None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
zero_2003 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 12:05 am
I got my pictures from Black's today and I am disappointed.

I am not sure if it is monitor calibration or it could be their software that did some modification after the upload.

For my portrait pictures, the subject's hair was darken a lot more than the original picture, which killed all the details in the hair. The overall contrast level is too much.

Was there an option in the upload process to disable any post processing by the retailer?
They auto-adjust (probably same newbie "1 button fix all" type of auto-adjuster Picasa uses) is ON by default. My pictures also came out dark and not the way I see them on monitor. I will ask for reprint on at least 5 of 40 that I printed. You need to specify that you want no auto adjustment.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12095 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
zero_2003 wrote:
I got my pictures from Black's today and I am disappointed.

I am not sure if it is monitor calibration or it could be their software that did some modification after the upload.

For my portrait pictures, the subject's hair was darken a lot more than the original picture, which killed all the details in the hair. The overall contrast level is too much.

Was there an option in the upload process to disable any post processing by the retailer?
The PNIMedia software likely does do some touch up. I've said it before, if you want the least amount of people or machines handling your photos, bring it into a store in-person.
Deal with it.
Feb 5, 2010
19 posts
Toronto
WOW. This is a very very good price from Blacks. Thanks OP. I will be uploading!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16911 posts
4600 upvotes
Toronto
StudioBin wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 7:36 pm
WOW. This is a very very good price from Blacks. Thanks OP. I will be uploading!
This deal expired last Sunday.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16911 posts
4600 upvotes
Toronto
For those of you who are Costco members, their photo lab does 8X10's for $1.44 regular price.
Apr 20, 2005
460 posts
26 upvotes
zero_2003 wrote:
With most of them, there is an option on one of the pages, but it is not exactly easy to find.
I noticed this on one of the services and it clicked in my head that this was the problem in the past.

But I have recently purchased a new printer, spent time profiling it and can print from home. It costs more than the blacks deal per 8x10, but these are mainly tests anyway.