• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 4:10 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2014
785 posts
239 upvotes
Ottawa

Fizz Mobile to Launch in Quebec/Ottawa

It's Videotron's answer to Chatr and Lucky - but with LTE speeds.
Quebec-based regional carrier Videotron confirmed to MobileSyrup that it’s behind a new ‘Fizz’ flanker brand initiative. Videotron added thatt it will provide more information “later this year when Fizz officially launches.” According to the Fizz website, the carrier is a “new kind of mobile provider that runs on a lightning-quick LTE network, but without the frills, fees and extras.”

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/09/13/new- ... g-service/
Thread Summary
NEW DEADLINE: TUESDAY NOV. 20

$7 per month for 3 months of Unlimited Voice/Texts + 8 GB LTE Data (each month) + Canada/USA coverage + Voicemail, Call display, Call waiting, Call transfer, Conference calling, etc.

Videotron will soon launch a discount cellular service called Fizz. At the moment, they are looking for beta testers.

It used to be by invitation only, but now, you don't need an invitation to get this deal. The beta testing period is now OPENED TO EVERYONE IN THE PROVINCE OF QUÉBEC AND THE GREATER OTTAWA REGION.

DO NOT POST OR ASK FOR A REFERRAL CODE IN THIS THREAD.
THAT'S AGAINST RFD RULES.

Beta testing sounds like they are not ready but that is not the case. The Web Site is well done and so far, at least for me, Downtown Montréal, the voice, data and messaging services are working well.

It’s on a quick LTE network. I get 90 Mbps/30 Mbps Downloading/Uploading. Don't do like I did, at 90 Mbps, I used over 1 GB of data in a couple of minutes on the first day just to make the tests. 😂 You don't need to test it, it's fast.

You need an unlocked mobile phone and a credit card to pay. There’s no credit check since it's all pre-paid. Visa debit and Mastercard debit also work.

If you apply, where they ask for a phone number to create an account, don't worry, you are not making any commitment. You will still have the option later to transfer (port) a phone number to Fizz or to choose a new one. They did not call me at the phone number I supplied.

You will be asked to fill out surveys to record your feedback. So far, I got two quick surveys in over a month.

There is no contract, you can cancel at any time, no strings attached.

Unused data rolls over for the next 2 billing cycles. You can also "gift" unused data to other Fizz members or receive gifts from them.

Depending on what you choose, your price per month could be between $2 and $8 per month, for 3 months, taxes and 911 fee included!

The SIM will cost you $1 extra plus taxes and will be delivered to you by courier. There is an express 2 hour delivery service available for $1 extra.

There is a referral program. Once you are a customer, you get a referral code that you can give to someone to use when they join Fizz and activate their SIM card. When that person makes its second monthly payment, you will get a $25 credit in your Fizz account. When your referred friend makes its second monthly payment, she/he will earn a $25 credit. It's $25 each !

If you don't have someone's referral code, GET ONE BEFORE activating your SIM card to get the $25 credit.

Google "Fizz referral code" to go to the Reddit thread where you can pick one at random.

Once you get that credit, your Full mobile Service will be almost FREE for 3 months.

After the beta period, you can cancel or stay and pay regular rates which will still be among the most competitive on the market says Fizz. Those rates are not officially known at the moment because they have not launched yet. They are still in a beta testing period. But they will have to be competitive with the other discount carriers like Koodo, Fido, PM, Lucky, etc. or else people won't stay. You can check the Reddit link at the bottom of this post to get an idea of what the regular rates might be once Fizz has launched officially.

Here is the link to the previous thread on RFD.

Credit to “AlexCorniveau” the OP of that previous thread, who showed a real "Douche Bag" attitude and got banned from RFD. If you read that thread, you will notice that he p!ssed-off a lot of people so they turned on him calling him a “shill’’ for promoting the deal. Yet I don’t think he was. He was just an eager a$$hole. But that should not deprive RFDers from taking advantage of a good deal on a good product. And before anybody asks, no, I’m not a “shill” nor a Fizz employee. I’ve been on RFD for over 7 years. I have no interest whatsoever in this deal whether you join or not.

Consider the plan you presently have before canceling anything.

The best situation for taking advantage of this deal is if you have a cell phone but no contract with a provider at the moment. You can just jump on this deal for now and see what’s available in 3 months. Or if you have an extra phone laying around or a Dual-SIM phone for taking advantage of cheap data and save on minutes from your current plan.

Of course, if you already have a good grandfathered plan, with a balance to pay if you leave, and don’t want to suspend or cancel it for 3 months and tell your friends and family that you will have a new phone number, this deal might not be for you.

You have to calculate if the savings versus the fees that switching would imply are worth the hassle. Like the “suspend my service for 3 months” fee. I was told over chat by Fizz that there are no fees from Fizz to port a number IN or OUT.

Planning a trip inside Canada or to the USA? That deal could be a cheap option for cellular voice and data since roaming is included if you select the Canada/USA coverage.

Go to Fizz.ca and follow the instructions.

General Fizz thread on Reddit

What the regular pricing could be Reddit

Financial Post
135 replies
May 8, 2009
6935 posts
3083 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
W00t, just signed up for beta testing. If they give free wireless service during beta testing, I'll definitely take it. Else even for a small fee, I can bring over one of the lines to try it out.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11807 posts
1274 upvotes
Kanata
I don't see any enticement to move over, unless they offer a family discount like Videotron does now.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2014
785 posts
239 upvotes
Ottawa
goofball wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 7:31 am
I don't see any enticement to move over, unless they offer a family discount like Videotron does now.
and shared data.

At least they have data carryover like Public mobile.
Dec 18, 2016
64 posts
46 upvotes
I just got the beta access, next 3 month Unlimited, 8Gb for 5.5$
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11807 posts
1274 upvotes
Kanata
yow2kvil wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:43 am
and shared data.

At least they have data carryover like Public mobile.
The data carry over, is interesting, though I will reserve judgment until they release final details on how long it carries over for.
I would prefer no shared data between family, to be honest. Right now, everyone has 6GB to manage on their own, and it works well.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2014
785 posts
239 upvotes
Ottawa
goofball wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 8:56 pm

I would prefer no shared data between family, to be honest. Right now, everyone has 6GB to manage on their own, and it works well.
With Videotron, shared data is optional. It's a great option for my wife and I since I use most of it. It's cheaper than having two separate data allotments.
Dec 18, 2016
64 posts
46 upvotes
So it's live, my sim got activated today. Everything is working as expected after my portability.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1598 posts
375 upvotes
Ottawa
Can you port number too?
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Feb 29, 2016
103 posts
46 upvotes
Received my SIM card yesterday and I can't access my self serve account. It's written "Account locked"???

Even when I try to reset my password, the link provided in the email takes me to a sign up process.
What can I do?
Jan 13, 2017
168 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a gimmick to me. If the rumor plans were true, they are still expensive when you can get $49/8GB with any carriers in QC.
Apr 23, 2016
39 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa and Montreal
You can select the province as a home zone, or the whole country - for a couple $ more.

But it seems you can also add the US as a home zone, for a few more $. That makes unlimited US roaming to be included in your plan!! That one is quite amazing!

Anyone tested it yet? (And has the exact pricings for the above)
Mar 6, 2015
261 posts
188 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I've ordered the SIM. I figure it's pretty cheap for 3 months and will help stretch my $100/year pay as you go phone balance out longer while I keep waiting for a longer term plan I can live with. More than 100mb/data a month will be nice for a change. I have a dual SIM phone, so I don't plan to port my number.