• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 9:01 am
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14938 posts
4279 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 6:31 pm
Thanks for posting. But there are no more invitation link in an email after applying and being selected. Now everyone can go directly to Fizz.ca and enroll in the beta testing period by creating a plan with whatever they want and see the price they will pay for the 3 months of the beta period. It could be as low as $1.25 (unlimited messages only) or $1.75 (unlimited voice only) + taxes and 911 fee. Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't show anymore the regular rates. It did before.
I have to ask was the name of the company inspired by the game of Fizzbin? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
It would explain a lot
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Fizzbin
The beatings will continue until morale improves
May 30, 2015
547 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WHO wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:32 pm
What a weird comment. The evaluation of a provider is very subjective. Vidoétron has just as bad practices as the others, and they make the same bet that most people will just give up. When the customer doesn't (give up), then sure, perhaps they're a little better at actually answering the phone call and trying to please the few that do call in. Still doesn't change the marketing tactic to srew everyone, and then deal with the minority that calls to complain. Everyone I know (and, it's not necessarily a lot but it's the sample I have access too) always complains of bad reception/service with Vidoétron. They also complain just as much as Bell/Rogers customers as far as billing issues. But they do say they get a better service when they do call in. Then, the plans themselves, when compared, really aren't that much better when you consider all the nitty gritty. They might give you a little more data, but then it doesn't work as well as others, and when you end up roaming, the roaming rates are worse then others, as unimaginable as it seems. So I'm not sure, in the real World, on a yearly basis it's really cheaper. The plan might seem cheaper on paper, but once you use the options/roaming/etc it averages out to the same thing.

Of course, from my perspective, I mostly just go by what I hear from friends and relatives, because, aside from cell phone which I get from a no contract BYOD Fido plan on what I consider very reliable Rogers network, I gave up all cable/phone/internet service from the major players over 6 years ago, and never looked back. My cell (Fido) and internet (Ebox) services have been cheap, reliable, and hassle-free ever since. No more calling in every month to fix billing issues. I get my (true HD) TV from OTA and for content I turn to the interwebs. I don't need a landline, my unlimited everything with 4Gb data for 34$ with Fido is plenty.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who thinks it's very weird to expect customers to sign up for a service you won't even know how much will end up costing. It's just very unfriendly. Not a good way for a well-advised consumer to shop smartly, which is what RFD is about. Saving for 3 months, if it means having to also keep your current service active (and therefore involving some added costs) in the meantime, only to then end up with possible headaches afterwards, is contrary to smart shopping. That's what I meant by gimmick, a fool's errand. It's not a weird comment, it's just common sense.

Nope. I addressed this above. So, maybe Vidoétron is "less worse than the others". That doesn't mean it's any better.
nope just nope. I have to deal with all the big Canadian providers for the past 20 years ((I could make over 1000 installations a year not so long ago) and the only one that stands out is Vidéotron. Cant say much about their cellular tower cause I only have 2 customers using them but when it comes to TV and internet access, regarding both the customer service and reliability , they have no match, they are all alone at the top.

Only now Bell starts to be as reliable with their FTTH but they still have a terrible customer support.

And regarding the "tactics" to get new customers they at least respect the price they tell you unlike Rogers and Bell.

Oh and btw, Im a currently with Koodo and Bell but moving to Fizz this week and with Vidéotron for Internet/TV/Landline when my Bell Fibe "contract" expires.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2014
796 posts
243 upvotes
Ottawa
WHO wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:32 pm
What a weird comment. The evaluation of a provider is very subjective.
Its not subjective. There are companies that measure and rank mobile networks and their service. And Videotron always scores high in both network quality and customer service.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/10/telu ... -jd-power/

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/v ... 48155.html

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/vide ... -jd-power/
Mar 13, 2012
438 posts
264 upvotes
Surrey
Wondering how much will be after 3 months
Aug 27, 2008
708 posts
447 upvotes
Ottawa
Just signed up to test out the 8GB data only plan for $4.75/month for 3 months.

Will use it in an old cell phone to create a hotspot.

Can't go wrong with this. Will just cancel before the regular price kicks in.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1341 posts
481 upvotes
Brossard, QC
I just ordered one sim. Is it better to ask my wife to order separately to take advantage the referal credit? Compared to Rogers or Fido, Sim card fee is alomost nothing. $1 plus tax and free shipping. I love Fizz. Haha... I will keep my Fido service and have a test first.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1792 posts
1498 upvotes
Montreal
wxw2015 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:56 pm
I just ordered one sim. Is it better to ask my wife to order separately to take advantage the referal credit? Compared to Rogers or Fido, Sim card fee is alomost nothing. $1 plus tax and free shipping. I love Fizz. Haha... I will keep my Fido service and have a test first.

Yes, have you wife open a separate account with her email address, order a SIM and use your referral code. This way, you will get a $25 credit and she will get a $25.credit.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2350 posts
813 upvotes
Got my sim just now.

Signed up, made a test call. Phone (iPhone 6) shows Fizz LTE - but data doesn't work.

Any ideas? I have roaming on. I can't actually see the APN settings. I'll try in an Android phone later, but I'm guessing... it's just a network issue?
Jan 1, 2012
407 posts
75 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
Now on their homepage: IMPORTANT: To take advantage of the beta prices, your phone number must be activated with Fizz no later than this Saturday, November 10.
Jan 1, 2012
407 posts
75 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
Does anyone know about calling to the usa from Quebec, whether its free on the quebec only plan? And what about on the Canada + usa plan is calling to the usa included ?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1341 posts
481 upvotes
Brossard, QC
daverobev wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:59 pm
Got my sim just now.

Signed up, made a test call. Phone (iPhone 6) shows Fizz LTE - but data doesn't work.

Any ideas? I have roaming on. I can't actually see the APN settings. I'll try in an Android phone later, but I'm guessing... it's just a network issue?
It seems that you need update iOs to 12.1. And there is an APN setting there on the website.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5290 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
SaversSave wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 2:05 pm
Now on their homepage: IMPORTANT: To take advantage of the beta prices, your phone number must be activated with Fizz no later than this Saturday, November 10.
so no point in ordering the sim now unless it can arrive by the 10th, which I doubt?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2350 posts
813 upvotes
wxw2015 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 2:45 pm
It seems that you need update iOs to 12.1. And there is an APN setting there on the website.
Thanks yeah I got that through live chat - and it does work now.

In general -> about it shows Carrier = Fizz 34.1 rather than Videotron 33.0.

Awesome.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)