• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2010 10:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4494 posts
42 upvotes
Got 5 prints and they actually came out alright! but I never realized how poorly calibrated my monitor is :(
Apr 20, 2005
460 posts
26 upvotes
I was just uploading a bunch of images to print, got the price that was promised, was really excited about printing that many images for a great price, then it came to the Terms and Condtions
http://blacks.pnimedia.com/disclaimers/terms.aspx

Some stuff that I hope people consider....
- In order for us to transmit your photos to Black's Photo Corporationfor fulfillment, we need the right to make use of all content on the service (in accordance with and subject to the following) You grant to the Web Site and its service providers and licensees a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, unrestricted, world-wide right and license to access, use, copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, perform, communicate to the public, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, and otherwise use such Materials (in whole or in part) in connection with the Service, using any form, media or technology now known or later developed, without providing compensation to you or any other person, without any liability to you or any other person, and free from any obligation of confidence or other duties on the part of the Web Site or its service providers solely for the purpose of providing the service;
- You represent and warrant to the Company and its service providers and all members and other Service users that (i) their use of the Materials does not and will not violate or infringe the rights (including copyright, moral rights, and other intellectual property rights and privacy and personality rights) of any other person or any laws and (ii) you have all the rights necessary to grant all rights and licenses set forth above.

You also grant to the Web Site and its service providers the right to use your name in connection with the Materials.

Not a big fan of creating a situation where they are positioning this as a way to use any of these images for stock photography etc and place any releases back on the person that uploaded these images.

Decided to pass on this and will pay a little more and have them printed someplace else that does not place these kinds of conditions on their consumers
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3017 posts
328 upvotes
hazman wrote:
Jan 31st, 2010 11:40 pm
I was just uploading a bunch of images to print, got the price that was promised, was really excited about printing that many images for a great price, then it came to the Terms and Condtions

Not a big fan of creating a situation where they are positioning this as a way to use any of these images for stock photography etc and place any releases back on the person that uploaded these images.

Decided to pass on this and will pay a little more and have them printed someplace else that does not place these kinds of conditions on their consumers
That is frickin' ridiculous. This should be written up somewhere...anyone have press contacts?
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Apr 20, 2005
460 posts
26 upvotes
Since I am really looking at a bulk print for tests, I just checked the Costco licencing....
Ironically, this is the same fulfillment facilitator, but it is very different.

http://costco.pnimedia.com/disclaimers/terms.aspx
In order for us to transmit your photos to Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. and/or Costco Enterprises Inc. (collectively, "Costco") for fulfillment, we need the right to make use of all content on the Service (in accordance with and subject to these Terms). Accordingly, as a condition to your use, you hereby grant PhotoChannel a perpetual, universal, nonexclusive right to copy, display, modify, transmit, make derivative works of and distribute any content transmitted or provided to the Service by you, solely for the purpose of providing the Service. In no event will PhotoChannel print or display any content provided by you, other than in accordance with any activity initiated by you (e.g. photo sharing, printing, etc.). You remain the owner of all content that you submit to the Service and as a condition to use, you represent and warrant to PhotoChannel that you are the owner of the copyright to content you submit to the Service or that you have written permission from the copyright owner to submit such content.
This is much more agreeable for most people.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
hazman wrote:

MOTHER******S!!!

I uploaded pictures of other people and my sister, I would not want her face be used anywhere for advertising purposes. This is so cheap! Is there anything that can be done? I haven't picked up the prints yet nor paid for them.
I would rather print at regular price elsewhere (especially since the only reason I uploaded 40 images is because they're $1 each, so why not. I don't actually need those 40 images).

Really pissed. Who knows what they will use it for.
Jun 30, 2009
804 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]You represent and warrant to the Company and its service providers and all members and other Service users that (i) their use of the Materials does not and will not violate or infringe the rights (including copyright, moral rights, and other intellectual property rights and privacy and personality rights) of any other person or any laws and (ii) you have all the rights necessary to grant all rights and licenses set forth above.

You also grant to the Web Site and its service providers the right to use your name in connection with the Materials.[/QUOTE]
Good thing my photos suck and they would never want them :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
are you guys forreal?

argh why didnt i see this before?!!?!?!

sent in 80 prints....
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11993 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
hazman wrote:

neltron3030 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2010 11:46 pm
That is frickin' ridiculous. This should be written up somewhere...anyone have press contacts?
hazman wrote:
Jan 31st, 2010 11:59 pm
Since I am really looking at a bulk print for tests, I just checked the Costco licencing....
Ironically, this is the same fulfillment facilitator, but it is very different.

http://costco.pnimedia.com/disclaimers/terms.aspx

This is much more agreeable for most people.
I don't think this is totally because of Black's, but rather PNIMedia. If you print in store (either by dropping off a disc/media card or by using the in-store kiosks), there is no such agreement, like the one that is presented by PNIMedia. Besides, all they do is accept the order, then transfer the photos to the lab computer for processing and printing. I've never been a fan of PNIMedia myself. The safest way if you want your photos to be "touched" by the least amount of people would be to bring a DVD to the store.

With photo resolutions constantly going up, sometimes uploading hundreds of megs isn't practical.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote:
Feb 1st, 2010 9:57 am
With photo resolutions constantly going up, sometimes uploading hundreds of megs isn't practical.
Because my first batch was sooooo huge I ended up bringing a CD in with the images. They were quite understanding esp because my files were 9-10MB each. I know I could have compressed but was wayy too lazy for that.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11993 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2010 10:49 am
Because my first batch was sooooo huge I ended up bringing a CD in with the images. They were quite understanding esp because my files were 9-10MB each. I know I could have compressed but was wayy too lazy for that.
They would prefer if you bring in a CD/DVD... as processing time versus downloading everything from PNIMedia will take a lot longer. Even with 18MB JPEGs, I remember being able to whip through them fairly quickly, even faster if you specify no corrections.
Deal with it.
Jun 1, 2008
143 posts
7 upvotes
I wonder what would happen let say if someone printed a picture from the leaf game where it has on their site (or the ACC site) that pictures can't be used for commerical use or something like that, then you print one of your photos and then pnimedia uses it. Would MLSE come after you or the PNImedia? What about pervious copyrights ppl have on their photos are those go out the window?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8264 posts
918 upvotes
hazman wrote:

Good catch.

I doubt my photos would ever be used for anything (just family photos) but that is an uncool set T&C's.

I suggest we RFD effect their complaints channel.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
What does this mean exactly?

For instance, I take a picture of a car, and then Black's uses that photo for commercial purposes. The manufacturer of the car then calls Black's and says you can't use that photo of our stuff. Black's says, it's not their problem, and redirects the car manufacturer to me and says I'm responsible.

Then the car manufacturer sues for using that photo, but Black's says I illegally granted them permission to use that photo, and so it ends up that I get sued?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
7827 posts
1110 upvotes
Montreal
hellzno wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 5:09 pm
On the plus side, the photos turned out great and the service was super fast!
I was really satisfied with my photos as well and I agree it was fast...

Glossy photos came out the best... Matte was so-so...
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2153 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
I got my pictures from Black's today and I am disappointed.

I am not sure if it is monitor calibration or it could be their software that did some modification after the upload.

For my portrait pictures, the subject's hair was darken a lot more than the original picture, which killed all the details in the hair. The overall contrast level is too much.

Was there an option in the upload process to disable any post processing by the retailer?