• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 9:01 am
Mar 6, 2015
262 posts
189 upvotes
Quebec, QC
superxxxstud wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 8:58 am
Are you not paying attention? This is videotron's version of Koodo.

Why would anyone cancel their current provider, sign up for this for three months, then port back out as you realize rates are similar but Koodo offers phone purchase promos is beyond me? Seems like a whole waste of time..
Dual sim phone. Out of country visitors over the holidays. Usually use a cheap, annual, pay as you go plan, so not using the money on the plan for 3 months is just a bonus.

That said, I've been on the beta test for over 3 weeks now, and I have not once as of yet had everything (data, text, phone calls, voice messages) all working properly at the same time. They still have a lot of bugs to work out.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3026 posts
1168 upvotes
rolomonster wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:40 am
Title is a little confusing "OPEN TO ALL" if it's only open to Quebec/Ottawa is a little misleading.
Isn't title clear enough? [Fizz.ca] NOW OPEN TO ALL Unlimited voice/text/8GB LTE data cell plan $8/month for 3 months Québec prov. + Ottawa region
Apr 8, 2015
568 posts
491 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
yeahwhat wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:48 am
Dual sim phone. Out of country visitors over the holidays. Usually use a cheap, annual, pay as you go plan, so not using the money on the plan for 3 months is just a bonus.

That said, I've been on the beta test for over 3 weeks now, and I have not once as of yet had everything (data, text, phone calls, voice messages) all working properly at the same time. They still have a lot of bugs to work out.
So you are telling me this plan is great for out of country visitors while its on a temporary beta testing phase? You must really not like your inlaws :)
Mar 6, 2015
262 posts
189 upvotes
Quebec, QC
superxxxstud wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:58 am
So you are telling me this plan is great for out of country visitors while its on a temporary beta testing phase? You must really not like your inlaws :)
Well, data at least has worked completely consistently for me, and other things are getting better/ more consistent. I'm assuming by December, they'll have finally figured things out. Other people have had little to no problems with the service. My inlaws would find a data connection alone a huge improvement over their usual no cell phone or borrow one from us when they're leaving the house situation. Data = ability to be in contact via messenger or skype, plus get live directions and bus route info. There's no such thing as a cheap burner phone or sim in Canada compared to other countries.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1729 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
This deal has been posted in its many variations over time and I keep getting the feeling it's like a sponsored ad.

No phone deal is worth any amount of money if it's only for 3 months and you have no idea what comes after that. Just not worth the headache.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5471 posts
1631 upvotes
Eli2015 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:37 am
what a weird comment. Vidéotron has the best customer service in Canada , its not even a close call. The reliability of their internet and tv service has also no match so Im not sure why all the hate. If its what I think it might be then it says alot some members here.
What a weird comment. The evaluation of a provider is very subjective. Vidoétron has just as bad practices as the others, and they make the same bet that most people will just give up. When the customer doesn't (give up), then sure, perhaps they're a little better at actually answering the phone call and trying to please the few that do call in. Still doesn't change the marketing tactic to srew everyone, and then deal with the minority that calls to complain. Everyone I know (and, it's not necessarily a lot but it's the sample I have access too) always complains of bad reception/service with Vidoétron. They also complain just as much as Bell/Rogers customers as far as billing issues. But they do say they get a better service when they do call in. Then, the plans themselves, when compared, really aren't that much better when you consider all the nitty gritty. They might give you a little more data, but then it doesn't work as well as others, and when you end up roaming, the roaming rates are worse then others, as unimaginable as it seems. So I'm not sure, in the real World, on a yearly basis it's really cheaper. The plan might seem cheaper on paper, but once you use the options/roaming/etc it averages out to the same thing.

Of course, from my perspective, I mostly just go by what I hear from friends and relatives, because, aside from cell phone which I get from a no contract BYOD Fido plan on what I consider very reliable Rogers network, I gave up all cable/phone/internet service from the major players over 6 years ago, and never looked back. My cell (Fido) and internet (Ebox) services have been cheap, reliable, and hassle-free ever since. No more calling in every month to fix billing issues. I get my (true HD) TV from OTA and for content I turn to the interwebs. I don't need a landline, my unlimited everything with 4Gb data for 34$ with Fido is plenty.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who thinks it's very weird to expect customers to sign up for a service you won't even know how much will end up costing. It's just very unfriendly. Not a good way for a well-advised consumer to shop smartly, which is what RFD is about. Saving for 3 months, if it means having to also keep your current service active (and therefore involving some added costs) in the meantime, only to then end up with possible headaches afterwards, is contrary to smart shopping. That's what I meant by gimmick, a fool's errand. It's not a weird comment, it's just common sense.
DoorCrasher wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:22 am
And why? you think that Bhell is better? or Robbers? or Telus?
Nope. I addressed this above. So, maybe Vidoétron is "less worse than the others". That doesn't mean it's any better.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1076 posts
668 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
WHO wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:32 pm
What a weird comment. The evaluation of a provider is very subjective. Vidoétron has just as bad practices as the others, and they make the same bet that most people will just give up. When the customer doesn't (give up), then sure, perhaps they're a little better at actually answering the phone call and trying to please the few that do call in. Still doesn't change the marketing tactic to srew everyone, and then deal with the minority that calls to complain. Everyone I know (and, it's not necessarily a lot but it's the sample I have access too) always complains of bad reception/service with Vidoétron. They also complain just as much as Bell/Rogers customers as far as billing issues. But they do say they get a better service when they do call in. Then, the plans themselves, when compared, really aren't that much better when you consider all the nitty gritty. They might give you a little more data, but then it doesn't work as well as others, and when you end up roaming, the roaming rates are worse then others, as unimaginable as it seems. So I'm not sure, in the real World, on a yearly basis it's really cheaper. The plan might seem cheaper on paper, but once you use the options/roaming/etc it averages out to the same thing.

Of course, from my perspective, I mostly just go by what I hear from friends and relatives, because, aside from cell phone which I get from a no contract BYOD Fido plan on what I consider very reliable Rogers network, I gave up all cable/phone/internet service from the major players over 6 years ago, and never looked back. My cell (Fido) and internet (Ebox) services have been cheap, reliable, and hassle-free ever since. No more calling in every month to fix billing issues. I get my (true HD) TV from OTA and for content I turn to the interwebs. I don't need a landline, my unlimited everything with 4Gb data for 34$ with Fido is plenty.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who thinks it's very weird to expect customers to sign up for a service you won't even know how much will end up costing. It's just very unfriendly. Not a good way for a well-advised consumer to shop smartly, which is what RFD is about. Saving for 3 months, if it means having to also keep your current service active (and therefore involving some added costs) in the meantime, only to then end up with possible headaches afterwards, is contrary to smart shopping. That's what I meant by gimmick, a fool's errand. It's not a weird comment, it's just common sense.

Nope. I addressed this above. So, maybe Vidoétron is "less worse than the others". That doesn't mean it's any better.
Technically speaking if something is less worse, it is better. Whether or not it is good is another discussion.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2572 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
Videotron has somewhat good receiption because it's free roaming onto Bell or Rogers towers.

Will Fizz get the same?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3026 posts
1168 upvotes
WHO wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:32 pm

Well… if it less worse, isn't it better? ;)

Koodo = Telus Virgin = Bell Fido = Rogers Fizz = Videotron there is some left, but not that much! I am not with Videotron for the mobile, but I have all other services with them, and, after beign with BHell there is a huge difference between both. Never Bell again. But nothing is perfect in this world...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5290 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
For USA+Canada coverage it states "You can use your monthly plan (data, text and minutes) in the coverage area you choose."

Does that mean I can use my 8gb in the US without extra charges?

Beta is fine, but they should post their plan prices lol
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1792 posts
1498 upvotes
Montreal
timbertick wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 5:55 am
Do they support wifi calling?
They talk about Wi-Fi calling here. They talk about VoIP (that can be done over Wi-Fi) here.
AMD wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:09 am
I had signed up for the beta invitation and got the invite but decided it was not worth my time since they give no indication of the after-launch pricing.
Tcalp wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 6:12 am
This has to be the dumbest launch my a major telecom ever! Come give us money, and hope you like our prices when we tell you what they are lol ... who has **** time for that ?
They have not launched yet. They are in a beta testing period. “You can check the Reddit link at the bottom of this post to get an idea of what the regular rates might be once Fizz has launched officially.
HyperTech wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 6:32 am
So, is it 8gb per month during 3 months or 8gb total for the 3 months?
8 GB per month.
the_cid666 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:33 am
Who is backing this new company? Sorry if it's been mentionned, have not seen. Is this "freedom 2.0" with very limited funding and poor network support? Or is videotton backing this to improve their reach outside of QC? Also since it's Vidéotron network, then phones may not be fully compatible with all Bell/Rogers device, correct? Ultimately, I think that who they actually are matters as much as what they are charging. Not considering at this time, but thanks OP for the info.
Videotron (Québecor) is behind Fizz. You can check your phone compatibility here.
andrew_canada wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 8:20 am
"Now open to all" is misleading. Can't order SIM unless you have QC address.
rolomonster wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:40 am
Title is a little confusing "OPEN TO ALL" if it's only open to Quebec/Ottawa is a little misleading.
When you post a new thread, the number of characters allowed in the title is limited. I have tried hard to put as much info as possible in the title, being miserly with each character. Yet at the same time, I tried to say something that would emphasize that it was only by invitation before but it is now open to everyone… in the province of Québec and the Greater Ottawa region. I have modified my title again. I hope it is clearer now.
superxxxstud wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 8:58 am
(…) Why would anyone cancel their current provider, sign up for this for three months, then port back out as you realize rates are similar but Koodo offers phone purchase promos is beyond me? Seems like a whole waste of time..
You don’t need to cancel your current provider or port your number to Fizz. You can suspend your service for 3 months and get a new number. Not everyone uses the phone purchase promos from the carriers because you often end-up paying much more for your phone than what it can be bought for elsewhere. In the long run, it’s the service that is the most expensive item, not the price of buying a phone. It’s often cheaper to surf whoever has the best current promo for the service than stick with an overpriced service provider for years because you have a balance to pay or because they gave you a good deal once on a phone years ago. Everyone’s situation and needs are different and have to be evaluated. To each their own.
aerohead888 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:08 am
(…) This is just an MVNO, not a separate set of infrastructure. They will still use the same towers, just different branding.
I’m not sure about that. I think they might use Videotron’s tower in some areas and Videotron’s partnership with Rogers for roaming but their own antennas and equipment elsewhere because if it was the established Videotron’s service with a different Website, there would not be any kinks, would it?
yeahwhat wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:48 am
(…) That said, I've been on the beta test for over 3 weeks now, and I have not once as of yet had everything (data, text, phone calls, voice messages) all working properly at the same time. They still have a lot of bugs to work out.
Then maybe you deserve a 33% rebate for your trouble i.e $2.50 for the first month. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes It’s called a beta testing period.
esq05 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 11:53 am
This deal has been posted in its many variations over time and I keep getting the feeling it's like a sponsored ad. No phone deal is worth any amount of money if it's only for 3 months and you have no idea what comes after that. Just not worth the headache.
I’m sorry, that’s my fault. I’m enthusiastic about that deal and I like to put a lot of information in the threads I start. Yet as you can see by the replies, many people still have questions. “You can check the Reddit link at the bottom of this post to get an idea of what the regular rates might be once Fizz has launched officially.” If you want certainty, go with Bell. You can be certain… to overpay for years with no headaches. :)
Akitakara wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 2:12 pm
Videotron has somewhat good receiption because it's free roaming onto Bell or Rogers towers. Will Fizz get the same?
Fizz uses Videotron’s tower, shares equipment and Videotron's partnerships with other carriers like Rogers.
greg123 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:12 pm
For USA+Canada coverage it states "You can use your monthly plan (data, text and minutes) in the coverage area you choose." Does that mean I can use my 8gb in the US without extra charges?
Yes.
greg123 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:12 pm
(…)Beta is fine, but they should post their plan prices lol
They will once they have officially launched. The fact that the regular rates were posted in the beginning but taken off the Website shows that it was a business mistake. You don’t advertise your rates during a beta testing period for the competition to see long in advance and undercut you. That's business 101.

[Edited because of thread merge.]
Last edited by Temporel on Nov 8th, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2009
108 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Just to clarify something that I think people should know:
once you got the invitation link in you email, you can click on it and it will walk through you to a point that ask you to choose the service you want (voice/txt/msg/data etc), only in that moment it tells you the monthly fee you pay ranging from 4 to 8$ but at same time, it also show you the "regular" monthly prices. I did a very quick comparison with Fido and koodo etc, and it is very similar to the the others' BYOP plans. If at that moment. you think this is not what you are looking for, you just end the set up process by closing the browser.
another thing to note about Fizz.ca is that it allow you to configure what services (voice/txt/msg/data etc), you want same as Publicmobile or chatr.
I mainly signed this up to use on my wife's cellphone as 2nd sim with data service activated. she did not like the data before because she think it is expensive. but now she think it is very convenient.
Last edited by st-d on Nov 4th, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14938 posts
4279 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:53 am

I don't think it's fair to call this a promotional teaser rate or a gimmick. They are launching a new brand. The intent is clearly not to attract customers and then bump up the price. It's a rate to compensate for inconveniences of the kinks present during a beta testing period. The service is not perfect in every area. There were and there still are issues to be solved. That's why you pay so little.
Six of one and a half dozen of another. Cheap rate for 3 months and no idea what the rate is afterwards.

The regular rates were originally posted on the Fizz Website along with the discounted rates. They have been taken down.
What are those rates? Will they be the same after this 3 month beta?
I'm sure you would understand from a competitive point of view that you would not want to help too much your competition by advertising your rates long in advance of officially launching. But they were there long enough for someone to post them on Reddit. Follow the link. That is not a promise but it gives an idea. The rates might be lower or at least similar to other discount carriers or else people won't stay.
From a competitive point of view they should advertise their rates to get people to sign up. They seem to fear the competition will offer a better rate and crowd them out of the market but i'm not the type to buy something when i don't even know the price. If you want to give me a blank cheque thats your business (i can send you my paypal address) but i'm not stupid enough to do so.
And if they think advertising their prices will cause problems then what kind of service are they offering? It suggests they can't compete.

My time and energy are valuable, i can't gamble and change over and over and even if i did and the mystery price is crappy then my other service which is at a locked in rate would be gone for good and i am screwed. And paying for two services hoping this one will workout is foolhardy and an extra aggravation and more work.

I'll give you an example, i have internet through TekSavvy. I could get cheaper internet elsewhere from companies with crappy service who don't show up to fix problems when they happen or screw upsetting up services, who have employees who can't understand a question or solve technical issues. I would save some money but pay for it in problems. And this is not a theoretical concern, i know people this has specifically happened to, one that i had to clean up.
Don't consider this deal as a "long-term" commitment. Take it for what it is: 3 months of almost Free unlimited minutes and 8 GB of LTE data. 3 months is a long time and it's easy to switch if needed during or after that period. This deal is not for you if you don't use all the minutes and all the data you already have every month with your plan.
3 months won't even get us to spring. On the plus side in 3 months i'll hopefully have found out if my new snowblower was a wise purchase.
I get that you love this mystery priced deal and nothing i say will change your mind.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1792 posts
1498 upvotes
Montreal
st-d wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 5:01 pm
Just to clarify something that I think people should know: once you got the invitation link in you email, you can click on it and it will walk through you to a point that ask you to choose the service you want (voice/txt/msg/data etc), only in that moment it tells you the monthly fee you pay ranging from 4 to 8$ but at same time, it also show you the "regular" monthly prices. I did a very quick comparison with Fido and koodo etc, and it is very similar to the the others' BYOP plans. If at that moment. you think this is not what you are looking for, you just end the set up process by closing the browser.
another thing to note about Fizz.ca is that it allow you to configure what services (voice/txt/msg/data etc), you want same as Publicmobile or chatr.
I mainly signed this up to use on my wife's cellphone as 2nd sim with data service activated. she did not like the data before because she think it is expensive. but now she think it is very convenient.

Thanks for posting. But there are no more invitation link in an email after applying and being selected. Now everyone can go directly to Fizz.ca and enroll in the beta testing period by creating a plan with whatever they want and see the price they will pay for the 3 months of the beta period. It could be as low as $1.25 (unlimited messages only) or $1.75 (unlimited voice only) + taxes and 911 fee. Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't show anymore the regular rates on the Desktop version of the Web site, only on the phone version. Somebody posted the rates on Reddit.

One of the perks of Fizz is the rolling over of the unused data for the next 2 billing cycles.

a.png
Last edited by Temporel on Nov 15th, 2018 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)