried it, kept it for 2 days, returned it.
Dec 16, 2003
682 posts
21 upvotes
Scar
if you don't need the Heard Rate Monitor, I strongly recommend the XiaoMi Band, I think you can get it for less than $10 USD shipped now with the JD.com code

edit: even though it is a "cheap" Chinese product, but it is solid product
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
Problem is many are water resistant and not waterproof. I wanna be wearing it when I'm swimming or in the showers to get a more accurate read on a full day's activity.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Heres the article on a study testing wearable tech and phone apps.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ting-steps

My opinion is to just use or buy an app. You're usually carrying your phone with you at all times, which makes it convenient. Wearable fitness trackers I think are really for fashion and to show off while at the gym or to let public know you track your fitness. Lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
I don't have a Fitbit but I've been using a Garmin tracker for the past 13 months and believe in them. They are incredibly motivational.

Fitbit is the market leader. The HR is known to be very good except that the HR function has a lag and doesn't work very well during short bursts of intensity. Otherwise it's fine.

The trick with these bands is the eco system around it. Fitbit's is generally rated excellent. The only downside I'm aware of is that Fitbits aren't known to be waterproof.
Phils
Feb 12, 2009
262 posts
43 upvotes
North York
I have had the surge since may and love it. Hr is pretty accurate
Jan 4, 2014
9 posts
Kitchener
I've never been a fan of fitness bands, I'd rather delve into healthy lifestyle and have fun physically, mentally and spiritually all the time. Fitbits make activity seem like a chore. They just add to the hustle bustle of society where we time and measure everything. Like, a tracker for activity, sleep and heart rate? Really? Also -- not fashionable at all unless you get into some of the more expensive brands ... I'm really not into wearing a fitness band with a watch and rings, yikes.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
redpolygon wrote: I've never been a fan of fitness bands, I'd rather delve into healthy lifestyle and have fun physically, mentally and spiritually all the time. Fitbits make activity seem like a chore. They just add to the hustle bustle of society where we time and measure everything. Like, a tracker for activity, sleep and heart rate? Really? Also -- not fashionable at all unless you get into some of the more expensive brands ... I'm really not into wearing a fitness band with a watch and rings, yikes.
+1. I bought one at Costco just to experiment with it. I haven't had a watch (or rings or other paraphernalia) since 2000 since I always carry a cell phone and I hated having that thing on my wrist. I know some like to, but that's just not me. A healthy lifestyle where you walk every day for 30+ min, work out every few days, cycle, not have to park the car closest to the store all of the time and do other activities is much better. A fitbit might make you feel better about yourself but if you really need one to be reminded to be active then having an active lifestyle is likely not a priority for you. It will end up in a drawer in a while, unused like 90% of the treadmills people are buying this month.

I returned mine to Costco after a few days. The only time I wear anything on my wrist now is when I play tennis so that I can see how much time is remaining for our session. See? I play tennis too to be active!
Jun 20, 2015
701 posts
193 upvotes
Place
I have my fitbit charge HR for 7 months now and I still love it! I use it now as my regular watch.
Apr 5, 2008
34 posts
3 upvotes
Kitchener
I recently got the Charge HR and like it as a product overall. I find through normal use the heart rate monitor seems to be fairly consistent but gets a bit wonky during exercise, after any excise that requires any arm movement it seems to lose signal and requires about 15 seconds to pick up my heart rate again.

My opinion is that having a product like the Charge HR isn't useful just tracking data as much as using the data to make improvements. In my particular case it has helped convince me to try to sleep a bit more.
Sep 17, 2007
172 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
cl168 wrote: I recently got the Charge HR and like it as a product overall. I find through normal use the heart rate monitor seems to be fairly consistent but gets a bit wonky during exercise, after any excise that requires any arm movement it seems to lose signal and requires about 15 seconds to pick up my heart rate again.

My opinion is that having a product like the Charge HR isn't useful just tracking data as much as using the data to make improvements. In my particular case it has helped convince me to try to sleep a bit more.
Similar to CL168, I like mine (though I got mine as a present) though i may have gotten something different had I been the one paying for it... my concern is the HR function during HIIT movement... I'm now debating getting a Wahoo Tickr X, or a polar or garmin but I hate wasting gifts :(
Jan 4, 2016
61 posts
2 upvotes
Westmount, QC
No. Why would you give a company biometric datanaboit you?